Landing Gear Fell Off - Oops

forcebwithu

Incident happened four years ago. Very impressed how the student, on her first solo, and instructor handled the situation. Stuff of nightmares to hear the tower call you on your first solo telling you "Your right main is now missing from the airplane. It's fallen off the airplane."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Incident happened four years ago. Very impressed how the student, on her first solo, and instructor handled the situation. Stuff of nightmares to hear the tower call you on your first solo telling you "Your right main is now missing from the airplane. It's fallen off the airplane."

Absolute kudos to the girl for getting the machine down. I remember doing my first solo and it was pretty nerve racking, and I just went up and back down without issue.

13 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Absolute kudos to the girl for getting the machine down. I remember doing my first solo and it was pretty nerve racking, and I just went up and back down without issue.

Getting it down is relatively easy, being able to walk away from it is the hard part.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure about puddle jumpers such as this but any maintenance done on heavier stuff has to be certified by a qualified(licensed)tech/engineer.

It is a specifically worded statement which can send the signatory to jail if he/she is proven guilty of negligence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Not sure about puddle jumpers such as this but any maintenance done on heavier stuff has to be certified by a qualified(licensed)tech/engineer.

It is a specifically worded statement which can send the signatory to jail if he/she is proven guilty of negligence.

ANY maintenance done on an airplane must be signed off by a certified A&E. If his/her work was at fault, then they are complicit.    

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Getting it down is relatively easy, being able to walk away from it is the hard part.

Kind of like the old sae:

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need one if you want to skydive twice....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

ANY maintenance done on an airplane must be signed off by a certified A&E. If his/her work was at fault, then they are complicit.    

Under the UK CAA & EASA that A&E has to have done an approved type course and have his license endorsed with that type and must hold a company approval,at least on commercial aircraft.

I think on the small stuff in the UK the A&E can get a group type rating & in the US an A & P mechanic can sign off most things,possibly up to & including 100 hour checks.It's been a long time since I used my A & P ticket & my EASA/UK license expired just after I retired.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Great Info 1

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I think on the small stuff in the UK the A&E can get a group type rating & in the US an A & P mechanic can sign off most things,possibly up to & including 100 hour checks

I gave a friend who is an A & E, 10% of my Cessna 310, and he did all of the maintenance including the 100 hour and the annual inspection for nothing. 

He, of course, used the bird occasionally.

• Thumbs Up 2