What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Having a coffee in Swampy basement.

Indian chap comes up to my table, asks if I speak English and then wether he could sit with me.

There were 4 empty tables next to me.

I declined his offer, he span back around walked off.

At least he didn't try to sell me a "vatch" or want to read my fortune 😛

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Painter said:

Having listened(from the condo!) to sound checks coming from the beach, I headed the other ways to check on Striderman's dogs. One appeared confused, the others stayed asleep...

20231229_104524.jpg

20231229_105230.jpg

They must be missing their regular visits and food.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Indian chap comes up to my table, asks if I speak English and then wether he could sit with me.

That is an interesting scenario. I say this because I am thinking how I might respond with a similar circumstance.

Many of those folks travelling are completely out of their element. In otherwords frightened about something, or even feel it as abnormal to eat alone.

If I was in a position where I had time I might actually of said yes. More for purpose of self entertainment to see what was going through his head. 

I almost always eat alone. Never give it a second thought. Some people come close to having a nervous fcuking breakdown without being able to eat with others. Partly cultural, partly habit, and maybe partly pure stupidity. 

Sometimes people just want to "pick your brain" because they are too ignorant to figure things out for themsleves. I used to hate being "used" for questions to answers that were right in front of their noses. A legit question, I would bend over backwards to help someone. When they are just being lazy they can fcuk off.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did you have that alluring after shave on again? 😊

• Haha 5

The saga of my aircon continues...

My condo has 2 ac u it's, one in the bedroom, which works OK, one in the living room which is noisy and blows warm air. The condo technicians inspected it 10 days ago, and reported a hole in a gas pipe, and the entire installation needed replacing. 

The owner instructed an external engineer to visit, who reported the same.

Not wanting to have a 30,000+ baht bill, the owner instructed a 2nd external chap to visit. He was booked in for yesterday at 13.00hrs, but at 13.30, when asked, reported he couldn't make it and would come today.

Dead on 13.00hrs a knock on the door. He prodded and poked, and obviously bent something above the ceiling, or shoved a bit of paper in whatever was noisy, and toddled off to find the compressor. 

5 minutes later.... he reports it needs regassing,  but he can't do it until he has confirmation of who will pay, and of course, the office is shut for lunch. 

Either the first 2 engineers were pulling a fast one, or this one hasn't found the hole the others found..... we'll see!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

That is an interesting scenario. I say this because I am thinking how I might respond with a similar circumstance.

Many of those folks travelling are completely out of their element. In otherwords frightened about something, or even feel it as abnormal to eat alone.

If I was in a position where I had time I might actually of said yes. More for purpose of self entertainment to see what was going through his head. 

I almost always eat alone. Never give it a second thought. Some people come close to having a nervous fcuking breakdown without being able to eat with others. Partly cultural, partly habit, and maybe partly pure stupidity. 

Sometimes people just want to "pick your brain" because they are too ignorant to figure things out for themsleves. I used to hate being "used" for questions to answers that were right in front of their noses. A legit question, I would bend over backwards to help someone. When they are just being lazy they can fcuk off.

This was the basement of the airport, near the metro station for airport.

He had no luggage, not even a small rusack. Unlike every other customer around me who had luggage.

Long odds on it was a sob story with a request for money at the end of it.

Occam's razor.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Did you have that alluring after shave on again? 😊

I was smartly dressed, most of the other customers were more back Packers.

Sachin I'd say had me  down as the mark most likely to have a few baht

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just discovered there are two Sun & Moon hotels in Phnom Penh?!

Sun & Moon Urban, and Sun & Moon riverside.

The former is in an area known as the Riverside!!!

I selected the wrong one, now the Passap driver is cheerfully taking me to the correct one!

The fare is the dreaded up to you!! 

Have checked the correct fare, will give him a decent tip, nice lad and good to be back in Cambodia.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

51 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

This was the basement of the airport, near the metro station for airport.

He had no luggage, not even a small rusack. Unlike every other customer around me who had luggage.

Long odds on it was a sob story with a request for money at the end of it.

Occam's razor.

You were probably much nicer than I would have been in that case.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Just discovered there are two Sun & Moon hotels in Phnom Penh?!

Sun & Moon Urban, and Sun & Moon riverside.

The former is in an area known as the Riverside!!!

I selected the wrong one, now the Passap driver is cheerfully taking me to the correct one!

The fare is the dreaded up to you!! 

Have checked the correct fare, will give him a decent tip, nice lad and good to be back in Cambodia.

I took two 20 minute Grab trips yesterday. They were both great guys, and safe drivers.

The only distractions they had was me yakking away. They both took really good care of me, and we had some good laughs. And in return I took good care of them. Even though they would have provided the same level of service whether I gave them a nickle or a $20 tip.

Yesterday I gave the primary security guy at our gate a nice New Years gift (I'm not going to say how much), he gave me a bunch of overly ripe bananas from his garden. I will probably not eat one of them, but those bananas are worth more to me than an ounce of gold.

Almost every day I am reminded that making the decision to move here was the right thing to do. I will do some really stupid things from time to time, but relocating to here is not one of them.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

20 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Almost every day I am reminded that making the decision to move here was the right thing to do. I will do some really stupid things from time to time, but relocating to here is not one of them.

Brilliant, you can't wish for any better. I'm starting to feel the same way. Enjoying life in Thailand 😁

• Thumbs Up 3

My first thought was that he was going to enquire your flight details and ask if you could check in a suitcase for him as he had excess baggage. Perhaps all his baggage was elsewhere with his family ..

It has happened to me multiple times over the years at different airports ..

• Great Info 2

3 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

My first thought was that he was going to enquire your flight details and ask if you could check in a suitcase for him as he had excess baggage. Perhaps all his baggage was elsewhere with his family ..

Most unusual situations we encounter require a quick calculation of what is presented to you at that moment, and then a decision is made. We used to call it "the totality of the circumstances". 

Then you go with the decision, follow up with self analysis, articulate within yourself the reason(s) you made the decision and move on.

Most times we feel good about our response (confidence). Other times we consider how we responded from a different perspective (doubt). 

Not taking the time or not weighing both within oursleves is where we can sometimes fail.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Most unusual situations we encounter require a quick calculation of what is presented to you at that moment, and then a decision is made. We used to call it "the totality of the circumstances". 

Then you go with the decision, follow up with self analysis, articulate within yourself the reason(s) you made the decision and move on.

Most times we feel good about our response (confidence). Other times we consider how we responded from a different perspective (doubt). 

Not taking the time or not weighing both within oursleves is where we can sometimes fail.

Or you say "f**k Off" the moment a stranger asks you to check in a suitcase for them ..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Painter said:

The saga of my aircon continues...

My condo has 2 ac u it's, one in the bedroom, which works OK, one in the living room which is noisy and blows warm air. The condo technicians inspected it 10 days ago, and reported a hole in a gas pipe, and the entire installation needed replacing. 

The owner instructed an external engineer to visit, who reported the same.

Not wanting to have a 30,000+ baht bill, the owner instructed a 2nd external chap to visit. He was booked in for yesterday at 13.00hrs, but at 13.30, when asked, reported he couldn't make it and would come today.

Dead on 13.00hrs a knock on the door. He prodded and poked, and obviously bent something above the ceiling, or shoved a bit of paper in whatever was noisy, and toddled off to find the compressor. 

5 minutes later.... he reports it needs regassing,  but he can't do it until he has confirmation of who will pay, and of course, the office is shut for lunch. 

Either the first 2 engineers were pulling a fast one, or this one hasn't found the hole the others found..... we'll see!

Gas pipes shouldn't get holes as they're non ferrous and so should not corrode, so the hole may be a crack caused by poor installation, so when the ACU vibrates either in part, or as a whole , the pipe in question becomes stressed and eventually cracks and leaks, or breaks from the main AF union where it feeds into / comes from.

Noisy indoor unit as part f the split type set up usually indicates wankered fans / blower assembly.

As a  result of the gas going missing, from whichever method, the compressor is working hard as it'll be permanently running as the unit is getting a message from the thermostat that the room is warm and the temp has not yet been met. This, over a long period will wanker the compressor. However , compressors are relatively simple bits of kit and tend to have a long lifespan, especially in A/C set ups (Although it's donkeys years since my simple HVAC course).

The noise could be from a dodgy condenser fan as well (if it's the outside unit on a split type)

If the compressor is knackered (if the unit is noisy, it probably is) then it's a de gas, swap out and re gas.

1 minute ago, Butch said:

Gas pipes shouldn't get holes as they're non ferrous and so should not corrode, so the hole may be a crack caused by poor installation, so when the ACU vibrates either in part, or as a whole , the pipe in question becomes stressed and eventually cracks and leaks, or breaks from the main AF union where it feeds into / comes from.

Noisy indoor unit as part f the split type set up usually indicates wankered fans / blower assembly.

As a  result of the gas going missing, from whichever method, the compressor is working hard as it'll be permanently running as the unit is getting a message from the thermostat that the room is warm and the temp has not yet been met. This, over a long period will wanker the compressor. However , compressors are relatively simple bits of kit and tend to have a long lifespan, especially in A/C set ups (Although it's donkeys years since my simple HVAC course).

The noise could be from a dodgy condenser fan as well (if it's the outside unit on a split type)

If the compressor is knackered (if the unit is noisy, it probably is) then it's a de gas, swap out and re gas.

All understood... 

No idea about any noise from the compressor as it's either in the parking lot under the building or on the roof. The inside bit is one of those in the ceiling units.... the guy this afternoon stuck his head and torso up there, armed with a screwdriver and pliers, and bent/straightened/jammed something, and the rattle has stopped. 

I'm testing it tonight, and so far it's got the room down to 22°, and I'm thinking about finding dome socks...

The condo technicians were getting quite animated in the office this afternoon when the guy left having filled the unit up, so we'll see over the next few days what happens ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I’m always suspicious of anyone like that, I treat them like a Soi Nana bar girl telling me how handsome I am!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Look forward to watching your episode of 'Banged up abroad' :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Fair point, and I can understand in a different scenario I might have been more amenable.

But he was a conman.

He'd made a semi effort putting a shirt and trousers aside from the red flags I'd mentioned above, his shoes were absolutely filthy.

Mud caked around them.

About my only lucid moment of the day mind you. Dropped my guard after that and did multiple daft things!!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2