John Cleese in Bangkok- July 7th 2023

fforest

John-Cleese-2023-800px.png

Measures for visitors to the show
• All visitors are required to wear masks throughout the show.
• Keep distance between people.
• Changing or moving seats is not allowed.
• Always clean your hands. with alcohol gel available at various points 

• Please allow for travel time and pre-show screening at least 1 hour before the show starts.

• To prevent the spread of COVID-19 If you are sick, cough, sneeze, have runny nose, or have a fever higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius, or test positive for COVID-19, the organizer has the right to deny entry to the show. The organizer reserves the right not to refund in any case.

• when purchasing tickets You must specify the name-surname of those who attend the concert at every seat. match with ID card by specifying in Thai language or English only The name will be printed on the card. and cannot be changed Please make sure your name and surname are correct before making payment.
Edited by fforest

• fforest changed the title to John Cleese in Bangkok- July 7th 2023

I am trying to get my mind around the idea of 83 year old John Cleese doing a solo evening on stage in Bangkok.

I think this is a mistake of monumental proportions.

Is he skint?

Surely not?

I have so many fond memories of John Cleese entertaining us over the years. None of those involved him as a Stand Up performer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am trying to get my mind around the idea of 83 year old John Cleese doing a solo evening on stage in Bangkok.

I think this is a mistake of monumental proportions.

Is he skint?

Surely not?

I have so many fond memories of John Cleese entertaining us over the years. None of those involved him as a Stand Up performer.

Agreed. I knew his daughter, Cynthia from school but never met him and I’m struggling to think why at that age he’d bother. 

I can't see a reason why he wouldn't do an event, if there is enough interest in him as a person to entertain. It is an evening with him and I am sure there are a lot expats in Thailand that would be happy to see an event with a personality such as John Cleese.

I am sure his agent has set this up and has seen the potential. There are a lot of older celebrities still going around stadiums, concert halls and clubs and the majority are doing it because they love to entertain and not just the money. It does appear though, that John Cleese needs to work as he paid out a lot on divorces. That said, I read that his net worth is around £20m, not mega rich but probably allows him to ring the bell in a few bars lol.

• Haha 1

Still, I think 83 is just a little too old to be touring.....Except for Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards of course, who will probably take their last breath on stage....

Edited by fforest
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sat next to him and his wife at the Nelson Mandela concert in the Olympic gallery at Wembley Stadium, i'm a great fan of his, Fawlty Towers was a classic never to be forgotten imo. Even my Thai wifey could'nt stop laughing when we watched the series here in Thailand.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, Stillearly said:

He's been doing stand up for around ten years 

At 83, if he tries the "Ministry of Silly Walks" routine its odds on he falls over. With my knee and hip I can do that without even trying.

I hope his night in Bangkok is a great success but as a fan I think I would rather remember his classic comedy performances of yesteryear. I have seen a couple of nostalgia concerts in Bangkok which received rapturous applause from the audience but on reflection left me feeling I almost wished I had not gone.

Fame is a drug.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

At 83, if he tries the "Ministry of Silly Walks" routine its odds on he falls over. With my knee and hip I can do that without even trying.

I hope his night in Bangkok is a great success but as a fan I think I would rather remember his classic comedy performances of yesteryear. I have seen a couple of nostalgia concerts in Bangkok which received rapturous applause from the audience but on reflection left me feeling I almost wished I had not gone.

Fame is a drug.

Here is a good example of why elderly rockers should hang it up......

Take the Rolling Stones

Take the Song.... Give Me Shelter....

See this version from a few years ago....Mick's voice just does not have that much power anymore so he needs backup singers to help carry the song...

Now the same song from Mick in 1969.....

People today think they are paying to see the old Mick....From 1969.....

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

I have seen a couple of nostalgia concerts in Bangkok which received rapturous applause from the audience but on reflection left me feeling I almost wished I had not gone.

Not in BKK but same experience from me with nostalgia concerts. I've stopped going to them as they were trashing memories of seeing the same artists at their peak.

Only exception I'll make is if the artist is still producing new material

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Not in BKK but same experience from me with nostalgia concerts. I've stopped going to them as they were trashing memories of seeing the same artists at their peak.

Only exception I'll make is if the artist is still producing new material

Last night Geoff Tate was really good. Yeah, he can’t hit the really high notes he could 40 years ago, but he’s 90% there voice wise.

Played the classic Operation Mindcrime album in full running order plus some other fan favorites.

Blackie Lawless amazed me recently with WASP, still as brilliant as 40 years ago vocals wise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Last night Geoff Tate was really good. Yeah, he can’t hit the really high notes he could 40 years ago, but he’s 90% there voice wise.

Played the classic Operation Mindcrime album in full running order plus some other fan favorites.

Blackie Lawless amazed me recently with WASP, still as brilliant as 40 years ago vocals wise.

Fair enough it will vary from artist to artist.

I saw the Pixies open in Manchester last year. The sound was dreadful, all the songs had been cut down circa 2 mins, like some basterdised high speed karoake. It was all standing and for the 5 numbers I stayed for my view was obstructed as almost everyone in front of me had their arms up filming the concert.

At their peak they were a brilliant live band, in a run where I saw acts from REM, ACDC, the Pogues, Def Leopard(!!!) among other they were right up there.

On the upside, saw Steve Earle on last Friday- he was tremendous.

• Thumbs Up 1