Advice needed re Clip on shades

Nightcrawler

I have tried to buy clip on shades for my distance prescribed glasses in UK, such as Betterspecs and Vision Express, Boots etc and run out of time to order online giving the frame measurements. 

Can anyone recommend where I can buy some clip on shades to fit all frame sizes in Pattaya? Not talking about Hank Marvin size either. 

I don't want to spend too much time hunting around for them, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have tried to buy clip on shades for my distance prescribed glasses in UK, such as Betterspecs and Vision Express, Boots etc and run out of time to order online giving the frame measurements. 

Can anyone recommend where I can buy some clip on shades to fit all frame sizes in Pattaya? Not talking about Hank Marvin size either. 

I don't want to spend too much time hunting around for them, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

the "Top Charoen" glasses group are helpful, they'll phone other branches locally to see if they have what you need if they don't have it in stock. I found the best one was on Bukhao near the chicane. not sure if they sell clip-ons though.

• Like 1

Apologies in advance, this is not a helpful comment! 

I had the same problem about a year ago: I couldn't find any that fitted anywhere. I ended up having some specially made, but it was neither cheap nor quick. 

Some people are fortunate to have glasses on which clip-ons will fit easily. But there are some frames which are problematic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I had the same problem about a year ago: I couldn't find any that fitted anywhere. I ended up having some specially made, but it was neither cheap nor quick. 

Some people are fortunate to have glasses on which clip-ons will fit easily. But there are some frames which are problematic. 

Yes, I appreciate that. When I chose my frames, one of the questions I asked at Vision Express was were they suitable for clip on shades and they told me that they were. 

I did find them in Boots but the were the wrong dimensions and the only size that they had on sale. I did try them on my glasses but they were not wide enough to cover the whole lense, although they seemed to fix as they should do to the frame.

I wish that I had ordered an extra pair of prescription sunglasses now. 

In case I don't find the clip ons to fit my glasses, I am tempted to have some prescription sunglasses made in Pattaya and will bring my prescription with me. 

Not sure what the price will be though and how long it takes as I have never purchased prescription glasses in Thailand before.  That said, I have a feeling that they might be a whole lot cheaper than in UK. 

It's not the end of the world though as my regular sunglasses do fit over my distance glasses, although heavy and a bit wierd.  😀

I guess I will have to spend some time and shop around a little. I guess a local option will be my first port of call, as Butch wrote, in Soi Buakhao. 

8 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Yes, I appreciate that. When O chose my frames, one of the questions I asked at Vision Express was were they suitable for clip.on shades and they told me that they were. 

I did find them in Boots but the were the wrong dimensions and the only size that they had on sale. I did try them on my glasses but they were not wide enough to cover the whole lense, although they seemed to fix as they should do to the frame.

I wish that I had ordered an extra pair of prescription sunglasses now. 

In case I don't find the clip ons to fit my glasses, I am tempted to have some made in Pattaya and will bring my prescription with me.  Not sure what the price will.though and how long it takes as I have never purchased prescription glasses in Thailand before  that said, I have a feeling that they might be a whole lot cheaper than in UK. 

It's not the end of the world though as my regular sunglasses do fit over my distance glasses, although heavy and a bit wierd.  😀

I guess I will have to spend some time and shop about a little. 

If you do decide to buy Rx sunglasses here I would recommend checking out Euro Optics covered in the linked topic below. They may be able to source the correct sized clip ons for you as well.

Edited to add: Based on my experience, you should able to get a new pair of Rx glasses in 3 to 4 days.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bazle said:

I remember discussing our sunglasses at one of the coffee meetings last winter - you had the same basic style as mine, i.e. the expanding middle section and clamps around the perimeter of the lenses, yet yours had to be custom made at considerable expense in the UK whereas mine are available in a variety of sizes and styles at my local Vision Express in Canada for a reasonable sum; I think this style is ideal because they are easy to pack as they fit into such a flat case, and easy to wear as you can just slip them into your shirt pocket when not using them. I've looked all over in Thailand and other SE Asia countries but nobody seems to sell them over there - dunno why they've never caught on there, I've been buying them for years here:

rsz_img_2106.jpg