Pattaya lawyers to Notarize "Life Certificates" signatures etc

Derek Dangleberries

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

This is interesting as I never applied for Medicare. I was sent a Medicare card 30 days before it was to take effect with a letter saying if i chose to keep enrolled do nothing and if i chose to opt out let them know on line so they would cancel my card and not deduct the cost from my monthly benefit. I was dreading dealing with it but never had to it turned out

Medicare Part A is free and you're automatically signed up if you start taking Soc Sec benefits at age 65. The catch is if you want to wait on collecting Soc Sec then you have to sign up for Medicare during the window of 3 months before age 65 and by 7 months after. If you miss that window then you have to pay a penalty for signing up late.

When I turned 65 I signed up for Medicare as at that time I had planned on waiting until age 66 and half to collect Soc Sec as I would receive 100% benefits. A few weeks after I signed up for Medicare a friend hosted a pensioner party as he had received his first Soc Sec check.

We got to talking and while I didn't need the monthly benefit at that time, I realized there was no financial reason not to start collecting. In fact, since I plan on out living the actuaries' estimate of my demise I would come out ahead if I started collecting early.

Next day after the hangover subsided I tried using MySSA to enroll and found out, no can do since I spent my one shot at enrolling online for Medicare. That then required me to schedule an appointment for a call from the Philippine Soc Sec office. That took place about a month later, but the kind lady informed me if I wanted to, she could back date my application by one month and my first Soc Sec deposit would be for two months of payments. A month after that call I received the promised two months payments and hosted a pensioner party of my own. :default_fun:

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Medicare Part A is free and you're automatically signed up if you start taking Soc Sec benefits at age 65. The catch is if you want to wait on collecting Soc Sec then you have to sign up for Medicare during the window of 3 months before age 65 and by 7 months after. If you miss that window then you have to pay a penalty for signing up late.

When I turned 65 I signed up for Medicare as at that time I had planned on waiting until age 66 and half to collect Soc Sec as I would receive 100% benefits. A few weeks after I signed up for Medicare a friend hosted a pensioner party as he had received his first Soc Sec check.

We got to talking and while I didn't need the monthly benefit at that time, I realized there was no financial reason not to start collecting. In fact, since I plan on out living the actuaries' estimate of my demise I would come out ahead if I started collecting early.

Next day after the hangover subsided I tried using MySSA to enroll and found out, no can do since I spent my one shot at enrolling online for Medicare. That then required me to schedule an appointment for a call from the Philippine Soc Sec office. That took place about a month later, but the kind lady informed me if I wanted to, she could back date my application by one month and my first Soc Sec deposit would be for two months of payments. A month after that call I received the promised two months payments and hosted a pensioner party of my own. :default_fun:

Ah got ya

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

😁

😉

5 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Yes, that's about right. I got an estimate a few years ago and it was around £1,500/year, and with indexation since then I guesstimated it might now be worth £2K if I'm lucky. I paid the contributions, anyway, so I will claim it. Do you have any Dutch mates living out here who might know how to get the proof of life certified?

I wish I had any mates living out there. I'd say your best bet would be to contact the Dutch embassy and explain the situation. With a bit of luck some Dutch official might even sign it if you are in the neighbourhood for a personal visit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Freee!! said:

I wish I had any mates living out there. I'd say your best bet would be to contact the Dutch embassy and explain the situation. With a bit of luck some Dutch official might even sign it if you are in the neighbourhood for a personal visit.

Any idea if there's a Dutch consulate in the Pattaya area, or another country's consulate that will handle things for the Dutch government? I think the Danish consulate down here does a lot of that kind of thing.

21 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Slightly related to your situation..I was registered and paid tax in Norway for some time but when it came time to reclaiming any benefits it seemed that you had to be a Norwegian resident to qualify...

Brits receiving the Dutch state pension (and vice versa) is a well-established process, due in part to the two giant Anglo-Dutch corporations, Unilever and Royal Dutch/Shell and the tens of thousands of expats they have had moving between the two countries for many decades. The Dutch system is transparent, it's possible to check your entitlement and I gather that if you request them to, the DWP will actually make the claim on your behalf. It's the annual proof-of-life malarkey when you're living in a place like Thailand that's the problem. I had a look once at the six or eight 'official' ways you can get the form certified, and none of them actually seemed possible out here. That's why I was interested when several people mentioned to me (online rather than in person) that all you have to do is get a Thai social security office to certify it. Sounds simple, but where the bejeezus would I find such a place in our fair city?

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Any idea if there's a Dutch consulate in the Pattaya area, or another country's consulate that will handle things for the Dutch government? I think the Danish consulate down here does a lot of that kind of thing.

There is the Dutch embassy in Bangkok and a Dutch consulate in Phuket, that is all I can find.

7 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Brits receiving the Dutch state pension (and vice versa) is a well-established process, due in part to the two giant Anglo-Dutch corporations, Unilever and Royal Dutch/Shell and the tens of thousands of expats they have had moving between the two countries for many decades. The Dutch system is transparent, it's possible to check your entitlement and I gather that if you request them to, the DWP will actually make the claim on your behalf. It's the annual proof-of-life malarkey when you're living in a place like Thailand that's the problem. I had a look once at the six or eight 'official' ways you can get the form certified, and none of them actually seemed possible out here. That's why I was interested when several people mentioned to me (online rather than in person) that all you have to do is get a Thai social security office to certify it. Sounds simple, but where the bejeezus would I find such a place in our fair city?

Would a certification by immigration suffice? If you are going there anyway for your visa extension/regular reporting, it might be worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am in Hua Hin and Over the years I have used:

hospital administrator where I was getting some tetanus shots;

a neighbour who is an ex UK Civil Servant (wont have a company stamp but added his  government department plus address and staff number);

a neighbour who owned a house in company name and he signed as company director and added the company stamp; 

solicitor who had done some legal work.

The solicitor last week charged 1000 Baht the only one to ask for payment.

All replies have been accepted by UK Pensions.

Good luck

Don't forget time limits for receipt by the Pensions Dept and take account of postal deliveries here and in UK. If you know someone returning to UK or Ireland ask them to post from there. 

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, thai-papa-jim said:

Don't forget time limits for receipt by the Pensions Dept and take account of postal deliveries here and in UK. If you know someone returning to UK or Ireland ask them to post from there. 

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Good point... Mine said 16 weeks after they posted it ..

I'm having mine done today at 2pm by a local Thai lawyer, she's still quoting 500bht which is what i paid 4 years ago. Now when sending back to the UK i'm going to use EMS which is hideously expensive (4 years ago it was 1300bht) but it virtually guarantees timely delivery. I can't be asked messing around with the DWP in the UK in respect of non or late delivery, after all its only every couple of years its required.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now when sending back to the UK i'm going to use EMS which is hideously expensive (4 years ago it was 1300bht) but it virtually guarantees timely delivery.

1,200 ST but 350LT ....It still gets you there in the end...... It is cheaper sent from a Post Office but I went to a local "shop"

For my 350 Baht I can see that mine is "somewhere" between Thailand and UK... Using Thai and UK websites to trace it ......

5 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm having mine done today at 2pm by a local Thai lawyer, she's still quoting 500bht which is what i paid 4 years ago. Now when sending back to the UK i'm going to use EMS which is hideously expensive (4 years ago it was 1300bht) but it virtually guarantees timely delivery. I can't be asked messing around with the DWP in the UK in respect of non or late delivery, after all its only every couple of years its required.

If the proof of life arrives late or not at all is the worst that happens they suspend your payment and then pay out the missed payments when they finally receive the document?

My understanding that's what happens with our Soc Sec payments so I wasn't overly concerned using the cheapest and slowest method of sending the document.

That also raises another issue if you send the document in good faith and they claim not to have received it. The issue being your monthly payments are suspended which in turn would invalidate your extension to stay if you were using the 65K/month method.

• Great Info 2

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

If the proof of life arrives late or not at all is the worst that happens they suspend your payment and then pay out the missed payments when they finally receive the document?

My understanding that's what happens with our Soc Sec payments so I wasn't overly concerned using the cheapest and slowest method of sending the document.

That also raises another issue if you send the document in good faith and they claim not to have received it. The issue being your monthly payments are suspended which in turn would invalidate your extension to stay if you were using the 65K/month method.

in UK yes if its late then the withheld payments are sent with the next due payment. happened to me once. when I called them the lady admitted it had been received but not processed. the missed payment was made with my next payment.

Good point about the retirement extension.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

I sent my POL form to the UK today, the main Post Office in Soi 13/2 was surprisingly empty.

The lady at the desk just inside the door on the r/h side said my letter would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, possibly a bit more, price was 6bt for an EMS envelope and 1,100bt for the actual postage. She then said that if it's important that maybe i should try DHL.

So off i trundled up to 2nd road, turned left and went to the Tip Plaza where the DHL office is.

The two ladies there both spoke good English, took a photocopy of my passport which i had to sign then they typed out the address sticker and delivery note, put my envelope containing my form into a big plastic bag and sealed it. I asked how long the delivery will take, she replied "it will be delivered on Wednesday, if not then Thursday morning" !!!  

OK, it was not the cheapest option at 1,300bt, but i feel far happier with DHL handling it then the Thai Postal system.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good point, i'm ok with that issue as my private company pension well exceeds the 65K per month but i agree those reliant on the state pension to achieve the 65k have a real problem, i wonder how they would overcome the problem ?

24 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Good point, i'm ok with that issue as my private company pension well exceeds the 65K per month but i agree those reliant on the state pension to achieve the 65k have a real problem, i wonder how they would overcome the problem ?

Using an agent on the next extension would probably work.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/13/2023 at 9:28 PM, SteveBC said:

I sent my POL form to the UK today, the main Post Office in Soi 13/2 was surprisingly empty.

The lady at the desk just inside the door on the r/h side said my letter would take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, possibly a bit more, price was 6bt for an EMS envelope and 1,100bt for the actual postage. She then said that if it's important that maybe i should try DHL.

So off i trundled up to 2nd road, turned left and went to the Tip Plaza where the DHL office is.

The two ladies there both spoke good English, took a photocopy of my passport which i had to sign then they typed out the address sticker and delivery note, put my envelope containing my form into a big plastic bag and sealed it. I asked how long the delivery will take, she replied "it will be delivered on Wednesday, if not then Thursday morning" !!!  

OK, it was not the cheapest option at 1,300bt, but i feel far happier with DHL handling it then the Thai Postal system.

Well Well.... My sons are trying to send an important doc to me as well ... via the GPO (Is it still called that?).. but apparently their website has been hacked so they too recommended DHL.

As for my POL ....according to the Thai Post website it left from Suvarnabhumi on Friday but there has been no update since... I am presuming no updates are being done on the UK side for the same reason...

Well, further to my post on Monday about sending my POL form to the UK via DHL.

The lady said it would be delivered on Wednesday, Thursday morning at the latest, ( i thought she may of been referring to next week )...

But by Buddha according to the tracking info it should be delivered today !!!! That's brilliant considering it was almost midday Monday before i got to their office.....

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by SteveBC
  • Great Info 3

2 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Just to conclude the above, delivery was done at 11:14am UK time yesterday.

So only 2 days from when i gave to the DHL office in Tipp Plaza.

Outstanding service........

Screenshot (4).png

Mine still says "left Suvarnabhumi" last Friday morning with no update since. I'm putting it down to the problems with the UK Post Office website rather than Thai Post...

• Sad 1

Speaking of proof of life, anyone using a "deadman switch" system to send out an email notifying family and/or friends if you go inactive?

Saw on another forum Google has such a feature (link), although the minimum inactive period of 3 months is, IMHO, too long. Prefer something that requires a push on the deadman switch every week. This site offers that, but only with the paid version, otherwise it activates after two days of inactivity.

This got me to thinking I could probably use my coding skills to roll my own deadman switch, but would first be interested if anyone knows of other options I'm not aware of.

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Speaking of proof of life, anyone using a "deadman switch" system to send out an email notifying family and/or friends if you go inactive?

Saw on another forum Google has such a feature (link), although the minimum inactive period of 3 months is, IMHO, too long. Prefer something that requires a push on the deadman switch every week. This site offers that, but only with the paid version, otherwise it activates after two days of inactivity.

This got me to thinking I could probably use my coding skills to roll my own deadman switch, but would first be interested if anyone knows of other options I'm not aware of.

There is a bloke on one of @tommy dee interviews that I swapped a few emails with.

I wouldn't trust the Insurance Broker he interviewed with a cent of my money (I am not worried about litigation because I have all the emails) but the bloke that offers the internment, informing families and  "documentation" part of your death is worth the effort.....

Thinking back, I thought you were part of the discussion.

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

There is a bloke on one of @tommy dee interviews that I swapped a few emails with.

I wouldn't trust the Insurance Broker he interviewed with a cent of my money (I am not worried about litigation because I have all the emails) but the bloke that offers the internment, informing families and  "documentation" part of your death is worth the effort.....

Thinking back, I thought you were part of the discussion.

Must have been someone else as I don't remember the discussion.

I also wouldn't trust anyone other than a close friend or family member to hold my account info. If an email were activated due to inactivity on my part, all it would contain is instructions to act on a pre-planned method to gain access to my accounts.

• Great Info 1

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I have not done this but I am registered with the US embassy so when I take a dirt nap my family back home will know pretty quickly

• Like 1