Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

36 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Has anyone watched the series 'Billions' on Netflix ? What did you think of it ? 

Seasons 1 - 4 were great. Season 5 was ok. I was about to start on the last two seasons, but got distracted with binge watching The Good Wife series.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Seasons 1 - 4 were great. Season 5 was ok. I was about to start on the last two seasons, but got distracted with binge watching The Good Wife series.

I'm currently on Season 3 and i'm quite enjoying it, trouble is for me i have to concentrate on what is being said to ensure a complete understanding lol

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:28 PM, gs joe said:

If you enjoyed Lock stock and Two Smoking 

I'm enjoying this 

IMG_2743.jpeg

Some great actors in that. I'm watching the series at the moment and the main actress is great but I'm finding it difficult to believe in her character. 

Vinny Jones plays a good part though. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 6:56 AM, Golfingboy said:

Finally gave this a watch after being in my recommended for so long…..I don’t care if it’s rated 7.3/10 or whatever ……

Bloody masterpiece IMHO

image.png

Beware, watching this film. It could affect your pocket.

Following such a positive recommendation I decided to try to find this film.

Firstly I searched on Netflix but they did not have it available. Then I tried Prime video as I have an account through Amazon. I do not watch a lot through Prime and never films that require an additional payment. Up came this film available for free for 7 days through a streaming service which included the word "Chanel" in its name. 

The film starts to load as a message comes up on my phone telling me that I had subscribed to "Channel" and my first monthly subscription  will be deducted through my bank details already held in my Prime account after 7 days!

f**k that!

I spent the next few minutes cancelling my "Channel" subscription then started to watch the film as entitled by my 7 days free period. 😊

I am sorry but we must have very different views on what constitutes a "masterpiece". I have nothing against a film containing a high degree of violence. For instance, "Pulp Fiction" is one of my favorite films with a lot of violence but you find yourself cheering for the bad guys. I have never watched a Tarantino film I haven't liked.

I gave up on "The Place beyond the Pines" after the young policeman started to go to pieces. I just didn't care enough whether he got over shooting the character played by Ryan Gosling. The Ryan Gosling character was impossible to relate to because he had absolutely no redeeming features. He was a complete violent waste of space and there was absolutely nothing to like about him. I simply had enough of watching him and thus when he was shot dead by the policeman I gave up on the film.

I don't believe I have ever watched a film before that didn't feature a single likeable character. Maybe the female shrink excepted? 😃

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:32 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm currently on Season 3 and i'm quite enjoying it, trouble is for me i have to concentrate on what is being said to ensure a complete understanding lol

I have watched the show through s06. I agree that it fell off after S04. I will give S07 (last season) a try. I hear that the Bobbie Axelrod character (Damian Lewis) returns for half of S07. That character was not part of S06 (he needed a break for family time). I did not care for S05 or S06 all that much. Love the Wags (David Costabile) character.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, Glasseye said:

I just started watching "Slow Horses" on Apple TV +. Brill, so far.

Good show. I have one episode left in S03. The Gary Oldman character (Jackson Lamb) is great.

I first noticed Oldman in his roled as Sid Vicious in "Sid and Nancy". In Oldman's words ->

The 1984 production of The Pope's Wedding had been seen by director Alex Cox, who offered Oldman the part of musician Sid Vicious in the 1986 film Sid and Nancy. He twice turned down the role before accepting it, because, in his own words: "I wasn't really that interested in Sid Vicious and the punk movement. I'd never followed it. It wasn't something that interested me. The script I felt was banal and 'who cares' and 'why bother' and all of that. And I was a little bit sort-of with my nose in the air and sort-of thinking 'well the theatre—so much more superior' and all of that." He reconsidered based on the salary and the urging of his agent.

8 hours ago, Jambo said:

Beware, watching this film. It could affect your pocket.

Following such a positive recommendation I decided to try to find this film.

Firstly I searched on Netflix but they did not have it available. Then I tried Prime video as I have an account through Amazon. I do not watch a lot through Prime and never films that require an additional payment. Up came this film available for free for 7 days through a streaming service which included the word "Chanel" in its name. 

The film starts to load as a message comes up on my phone telling me that I had subscribed to "Channel" and my first monthly subscription  will be deducted through my bank details already held in my Prime account after 7 days!

f**k that!

I spent the next few minutes cancelling my "Channel" subscription then started to watch the film as entitled by my 7 days free period. 😊

I am sorry but we must have very different views on what constitutes a "masterpiece". I have nothing against a film containing a high degree of violence. For instance, "Pulp Fiction" is one of my favorite films with a lot of violence but you find yourself cheering for the bad guys. I have never watched a Tarantino film I haven't liked.

I gave up on "The Place beyond the Pines" after the young policeman started to go to pieces. I just didn't care enough whether he got over shooting the character played by Ryan Gosling. The Ryan Gosling character was impossible to relate to because he had absolutely no redeeming features. He was a complete violent waste of space and there was absolutely nothing to like about him. I simply had enough of watching him and thus when he was shot dead by the policeman I gave up on the film.

I don't believe I have ever watched a film before that didn't feature a single likeable character. Maybe the female shrink excepted? 😃

With regard to the cost issue, I use IPT to download videos. This gets me all sources at no per video charge. Several of us who live here in Thailand use this service. I do pay a few hundred USD a year for VIP service. I am a heavy user. It is up to any user what kind of commitment they want to make financially. 

IPT (a bittorrent supported service) is probably technically illegal in some countries, but nobody seems to give a shit. If anyone has interest in trying IPT, please PM me. IPT requires that you are invited by an existing member in good standing. That I am and I receive no financial benefit from inviting other users. I have over 50 invites to share. Please be aware that if I do not know someone through board interactions, I will be unlikely to share an invite. My account could be jeopardized, if I invite someone and they stir up shit.

• Great Info 2

I watched a movie that I liked this afternoon.

"In Bruges" 2008 IMDB 7.9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Bruges

Excellent crime drama IMO.

Colin Farrel and Brendan Gleason (Mr. Mercedes) are the leads. These two actors pair together in an excellent manner. They reunited in the 2022 movie "The Banshees of Inisherin" IMDB 7.7, which is also excellent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Banshees_of_Inisherin

Both movies are recommended.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have watched the show through s06. I agree that it fell off after S04. I will give S07 (last season) a try. I hear that the Bobbie Axelrod character (Damian Lewis) returns for half of S07. That character was not part of S06 (he needed a break for family time). I did not care for S05 or S06 all that much. Love the Wags (David Costabile) character.

Yes indeed and no doubt you have watched Breaking Bad with him as the crazy chemist lol, he was brill imo.

On 3/21/2024 at 8:48 PM, galenkia said:

Enjoyed this on Disney.

IMG_0160.jpeg

I'd love to see this, hopefully I can find it somewhere else; I read the original novella by Frederick Forsyth many years ago and heard it narrated on CBC Canada at Christmas several times over the years, always enjoyed it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched "Killers of the Flower Moon"on the flight back from Bangkok 

a Martin Scorsese film , with Leonardo Di Caprio and Robert De Niro , an usual Western 

I thought it was a good film , although unsettling , especially when you know it's based on a true story ... 

👍

• Like 2