Visiting cambodia

Nickrock

I'm thinking of visiting Cambodia ( probably end of April mid may) its 20 years since I was there 

From what I understand getting a  e visa is the way to go do I need a travel agent? 

Am I best to bring some us$ 

I would prefer to be in easy walking distance from the action if possible with a pool preferably under 2k bt a night 

Any suggestions or tips appreciated 

I usually get an evisa online myself and take clean US bills.

We have had slightly old looking bills refused several times.

I have no knowledge of hotels with a pool in that price range.

Last visit I stayed in the Sun and Moon in PP which is nice with a pool,  but nearer 3k a night. May be cheaper when you go!

You can get a visa on arrival, in January it only took around 5 minutes from handing my passport over to it being returned with a 1 month stamp. It may have even been $5 cheaper.

Here is the official site if you want to get the visa in advance.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

The processing time is a few working days. Simple print of the visa that you will get sent as an attachment.

There's nothing like the choice of accomodation you get in Thailand. If you need a pool then the Sun & Moon, if not a fellow BM gave me a glowing report on the Tao Riverside.

I've done 1000 baht rooms in the past in PP, but ended up with dingy, poorly lit rooms with questionable security. It just isn't worth it.

I tend to bring USD expect to often get your change in KHR. It would probably be most cost efficient to do everything in KHR but I've never gotten around to figuring the best way to do that.

I love Phom Penhn but it isn't cheap anymore, don't expect any bargains.

Edited by Lemondropkid

If you have a Revolut card worth loading up some USD when the exchange rate is favourable... hotels , Smile convenience stores , restaurants and most bars all accept 

136-104 is the main nightlife area 

like Boydeste I also stayed at Sun and Moon Urban 

@maipenrai stayed at the Tao Residence,  I believe he was very happy with it 

I looked at a few places, some of the rooms were only 25 m pretty small 

The pickled parrot I think was only $18 when I was last there

After a bit more research I'm thinking about just flying directly to Siem reap not been there yet 

Other reason for going to Cambodia is I get another month visa on arrival back in Thailand 

If you go to Sr,id recommend if you haven't been already angkor wat, 3 day pass,hire a scooter from town ,go at your own pace back and fourth each day,its an amazing temple,been around 7 tears since I been but never had a problem finding a bar with willing girls,I'd avoid the main drag tho,ok for people watching and a beer or 2.

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

If you go to Sr,id recommend if you haven't been already angkor wat, 3 day pass,hire a scooter from town ,go at your own pace back and fourth each day,its an amazing temple,been around 7 tears since I been but never had a problem finding a bar with willing girls,I'd avoid the main drag tho,ok for people watching and a beer or 2.

Main drag OK what areas for hotels and bar areas would you suggest 

13 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Main drag OK what areas for hotels and bar areas would you suggest 

Keep your head on constant motion when walking. Drivers are worse than here, much worse.

24 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

Is that really possible lol

It's mind blowing mate !

Oh.... and watch for the Ch*nks. They are thick as flies on a fresh pile of dog shit.

Edited by Glasseye

4 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Is that really possible lol

Ye,I thought id catch a motorbike taxi from airport to town,just to see how wild,didn't know what side of the road they drove on for the first 10 minutes.

Regarding hotels,can't remember specific name of area but near a night market 10 min walk from main drag.

14 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Ye,I thought id catch a motorbike taxi from airport to town,just to see how wild,didn't know what side of the road they drove on for the first 10 minutes.

Regarding hotels,can't remember specific name of area but near a night market 10 min walk from main drag.

I took a Tuk Tuk just the once from the airport to street 136 in Phnom Penh and several times thought I was going to end up in hospital. Apart from the terrifying ride breathing in the air pollution was awful.

I have only stayed in the Riverside Hotel in street 136 which was fine and right in a busy entertainment area.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:15 AM, Phantom51red said:

If in Siem Reap do you mean Pub street, Walking street and Sok San road area?