Picking Up The Pieces down in the Caribbean

Mr. Smooth

2 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I booked separate tickets going and coming.

Thanks for the info. I saw you mentioned the route in the OP and was interested in the details. SFO to FLL is an interesting route. It's a few years since I was in Florida. Would like to get back there someday.

Down the road, if you ever need to overnight in SF you're always welcome to couch surf at my place. I'm about 20 minutes from SFO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kathmandu said:

Man some HOT women there!! Slick, you must have been traveling there in the Cuba Dave days. Any good stories?

Once met Cuba Dave in passing, didn't really say anything to him. I did say hello once to that guy, maybe you and others have heard of him, the Hobo Traveler. I have sporadically followed his adventures on his site or YouTube, not recently though. His attitude is a bit off putting to me. According to him, if you don't travel and do things as he thinks you should, then you're doing it all wrong. This from a guy who seems to specilize and take pride in paying $70 USD a month for rooms that are basically dumps and not always in the safest of areas. He got his ass kicked while in the DR, and I think was robbed of some valuables. Maybe if he had been staying at a gated complex where gringos stay and paying $400-500 a month rent, that wouldn't have happened to him. His face got beat up pretty good.

As far as stories go, about the best one I can tell about my adventures in the DR, or anywhere else for that matter, was the time I was once mistaken for the Devil by a bunch of Haitianas. Haiti is into that voodoo shit. Apparently some chica was in a hotel and was wacked out of her head by some drug. As it was told to me, she was riding some black American guy in his room when she looked down at him, and in her mind, while this guy is getting his nut, suddenly morphed into some demon, and she jumped off the bed, ran out of his room naked and screaming out into the street.

I had just arrived a day or two later and in some strange twist of fate, I was mistakenly taken as the demon and referred to as El Diablo! I could hear the whispers walking by and one evening when I took a chica with me from a bar on the main drag and got on the back of a moto to head for the hotel I was at, a crowd gathered around, speaking Spanish and Creole, warning her that I was El Diablo. The moto driver was arguing with the people standing in front blocking his way, as he was only concerned with the fair. The chica I was with was very nervous, but she needed the money cause there was a baby at home. Suddenly all these cell phones, flip phones at the time, were being aimed in my direction, and I found myself staring into lights all around me as video evidence for all these people to prove I was the Devil Himself.

We got out of there and once back at the room, the chica was so scared, I just paid her some pesos and told her she could go.

Later that trip, things came to a climax when in the early evening while talking to a Brit named Joe at a popular open air bar, Joe asked me, "Hey Smooth, why are there four Haitianas all staring at you with daggers in their eyes?" I replied, "Joe, they think I'm the devil."

He said, "No shit, mate! Serious?"

I said, "Just watch." And with that I turned toward them, all in fun mind you, raised my hands like claws and hissed in their direction. All four immediately jumped back in unison and started babbling to each other in Creole. Joe looked at me and exclaimed, "Bloody hell mate, they do think your the fookin' Devil!" I told him you better go home now because the shit is about to get deep.

As I began walking out, the Haitianas were getting louder, now yelling at me which caused all the other chicas in the place to look at me. And the ruckus just got bigger and louder, as by now, the chicas hanging out on the sidewalk were getting into the act, wondering what was going on. As I hit the sidewalk and started walking down the middle of the street, by this time looking in vain for a moto to get me the f**k out of there, the entire street filled with chicas, must have been 100 of them, they had all emptied out of the bars, like some mob of townspeople carrying torches up to burn down the Frankenstein monster, and yelled at me "Diablo". I swear, the chicas were 10 across and at least 10 deep. It was absolutely insane. Like some pied piper gone mad.

To say I wasn't a bit intimidated would be an understatement!

Finally a Dominican policeman on a moto stopped me, the chicas all yelling at him, warning that I was the Devil, before he gave me a look up and down and waved me on. Luckily, I was able to jump on a moto on the next street and get back to my room. This happened back in 2010. 

It was funny, as something of an epilogue took place on my last trip, in late 2019, nearly 10 years after this incident. I was walking down the main drag one early evening looking to grab a beer and chill. An older chica who had been working the streets for years slowly came up to me as I was sitting at the railing that bordered along the sidewalk. I didn't pay too much attention to her as I didn't think she was all that attractive. But she came up and stopped in front of me, looking at me closely.

She said, "I remember you........Diablo!" My heart skipped a beat! We both smiled and didn't say anything as she continued walking down the street.

I guess there are some mistakes you aren't ever allowed to forget.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Surprised 2

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your TR, ladies look real sassy just like the African girls and great fun to be with. 

My next overseas adventure, booked for a 3 week trip back to Kenya in late October through mid November.

Of all my mongering trips over nearly 30 years, it's now my favorite. No place like it.....anywhere! Lots of Germans, Brits, Italians go to the Kenya Coast, the Riviera of East Africa.

I'll put up another TR of my time there after I get back.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

+1.   A real blast from the past.

Didn't he get locked up for ages in Costa Rica for posting trip reports ??

Yes, I think he did close to a year or so in prison. I recall there even being a Go Fund Me page set up for him to pay for an attorney. Last I heard of him, he was in Columbia and posting a lot of nature pics, hiking through the mountains and various trails and such. But I'm sure, with his reputation, if he's engaged in any naughty stuff, he's keeping it off social media.

Or at least he should.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lazarus said:

Oh the greatest cure for insomnia ever invented Cuba Dave's YouTube question and answer sessions.

Sample: CD: I've a great question here from Bill from Arkansas. Dave do I need to bring any money to Cuba / Costa Rica / DR ??? etc etc ......... CD then drones on for 20 minutes.

CD: Here I've got a really fantastic question from Tom from Idaho. Dave do I need to bring shoes or footwear to Cuba / DR /CR 20 minutes later ..

.. yeah saw him once but passed by in Sosua. Genuinely glad to hear he's out as he suffered a lot in CR. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

My next overseas adventure, booked for a 3 week trip back to Kenya in late October through mid November.

Of all my mongering trips over nearly 30 years, it's now my favorite. No place like it.....anywhere! Lots of Germans, Brits, Italians go to the Kenya Coast, the Riviera of East Africa.

You just answered my next question - which country you preferred, Kenya or the DR - I've enjoyed your trip reports from both and look forward to the next from Kenya; another alternate on my list as chances of returning to Thailand seem more remote with each passing day and more bad Covid news...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

7 hours ago, maipenrai said:

You just answered my next question - which country you preferred, Kenya or the DR - I've enjoyed your trip reports from both and look forward to the next from Kenya; another alternate on my list as chances of returning to Thailand seem more remote with each passing day and more bad Covid news...

I've done Kenya Coast and the Gambia, i share your thoughts on Kenya, some real lovelies there and so much fun to be with. Cheap as chips at 20 Kenyan pounds for as long as you wanted them, this was back in 2002.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, great report & brings back great memories.  

I had the good fortune to be able to work in the DR about 8 years ago on a wonderful project.  Enjoyed the country, culture, baseball and of course the ladies 😉

All I have left from that time is a t-shirt a cutie bought me when I was about to leave and the wonderful memories  

568D4B21-A1C6-4E12-ADD9-44208AAFE016.jpeg

I sure drank a lot of Presidente beers, lol

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Thanks for sharing, great report & brings back great memories.  

I had the good fortune to be able to work in the DR about 8 years ago on a wonderful project.  Enjoyed the country, culture, baseball and of course the ladies 😉

All I have left from that time is a t-shirt a cutie bought me when I was about to leave and the wonderful memories  

568D4B21-A1C6-4E12-ADD9-44208AAFE016.jpeg

I sure drank a lot of Presidente beers, lol

Glad you enjoyed. Nice shirt for St Paddys Day!

• Thumbs Up 1