Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

21 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I watched "Killers of the Flower Moon"on the flight back from Bangkok 

a Martin Scorsese film , with Leonardo Di Caprio and Robert De Niro , an usual Western 

I thought it was a good film , although unsettling , especially when you know it's based on a true story ... 

👍

Excellent flick IMO. If it had not been for Oppenheimer (a fantastic movie), "Killers of the Flower Moon" might have taken home some significant Oscars. I still have not watched "Poor Things" which was the 3rd highly rated movie of the year. I have it queued up to watch sometime this weekend.

I thought that DiCaprio should have been nominated for an Oscar. He was great in "Killers of the Flower Moon". I suspect that his lack of a nomination was in part due to his playing an unlikable villainous character.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChiFlyer said:

Excellent flick IMO. If it had not been for Oppenheimer (a fantastic movie), "Killers of the Flower Moon" might have taken home some significant Oscars. I still have not watched "Poor Things" which was the 3rd highly rated movie of the year. I have it queued up to watch sometime this weekend.

I thought that DiCaprio should have been nominated for an Oscar. He was great in "Killers of the Flower Moon". I suspect that his lack of a nomination was in part due to his playing an unlikable villainous character.

Oppenheimer was also available on the flight , but after watching KOTFM I needed something lighter.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Oppenheimer was also available on the flight , but after watching KOTFM I needed something lighter.. 

Oppenheimer might be the best movie of the last 50 years. It won 13 Oscars. And yes it is a downer in many ways. Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders) who won the best actor Oscar award was magnificent in the title role.

The supporting cast (Robert Downey Jr. (Oscar Winner), Matt Damon, Gary Oldman (in a brief role as Harry Truman), and many others were excellent as well.

Christopher Nolan (Oscar  Winner for best director) did an incredible job of bringing this complex and societal changing story to the screen.

I liked the flick. 🙂

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Oppenheimer might be the best movie of the last 50 years. It won 13 Oscars. And yes it is a downer in many ways. Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders) who won the best actor Oscar award was magnificent in the title role.

The supporting cast (Robert Downey Jr. (Oscar Winner), Matt Damon, Gary Oldman (in a brief role as Harry Truman), and many others were excellent as well.

Christopher Nolan (Oscar  Winner for best director) did an incredible job of bringing this complex and societal changing story to the screen.

I liked the flick. 🙂

Looking forward to it.

23 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I was on a recent long flight and saw both Oppenheimer and the 90-minute Documentary Oppenheimer the real story back-to-back.

The movie was ok, but it was too long and just dragged at spots like delving into his balancing a girlfriend and crazy wife.

OTOH, the Documentary at 90 minutes I found riveting as it went into details about Oppenheimer's ties to his mentor Neils Bohr and why Groves chose Oppenheimer to head the Manhattan Project and how it ended up in New Mexico.

At the time Oppenheimer was black balled by Hoover/FBI for suspicion of being a communist sympathizer/agent but Groves went to Roosevelt and they over ruled Hoover. Groves said he knew in the first 5 minutes of meeting Oppenheimer that he was the only man for the job because he could condense nuclear physicist gobblygook into a few sentences of plain English so that Groves and others could understand the meaning and importance.

Any way, here is a link to the Documentary free on YT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Anyone watched Shogun on Disney + ? I loved the mini series when I was a kid and the book is fantastic as well ... I'm thinking about getting Disney for a couple of months 

I am downloading Shogun through IPT. I have not started to watch it as of yet. I am probably a month away from that. It has an IMDB of 9.3, which is unusually high. The offer stands for an IPT invite.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Trip said:

I was on a recent long flight and saw both Oppenheimer and the 90-minute Documentary Oppenheimer the real story back-to-back.

The movie was ok, but it was too long and just dragged at spots like delving into his balancing a girlfriend and crazy wife.

OTOH, the Documentary at 90 minutes I found riveting as it went into details about Oppenheimer's ties to his mentor Neils Bohr and why Groves chose Oppenheimer to head the Manhattan Project and how it ended up in New Mexico.

At the time Oppenheimer was black balled by Hoover/FBI for suspicion of being a communist sympathizer/agent but Groves went to Roosevelt and they over ruled Hoover. Groves said he knew in the first 5 minutes of meeting Oppenheimer that he was the only man for the job because he could condense nuclear physicist gobblygook into a few sentences of plain English so that Groves and others could understand the meaning and importance.

Any way, here is a link to the Documentary free on YT

We disagree on the quality of the movie and that is fine. I was spellbound by it and yes it is long,

Good, i watched it in one evening. Whether it is really Scandinavian Noire, as mentioned in the netflix recommendation email to me, or just a Swedish drama you can judge.

A_Nearly_Normal_Family_(Swedish_TV_Show)_Promotional_Poster.jpeg

I watched "Poor Things" this afternoon IMDB 8.0 (2023) - length 2:21:36

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_Things_(film)

"Poor Things" was generally regarded as the # 3 movie in the running for this year's Oscar. It is critically acclaimed. I would describe it as an "artsy" Frankenstein-esque movie. It is interesting. The camera work is very well done. The movie moves between B&W and Color with some stunning effects at times. 

Did I like it? Pretty much, but I thought that it moved a little slowly at times.

Available via IPT.

Edited by ChiFlyer

On 8/2/2023 at 5:41 PM, Stillearly said:

On Netflix Mark Cavendish: Never Enough , I don't think you need to be a cycling fan to enjoy this documentary, it's about the highs and lows of being an elite athlete and also his struggles with mental health and what the stress can do to those around him 👍

@galenkia I enjoyed it as well 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, galenkia said:

Enjoyed this and one for @Phantom51red if he’s not seen it yet.

IMG_0179.jpeg

Not seen this yet ,watched a few documentarys and snippets on ueil steck,ive been on the eiger west flank looking down and across the North face,for him to climb it in that time is an amazing endurance feat.Added to my list of must see,cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Not seen this yet ,watched a few documentarys and snippets on ueil steck,ive been on the eiger west flank looking down and across the North face,for him to climb it in that time is an amazing endurance feat.Added to my list of must see,cheers.

I love documentaries and books about mountaineers, polar expedition etc, find it fascinating that people can push themselves like that.

• Like 2

I began watching S04 of "True Detective" the other day. Interesting watch thru the first few episodes. The main star is Jodie Foster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_season_4

The IMDB of 8.9 is an overall series rating, which is pumped up by S01, which starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. Still after a few episodes I am enjoying this show.

• Like 1

The Mrs is getting over (slowly) some kind of bronchial infection, so we are spending most of our time at home. Due to this I am watching even more video entertainment than usual.

I watched "The Insider" this afternoon 1999 IMDB 7.8. A little long at 2:37.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Insider_(film)

This is a somewhat fictionalized account of a true story. Some big name cast members (Pacino and Crowe). Crowe was nominated for an Oscar.

I looked for a link that would explain what is fictionalized in the movie, but could not readily find one. There are various links on the net where both Lowell Bergman (60 Minutes producer) and Mike Wallace take exception with what has been reported about what is the true story. IMO the true story is pretty damn complicated for many obvious reasons. This is not a linear series of events that occurred in a vacuum.

The real life Lowell Bergman (60 Minutes Producer) is also listed as an influential person in the evolution of the TV show "Frontline".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowell_Bergman

Oh, I liked the movie, but it was a 2 sandwiches watch, meaning how many breaks did I take.

I downloaded the movie from IPT.

Edited by ChiFlyer