The BBC

coxyhog

I haven't bought a TV licence for my gaff in South Wales for 15 years, I see no reason to finance a channel that I usually disagree with. If enough people did the same thing the whole house of cards would come crashing down. They realise this now, of course, which is why the licence fee will probably be included in your Council tax sooner or later.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, coxyhog said:

293589723_5675840052449128_1935321432384702113_n.jpeg

If I recall correctly, the BBC aired a 90. Minute documentary called "Betrayed Girls" which was a flow up to the drama "Three Girls" exposing and examining how young victims were let down by Police and Social services relating to rape gangs. 

I am not a spokesman or particularly a fan of BBC who are often accused of being Left Wing bias. But there are lots of different news outlets to chose from both on TV and Internet. 

I don't agree agree with a Licence Fee which covers watching any British broadcasting company as part of the licence. Other channels raise revenue through advertising and its only the BBC who get the bulk of the Licence fee. 

• Like 1

I avoid the BBC like the plague.

They've lost their impartiality and show a strong left wing bias in their programmes (just look at any Question Time panel / audience) . They also, along with others turned a blind eye to Savile et al in the 70's and 80's, discouraging any adverse gossip or speculation to a point of ruining careers of people who would speak out.

Regionally the BBC is still very good though, with balanced reporting and some good local coverage, but nationally they're a borderline disgrace.

The licence fee is simply a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Haha 1

The BBC provides Local radio , children's tv ( for toddlers , children and educational stuff for schoolchildren) , loads of music channels , the iPlayer , four channels of advert free tv and  the world service , as well as 24 hour news and internet news pages 

they also stepped up to show more educational programmes for schools during Covid 

I'm happy to pay the license fee for all that they provide 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I avoid the BBC like the plague.

They've lost their impartiality and show a strong left wing bias in their programmes (just look at any Question Time panel / audience) . They also, along with others turned a blind eye to Savile et al in the 70's and 80's, discouraging any adverse gossip or speculation to a point of ruining careers of people who would speak out.

Regionally the BBC is still very good though, with balanced reporting and some good local coverage, but nationally they're a borderline disgrace.

The licence fee is simply a waste of time.

They have said several times during QT that the audience is skewed to have more people that voted  for Brexit than against ... Even though the vote was six years ago ... Fiona Bruce seemed to be upset she couldn't find more people in the audience who thought Brexit was going well even though they handpicked the audience  555

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

They have said several times during QT that the audience is skewed to have more people that voted  for Brexit than against ... Even though the vote was six years ago ... Fiona Bruce seemed to be upset she couldn't find more people in the audience who thought Brexit was going well even though they handpicked the audience  555

Brilliant article by Lord Finkelstein the The Times yesterday about Brexit :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-tory-right-favours-betrayal-over-reality-btfwrhhh6

I do however think the BBC has become incredibly more and more 'woke' in the last 3 or 4 years.

• Like 1

Flipping through the channels today, there was a BBC debate covering the Conservatives parties position on Trans rights.

So in the middle of

-unseating of the PM

- an election of a new leader, and ultimately new PM

-rising inflation

-increasing industrial unrest

-the war in Ukraine

-the collasape of the economy and government in Sri Lanka

-the near collapse of the Italiian Govt

The most important issue is the Tories view on transexualsđŸ€ŻđŸ€Ż

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Flipping through the channels today, there was a BBC debate covering the Conservatives parties position on Trans rights.

So in the middle of

-unseating of the PM

- an election of a new leader, and ultimately new PM

-rising inflation

-increasing industrial unrest

-the war in Ukraine

-the collasape of the economy and government in Sri Lanka

-the near collapse of the Italiian Govt

The most important issue is the Tories view on transexualsđŸ€ŻđŸ€Ż

The BBC are only covering what these idiots are talking about , one of them is unfortunately going to be the next PM ,  the candidates are trying to avoid important issues like the economy , how to fix Brexit , etc etc and focusing on things that get their base motivated ( considering their membership all read the DM , Telegraph or Express )  so trans issues, immigration and benefits cheats ( not expenses cheats obviously.... ) will get them riled up 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

The BBC are only covering what these idiots are talking about

The debate was on the BBC Politcs programme that's allegedley informed debate.

The subject as mentioned was the Tory Party's views on Transexauls. Is this really a subject of debate amongst the Tory party membership? Asking an honest question?

I flipped back to  the Open Golf straight away, didn't hang around for any discussion.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

The debate was on the BBC Politcs programme that's allegedley informed debate.

The subject as mentioned was the Tory Party's views on Transexauls. Is this really a subject of debate amongst the Tory party membership? Asking an honest question?

I flipped back to  the Open Golf straight away, didn't hang around for any discussion.

The venue chosen for Kemi Badenoch's leadership launch , just had toilets that anyone could use  .. her campaign made an issue of putting handwritten signs on them for men and women .... 

stupid culture wars ... to divert attention from real issues 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Surprised 1

I know there is a political club of which I actively avoid because I don't like politics, but Kemi would probably do this Country well if she became PM, plus the likes of Angela Raynor would be positively frothing at the mouth.

How the BBC would approach it would be interesting - normally quite happy to berate and criticise the male dominated Govt, when all of a sudden they're faced with an ethnic minority PM they might well struggle to keep to their agenda.

Anyway, my favourite memory of the BBC is tuning into the World Service every evening in Muscat in our Toyota Corolla on MW, and listening to it as mt Dad drove us home from the Base.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Only really watch the drama series on BBC really, and the odd bit of sports.

BBC make the best crime drama series by far.

Yes mate, totally agree with that. some of the crime dramas from the BBC have been brilliant, good plots, great acting and well screened. Life on Mars still looks great today, one of my fave all time series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the BBC, it has some failings, could improve, but overall a service to be proud of. I also think it's best funded by the TV licence, it works so why change it (not that I pay of course)

5 hours ago, Zambo said:

I like the BBC, it has some failings, could improve, but overall a service to be proud of. I also think it's best funded by the TV licence, it works so why change it (not that I pay of course)

I think I just about disagree with everything you stated.

You may not pay, but still watch it as how could you comment, but everyone else is forced to pay whether they watch it or not including the oldest members of our Nation.

If the BBC are so confident of their place in the choice of TV providers fund the service by subscription.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jambo said:

You may not pay, but still watch it as how could you comment, but everyone else is forced to pay whether they watch it or not including the oldest members of our Nation.

If the BBC are so confident of their place in the choice of TV providers fund the service by subscription.

I get 3 BBC channels (including a news channel) with my Singtel cable tv subscription. Those 3 channels plus Netflix are just about all I watch.

I do agree with your comment about older people with very limited income. Perhaps they could be given free access. I doubt a subscription based service would reduce the cost.

I just read on the BBC website that the licence fee will be terminated in 2027.

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Subscription wouldn't work because of all the niche things they supply that wouldn't be cost effective  - local radio , schools programmes, CBeebies etc 

Unfortunately the BBC destroys itself with its political bias, when in reality that is only 5% of its output.

It’s coverage of major events are world beating 

it’s dramas are amongst the best .

Clark sons Top Gear was league’s above his Amazon offering even with a tiny budget

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Subscription wouldn't work because of all the niche things they supply that wouldn't be cost effective  - local radio , schools programmes, CBeebies etc 

I imagine all the pensioners wondering how they are going to pay their next electric bill at least feel warm inside that they are helping to fund so many niche programs they will never watch.

Sorry, got to go.

Back to the Open Golf..................................................on SKY. 😄

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I imagine all the pensioners wondering how they are going to pay their next electric bill at least feel warm inside that they are helping to fund so many niche programs they will never watch.

Sorry, got to go.

Back to the Open Golf..................................................on SKY. 😄

Not all pensioners are poor ...  

I believe it's still free , if you receive pension credits 

its a shame the Open isn't one of the "protected" sporting events , but that's a government decision as well