Transferring £'s to Thailand

coxyhog

In my opinion it is. Been using a Wise account for at least 3 years.

I transfer from my Revolut acc to my Wise (no fees, usually takes minutes). Then when needed transfer from Wise to my Krung Thai account, usually takes seconds, occasionally an hour or  2.

Great exchange rate and very competitive fees.

I will pm you a link if you want 😃😇

edit : I have a wise card as well which I do use in the UK but never tried in an atm in Thailand 

Edited by Smiler
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I use Wise as well , if you transfer under £1k it gets there in seconds, £2k seems to take a couple of days ... fees are good and exchange rate is close to interbank 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Works very well when you have bank links properly set up. As someone above mentioned it's best to deposit money into your Wise account. When that money has cleared the deposit transfer (from you primary home bank) they will notify you and show a balance. Then you can make a transfer to almost any account (internationally or domestically), almost instantly.

But, if you use a debit card transfer from another bank (using the Wise account for your actual transfer process) then it could take up to several days for the transfer to go through.

Build up the dosh in the actual Wise account, then you are good to go almost anytime, instantly and with low fees.

So tonight's wise transfer is going to take 10 hours?? 

Never had to wait so long before but I have heard from others who occasionally have, normally it is seconds. 

Lesson learned.

• Surprised 2

24 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Never had to wait so long before but I have heard from others who occasionally have, normally it is seconds. 

Lesson learned.

Same here ... transfer will apparently be done at 03:55 ( U.K. time ) 

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Any reason given? Before burning Wise are there better tried and trusted options?

Edited by Lemondropkid

12 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Any reason given? Before burning Wise are there better tried and trusted options?

No idea , but it doesn't really make much difference to me how long it takes ... currently both U.K. and Thai Banks are shut .. and I'm home anyway, so not time critical for me ....I'm just topping up my account whenever rates are favourable 

Previous transfers have taken between 8 seconds and a couple of days ... it always gets there and the exchange rate is fixed 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Smiler said:

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Yep it has always been "immediate", barring Bank Holidays and weekends, but this morning I transferred at 7am and it won't be in until 10am.

No explanation given.

I don't know what Wise did to their website yesterday, but having used it a hundred times before it had a different appearance. The 'Send Money' button didn't work, so I messed about with the 'Add Money' button and that worked, but it just took my £1,000 and added it to my account on Wise instead of converting it into THB and sending it here as I thought I'd asked.

Eventually, I managed to send the balance of £1,000 in my Wise account (which I've never used before) to my SCB account, but then it was asking me when I was going to send it the £1,000 I'd wanted transferred into THB? So I cancelled that transfer but this morning they've sent me an e-mail congratulating me on having a balance of £1,000 in my Wise account, even though I transferred it to THB yesterday. Talk about disconnected idiots, why did they do this?

It made me think of this short but amusing article by Martin Samuel in this morning's Times about his Mercedes EV.

Mercedes EV tale.jpg

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I use Wise as well , if you transfer under £1k it gets there in seconds, £2k seems to take a couple of days ... fees are good and exchange rate is close to interbank 

Me too with same positive experience.

Wise have a comparison tool which will show you what you'll get for your money compared to other services.  They're often not the best but speed, ease of use and reliability should also be taken into account.

image.png

I personally never hold money in Wise and do an online transfer to fund it as required.  Still instantanious up to 50,000THB at the moment but I've noticed the cut off point between instant/next day has varied in the past.

50,000THB is also the maximum limit that can be sent via Wise to banks other than Bangkok, Kasikorn and Siam.

• Great Info 2

18 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Wise is currently 46.4508 , transfer £1k the fee is £6.40 , so effective rate is 46.1535 

XE.com looks better if no fees 👍

There is an additional fee if you pay via debit or credit card so avoid if possible.  I think it's been mentioned in another thread that Wise' website and app used to default to bank transfer but nowadays defaults to debit card so you have to manually change it back to avoid the extra fee.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...