What are you reading?

Al McReady

Lee and Andrew Child - Jack Reacher 27 - No Plan B

Gerrardsville, Colorado. One tragic event. Two witnesses. Two conflicting accounts. One witness sees a woman throw herself in front of a bus—clearly suicide.

The other witness is Jack Reacher. And he sees what really happened—a man in grey hoodie and jeans, swift and silent as a shadow, pushed the victim to her death, before grabbing her bag and sauntering away.

Reacher follows the killer on foot, not knowing that this was no random act of violence. It is part of something much bigger...a sinister, secret conspiracy, with powerful people on the take, enmeshed in an elaborate plot that leaves no room for error. If any step is compromised, the threat will have to be quickly and permanently removed.

But when the threat is Reacher, there is no plan B....

S2NZzn0.jpg

• Like 2

H is for Hawk tells Macdonald's story of the year she spent training a northern goshawk in the wake of her father's death. Her father, Alisdair Macdonald, was a respected photojournalist who died suddenly of a heart attack in 2007. Having been a falconer for many years, she purchased a young goshawk to help her through the grieving process.

H_is_for_Hawk_(Macdonald_novel).jpg

Big Fall fan, so this should be ideal for me. 

Mark E Smith must have been close on impossible to live, or work with. Totally up himself, and never wrong. In bits of his rants though, find myself agreeing with him.

No pretence on show, proper guy and a reasonable read

image.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Big Fall fan, so this should be ideal for me. 

Mark E Smith must have been close on impossible to live, or work with. Totally up himself, and never wrong. In bits of his rants though, find myself agreeing with him.

No pretence on show, proper guy and a reasonable read

image.png

Heard alot about Mark and how he's respected in the music industry, but not really familiar with The Falls music.

Considering I'm a big music fan it's a bit strange 😅

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Heard alot about Mark and how he's respected in the music industry, but not really familiar with The Falls music.

Considering I'm a big music fan it's a bit strange 😅

The Fall are quite an aquired taste, never had much commercial success but very respected.

Don't think the book would quite work for a non Fall fan.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:55 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Loving this.

The author's first novel have read his other 2, and thought A Gentleman in Moscow, a classic. Approached it with a little trepidation, as male author casting a female character as the lead, and narrating the novel through her.

To my surprised it works!

image.png

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. I have requested it from the library to add to the pile.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, andycoll said:

Now I am back home after my 6 weeks in Pattaya and Vietnam it is time to put the Kindle away and get into some more up to date reading. I have kicked off with this one of the 7 books the Library had waiting for me.

BadActorsUScover300.jpg

Well right back at you, thanks for posting this!!

Just landed in my local library system, and have reserved it, can't  wait to get my hands on it.

Have picked up on some brilliant books from posters on here, so great to share stuff- talk about finding inspiration in the most unlikely places😀

• Thumbs Up 2

Desert Star by Michael Connelly (Renée Ballard and Harry Bosch, #5)

Overview: LAPD detective Renée Ballard and Harry Bosch team up to hunt the brutal killer who is Bosch’s “white whale”—a man responsible for the murder of an entire family.

A year has passed since LAPD detective Renée Ballard quit the force in the face of misogyny, demoralization, and endless red tape. But after the chief of police himself tells her she can write her own ticket within the department, Ballard takes back her badge, leaving “the Late Show” to rebuild and lead the cold case unit at the elite Robbery-Homicide Division.

For years, Harry Bosch has been working a case that haunts him—the murder of an entire family by a psychopath who still walks free. Ballard makes Bosch an offer: come volunteer as an investigator in her new Open-Unsolved Unit, and he can pursue his “white whale” with the resources of the LAPD behind him.

First priority for Ballard is to clear the unsolved rape and murder of a sixteen-year-old girl. The decades-old case is essential to the councilman who supported re-forming the unit, and who could shutter it again—the victim was his sister. When Ballard gets a “cold hit” connecting the killing to a similar crime, proving that a serial predator has been at work in the city for years, the political pressure has never been higher. To keep momentum going, she has to pull Bosch off his own investigation, the case that is the consummation of his lifelong mission.

?dm=UEMINL3S

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2022 at 1:03 PM, galenkia said:

Thought Brian Johnson's book was a great read.

Bono's brand new autobiography is up next.

B09ZJ2MC2Z.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

About two thirds through this and think it's excellent. Really changed my opinion about him. Always thought of him as a egotistical prick, though I loved his music.

Actually comes across as someone who genuinely cares about the causes of the less fortunate of the world. His wife is always off working with charities in war zones and famine areas of Africa.

Definitely worth a read.

• Like 1