Renewing A Thai Driving Licence - a few questions.

Horizondave

On 4/29/2024 at 12:30 PM, thegrogmonster said:

Let us know how you go when you renew your licences.

Right I did the online training thingy and booked an appointment but I am only on a 30 day visa waiver this time. Did you have the same mate?

5 hours ago, Smiler said:

Right I did the online training thingy and booked an appointment but I am only on a 30 day visa waiver this time. Did you have the same mate?

No I had a 90 non-immigrant visa. Maybe Udon Thani is different but Pattaya wouldn't renew my licence on a 30 day visa waiver. Because they wouldn't renew the licence it expired and next time I had to do the full licence tests from scratch for both a car and motobike. One day spent watching videos and then the next day doing 2 written exams and 2 pratical exams.

Painful it was.

Edited by thegrogmonster

Obviously provincial immigration offices may adopt different criteria. As I mentioned, I got a residence certificate in Hua Hin, despite the fact that I was staying in a condo for only 10 days and arrived into Thailand on a 30 days visa exempt.

I believe though, if you get a residence certificate, the Udon driving test centre will issue a driving licence.  As long as you have the certificate, the centre should be happy to issue a new or renewed licence, they should just be concerned you have the right paperwork.

Going to cancel my appointment tomorrow. Fact is I don’t have the right visa as per the requirements stated. Even if I managed to get the paperwork from immigration, I could still get knocked back at the licensing place. So given the time (and expense) and general fuckaboutary it’s going to take - I am not going to bother.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Smiler said:

Going to cancel my appointment tomorrow. Fact is I don’t have the right visa as per the requirements stated. Even if I managed to get the paperwork from immigration, I could still get knocked back at the licensing place. So given the time (and expense) and general fuckaboutary it’s going to take - I am not going to bother.

I understand your concern, but I was never questioned by the DL centre about the lack of visa, where I was staying etc., they were just concerned with whether I had a residence certificate and other appropriate documentation.

All other documentation was in order and I was directed to just do my tests and watch the obligatory video.

I was never worried about the DL office as, for me, as long as I had the residence certificate, I knew I wouldn't have issues later during my appointment.

Now this was Pranburi near Hua Hin (for Prachuap Khiri Khan) and I was renewing. It had even been suggested that if I did get the DL renewal, it might only be for 2 years extension. Amazingly, they gave me 5 years from my next birthday, so still 5 years validity from this coming July.

• Thumbs Up 2