How much sleep do you get vs how much sleep you need.

Butch

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

After that, I have spent more than 30 years living in hotels all over the world and I definitely kept the bathroom light on all night to stop me pissing everywhere....Although in some hotels it would be difficult to tell if I had made it to the toilet or not !

Most of my working life was spent away from home.Home for a while was a bungalow in the UK where I came out of the toilet & turned right to go back to my bedroom.

In the Ibis hotel in Malmo after a very heavy drinking session I did just that but unfortunately I was in the corridor outside my room,locked out.Stark bollock naked.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Pinoydave said:

I work a 9 day rotation…… 6 nights I get 8 hours sleep….. but the other 3 days I’m lucky if I get 4 or 5 hours sleep and have to wake up at 01:30 am…

I never seem to recover from the three nights of short and bad quality sleep…… 

4/4 is very common in aircraft maintenance and sometimes it's 2 x 12 hour days followed by 2 x 12 hour nights.I found that extremely difficult to adjust to,I even started going to the gym after my 1st nightshift to try & exhaust myself into sleep but it never worked.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

In the Ibis hotel in Malmo after a very heavy drinking session I did just that but unfortunately I was in the corridor outside my room,locked out.Stark bollock naked.

When I first went contracting I was very frugal.I once stayed in a cheap B&B with shared "facilities". One morning the landlady complained about me taking a piss during the night after a good few sessions down the pub. After trying to piss out the window I discovered there was a tin roof below me so I decided to piss in the kettle.

When she bumped into me in the morning taking the kettle full of piss into the toilet to empty she said "oooh nothing like a brew in the morning!" 

EDIT = Just off Church street in Malvern. Possibly Portland Road. 

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Haha 5

In the RAF in 1974 I arrived at RAF St Athan to undergo a six month fitters course.Our entry was 16 blokes & we were all in the same long room.The first night we all went down to the village pubs on the piss,as you did in the services.

Next morning a guy down the room shouted to me "Oi you pissed in my locker last night",then another one shouted "& you puked out of my window".....We all got on famously after that.

As an aside we were also banned from one of the pubs for lighting farts in the saloon bar.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I used to have an employment related skill whereby I had to wake up instantly and be fully aware of my surroundings. I grew used to having a low light on at all times and now I happily sleep with a light on as it keeps the nightmares to a minimum.

After that, I have spent more than 30 years living in hotels all over the world and I definitely kept the bathroom light on all night to stop me pissing everywhere....Although in some hotels it would be difficult to tell if I had made it to the toilet or not !

Yes.... after many severely stubbed toes (really bad when hungover) I have learned the trick of keeping the lights on. But... it hasn't helped me much otherwise as my midnight piss aim is always off. I'm afraid the only thing that will help me with that is perhaps a catheter, but thankfully I'm not ready for one of those, yet.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

When I first went contracting I was very frugal.I once stayed in a cheap B&B with shared "facilities". One morning the landlady complained about me taking a piss during the night after a good few sessions down the pub. After trying to piss out the window I discovered there was a tin roof below me so I decided to piss in the kettle.

When she bumped into me in the morning taking the kettle full of piss into the toilet to empty she said "oooh nothing like a brew in the morning!" 

EDIT = Just off Church street in Malvern. Possibly Portland Road. 

Remind me to never accept a cup of tea from you in the future!.

• 2 years later...

Just a bump to this old topic, I've just awoken from a 10 hour slumber half hour ago. Now have a Coffee in hand & toast on a plate.

I've no idea why I slept so long and without any interruption, I did have a couple of JD's last night but nothing huge. Maybe my body is catching up on the difficult week I've had.

I do find in the winter months I tend to sleep a bit longer and fall asleep much more easily. Temp in the house at night most of the year is 18C pretty much all the time when the heating is off - unless it's really cold or hot outside.