Agoda trauma

Smiler

I have used Agoda countless times to book hotels in Thailand over the years, never had an issue but.... 

Decided to stay at the Miami in Bangkok 30th November. This was the very first place I stayed back in the early 90s, it changed hands recently and has been done up so I thought why not. 

Used Agoda to book by scanning the booking screen QR code with my Thai Bank App. Did exactly the same in July last time with Agoda. Well the money left my account instantly BUT a booking cancelled message came up on the screen. 

I have been trying to get my money back for the last 2 days. 

Sent 3 documents including screenshot of the QR code booking screen, copy of bank app notification confirming payment and bank statement. 

Kin nightmare, I am on the way to Heathrow and its still not resolved. 

I won't be using Agoda again, judging by the comments on their Facebook page, I won't be on my own. 

• Great Info 5
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

25 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

The past 2 years I've used booking. Com ,I know apparently same company ,but agoda just had to much adds,probs with the site ect i felt last few years,certainly not the same as was before and I used them for years.

I always use booking.com is it the same company as Agoda? I always thought booking.com was so much better, and better than expedia. Just made a couple of bookings so hopefully great service continues....

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Zambo said:

I always use booking.com is it the same company as Agoda? I always thought booking.com was so much better, and better than expedia. Just made a couple of bookings so hopefully great service continues....

Yes same company , they also have Kayak and Priceline 

• Thumbs Up 2

Agoda is an absolute nightmare. It lulls you in and then ass fucks you hard. IMO one of the worst tech related/app companies out there. 

Most of them are similar in how bad they can f**k you. But, I have found that when absolutely necessary booking.com is probably the better one to work with.

• Great Info 1

So, 8 days later..... 

I have sent the booking information that agoda requested 3 times. 

I called them twice. 

They finally admit liability 😎

I was offered 2 options - a credit for the full amount to be used within 6 months when next booking through agoda🤔 😂🤣🤣🤣

Or a full refund to my Thai bank account which may take up to 10 working days. I've taken this option so let's see how many days before I do actually get my money back. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sangsom said:

Whilst agoda and booking.con are the same company I’ve always found agoda has a much bigger selection of hotels in Asia.

Exactly why I use them in SE Asia. They are literally in every hotel in every small town, quite a few times I have sat in reception of a hotel to get a better rate than the hotel can offer me or to extend my stay. Never had a problem. In Europe I tend to use Booking.Com or Hotels. Com, they have giving me the best coverage/rate in my experience.

I’ve used Agoda a lot and I’ve had to talk with their customer service only twice. The first time, after barely getting into the kingdom ahead of the yellow shirt takeover of Suvarnabhumi, my return travel date changed a couple times and I was offered free cancellation on my Bangkok reservation, which I took. After the airport reopened, I tried to get my reservation back, but it wasn’t available. Agoda put me in the Majestic Grand for the price of my original room at the Royal Asia Lodge on Soi 8.

For my August trip this year, I booked a test and go room through Agoda, back when that was a requirement to enter.  I cancelled the reservation when the entry requirements changed and I didn’t get a refund until I reminded them the reservation included airport transportation, Covid test and meals.  I got my money back shortly thereafter. The website blamed this on the hotel and that’s probably true.

9 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I've been booking Asian hotels through Agoda for years and have been very lucky - the only time I had an issue, and I can't even remember what it was about, it was handled promptly and courteously with just one phone call. 

Same same, used them countless times never had any issues and i find their rates can't be beaten.

• Thumbs Up 1

This trip I have found Booking.com to have the best prices for where I like to stay.

Agoda often offer similar prices, but it involves them refunding you some of the cost at a later date. Why would you do that if you can pay an equivalent discounted price and be done nice and clean?

I do have level 3 genius discount on Booking.com, so that does help I guess. 

And it's over - just received a full refund 😎

Guess my experience with agoda goes something like its all good until its not good. Really haven't been happy with the way they treated me which is such a shame after the years I have used them. 

Every day is a school day 👀😬

• Like 5