Favorite Phrases (or lines), Expressions or Short Poems

Glasseye

6 hours ago, maipenrai said:

One popular Canadian saying was " he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door".

Your neighbors to the south shortened it to "he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn".

Barn doors did come into play with "That's closing the barn door after the horse has bolted".

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I always preached this one to my kid's when they were growing up "It's Ok to make mistakes in life, just don't make the same one's twice, I never did" 

They remind me all the time that they were sick of hearing this from me LOL! 

My own variation on this theme, particularly when I was teaching or mentoring new employees, was to tell them "it's okay to make a mistake as long as you learn from it; if you keep making the same mistake over and over, then you have a problem".

• Thumbs Up 2

If

The Spartans were known for being laconic, people of few words. The area where Sparta resides became known to this day as Laconia. One story of that origin is;

Philip II of Macedonia was conquering neighbors during Alexander's childhood. Phil came to the Spartan border and sent the king of Sparta a message with an ultimatum such as; surrender now because if I come onto your lands, I will burn your crops, rape your women and kill your animals.

The Spartan king replied --- If

Neither Phil nor Alex ever invaded Sparta.

13 hours ago, maipenrai said:

My own variation on this theme, particularly when I was teaching or mentoring new employees, was to tell them "it's okay to make a mistake as long as you learn from it; if you keep making the same mistake over and over, then you have a problem".

The company I worked for had a variation of the theme that went like; we welcome people that have made mistakes as it can be a form of learning. But we prefer that you learned from those mistakes working for someone else.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2023 at 9:39 AM, forcebwithu said:

Your neighbors to the south shortened it to "he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn".

Barn doors did come into play with "That's closing the barn door after the horse has bolted".

Good one, you are correct.

12 hours ago, Trip said:

If

The Spartans were known for being laconic, people of few words. The area where Sparta resides became known to this day as Laconia. One story of that origin is;

Philip II of Macedonia was conquering neighbors during Alexander's childhood. Phil came to the Spartan border and sent the king of Sparta a message with an ultimatum such as; surrender now because if I come onto your lands, I will burn your crops, rape your women and kill your animals.

The Spartan king replied --- If

Neither Phil nor Alex ever invaded Sparta.

Love those one word responses.

Like "Nuts"

https://taskandpurpose.com/history/us-army-nuts-bastogne-surrender/