Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I just watched this on Disney, strange but a good watch.

IMG_0214.jpeg

I'm almost finished s2 of Welcome to Wrexham  ... really enjoyed it 

Shogun next , then Star Wars channel , The Mandalorian has been recommended to me ... , I've also missed a couple of the more recent films 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2024 at 1:08 AM, ChiFlyer said:

I am downloading Shogun through IPT. I have not started to watch it as of yet. I am probably a month away from that. It has an IMDB of 9.3, which is unusually high. The offer stands for an IPT invite.

The final episode is now available on IPT so started binge watching the series last night. Got through three episodes. A lot of main characters to keep track of making it difficult to remember who's who, but still a very good series.

• Great Info 1

Dune 2 (2024) IMDB 8.7 is available for download from IPT. I have downloaded it, but will be unlikely to get around to watching it for a while. At 2:45:47 it is a significant time commitment.

I have some somewhat serious oral surgery coming up in mid-May. I may well hold off on this movie until then. I guess I will provide an enlightened analysis about what it is like to view this movie while nodding out on pain killers. 🙂 

• Sad 2

Thought this article was a good overview of the making of Shogun. The final paragraph left open the possibility of additional seasons.

‘Not only through blue eyes’: Hiroyuki Sanada on bringing ‘Shogun’ to life

"It’s uncertain whether “Shogun” will get a season two (the show ends where the novel ends), but when probed, Sanada said that there still is “real history” to reference. “So who knows?” And as “Shogun” is one of six novels in Clavell’s “Asian Saga,” fans might hope for a related production in the future."

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I seem to remember reading the book in 76, loved it. 
We don’t use Netflix or anything of the other film platforms, but no doubt it’ll be on Sky some time in the future, so I’ll wait for it then. 🤗

3 hours ago, KhunDon said:

I seem to remember reading the book in 76, loved it. 
We don’t use Netflix or anything of the other film platforms, but no doubt it’ll be on Sky some time in the future, so I’ll wait for it then. 🤗

Read a few of his books, always quite lengthy.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 5:38 PM, forcebwithu said:

The final episode is now available on IPT so started binge watching the series last night. Got through three episodes. A lot of main characters to keep track of making it difficult to remember who's who, but still a very good series.

Watched the first 2 episodes on Hulu and by episode 3 I realized the commercials were killing the entertainment value, so I stopped at that point and will likely watch it when the DVD set is released.  And yes I too found it difficult to track the characters, so I made up a crib sheet.

Watched the last Ep of Shogun last night. No spoilers but I was left feeling a little 'up in the air' As someone said, it ends where the book does. 

A great series, well acted, a lot of sub-titles but seems to be very authentic culturally. Hoping for more in the future

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, biggles said:

Watched the last Ep of Shogun last night. No spoilers but I was left feeling a little 'up in the air' As someone said, it ends where the book does. 

A great series, well acted, a lot of sub-titles but seems to be very authentic culturally. Hoping for more in the future

I usually don't care for subtitles, but for Shogun it works as it adds to the immersion into Japanese culture the series is trying to achieve.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/29/2024 at 3:22 PM, Stillearly said:

The original was a classic of its time .... don't know if this will spoil it for me .. 

Not sure if you've watched this or not as of yet, but when I saw it, after being anxious to see how they would remake the story, I was pretty disappointed. Jake Gyllenhaal is buffed up and does ok with the lead roll, incorporating a back story that is supposed to define how he got to where he is and the reputation he supposedly has earned, but all too often, the story comes off pretty cartoonish to me.

The characters of the "bad guys", who all ride up to the bar and immediately start hassling customers and breaking stuff, are so far-fetched as to be laughable. This remake is nothing better than a "B" movie with a big budget.

The best thing about it is the Florida Keys scenery. As one who rode his own Harley across that gorgeous highway connecting the chain of islands all the way down to Key West many years ago, it did bring back memories.

In the end, Swayze's "Road House" still rules.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 9:19 AM, forcebwithu said:

I usually don't care for subtitles, but for Shogun it works as it adds to the immersion into Japanese culture the series is trying to achieve.

We have different perspectives with regard to subs. My older ears need them. Yours will soon before much longer I suspect. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 3:19 AM, forcebwithu said:

I much prefer subtitles to dubbed films or series , I tried to watch the Squid Game dubbed , but quickly reverted to the original version with subtitles 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

We have different perspectives with regard to subs. My older ears need them. Yours will soon before much longer I suspect. 🙂 

With my hearing loss I need them too, especially if there are heavy accents involved. Most of the time I can pick up enough of what's said that I can follow along. But for important dialog to the plot that I can't understand I'll turn on subtitles for the scene.

The reason I don't keep subtitles on all the time is I find it distracting and detracting from the background scenery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I much prefer subtitles to dubbed films or series , I tried to watch the Squid Game dubbed , but quickly reverted to the original version with subtitles 

Agreed. I tried watching a dubbed version of "Babylon Berlin" (great show) (2017) IMDB 8.4 that was dubbed into English and it was just not watchable. I switched to subtitles and it was fascinating.

I tried watching "Peaky Blinders" without subs and I had no idea what was going on. With subs it was a great watch.

Talk about opening IMDB ratings being all over the place. I had "A Man in Full" on my to checkout list. It opened with an IMDB of 4.5, so I scratched it from my list. It also had some bad reviews. As I looked further into those reviews, the show was being labeled with Woke criticism (I still have no idea what that means).

Anyway, I noticed there are also some complimentary reviews and the show's IMDB had gone to 6.7. Back on my list. Usually IMDB ratings start out too high due to those pushing a show. In this case it appears that some segment wanted to punish the show. That is unusual. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_in_Full_(miniseries)

I have downloaded the show and watched the first few minutes of S01E01. Seemed like a good start to me. It will probably be a month before I get around to watching the show in earnest. I will try to remember to report back.

hmmm - I became interested in watching the newly released TV show "The Green Veil" (2024) IMDB 9.0. It stars John Leguizamo whom I find interesting.

This show was released on April 30th, but is not available on IPT. It appears that is only available on a streaming service called "The Network" which requires purchasing something through Amazon etc. It can be viewed for free via Plex, which is ad supported. <- Not for me.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14597282/

I will likely take out an IPT request asking them to provide access to this show.

The show is something like "Killers of the Flower Moon", except the crimes were committed by the US government through 1980 in order to keep oil producing lands out of the hands of Native Americans.

I love my country (USA), but we have a very troubled past. How Woke of me.

An IPT request had already be taken out by user "chas638". I added 1,000 points to that request.

Edited by ChiFlyer