Tennis

Nightcrawler

The Western and Southern Open announced Serena would be the Monday night match and made a press release about it as well as tweeting out the news also talked about these equipments. They have since deleted that tweet. (It also didn’t help they misspelled Rybakina’s name in said tweet)

Instead of Serena being the marquee Monday night match they have another crowd favorite, Sloane Stephens.

The mentions on the Monday OOP tweet are blowing up with fans angry about the change. One fan even said tickets were going as high as $2000 for Monday night.

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, mic10 said:

a1-jpg.226220

Tournament says change was "on account of a number of factors related to scheduling".
what does that even mean.... I would be furious if I had a ticket for monday night

Scheduling usually means weather ........ Williams v Radacanu would be great fun to watch but Sloane whinge and mine Stephens nah !!!

Serena was big headlines here in 🇨🇦 this week, she got bounced early in Toronto. As did Leylah & Bianca, disappointing…

The men played here in Montreal, local media couldn’t stop bragging about Felix. He looked awesome, then got totally dominated by Ruud in QF. Saw on Stubhub some good seats for the SEMIS were asking almost $1,000 CAD….don’t know if they were anticipating Felix making it or there are loads of wealthy diehard tennis fans. I’m proud of the event but it’s a weak field, stuns me folks would pay that. But the stands were very full for Felix in R2, I believe capacity is 10-11K. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, nampla69 said:

So is Alcaraz    ......most exciting young player since Federer.

Seems to be a controversy with McEnroe’s commentary being totally biased in his favour. I always liked John, I know it’s easy to bring up his tantrums l, but that was long time ago.

I’m not a big tennis fan, but when the Canadians have a good run in a Slam, all bets are off. Like golf, we had nothing, I mean NOBODY , to cheer for, from the time I was born until maybe 10 years ago(PGA not as bad-Weir started winning in 1999).  Our best hope was Rusedki, but just like Lennox, he defected to the UK 🇬🇧 . So it’s nice to see Leylah, Shapo, Felix etc do well in ranked tourneys. Very disappointed in Genie, she prefers her Instagram to her tennis career. And Raonic, well he reached World #3, but IMO didn’t reach his potential. Played in a tough era though

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, biggles said:

What guts, two sets and a break down and he climbs out of that hole to win. Kokkinakkis looked to have it sewn up. It is still ridiculous that they are playing at 4am. To fit in with TV broadcasts overseas I guess? 

I'm not sure about Murray's game, but on Tuesday they lost 3 hours as it was too hot to play, then some more to rain later on forcing some delays/cancellations.

• 5 months later...