Renewing A Thai Driving Licence - a few questions.

Horizondave

2 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

So we have booked an appointment at the Udon Thani DLT for 27th March 2024 to renew our expired 5 year driver's lincences. This gives us a day and a half to get the medical certificate and resident confirmation certficate from Immigration done. We have both done our online DLT tests.

We pass a doctor on our way to the wife's village house so this will be done on the 25th when we leave the airport. For the resident confirmation certificate is there a form you can pre-fill out and is everything just done at the immigration office.

Any information provided would be appreciated.

DLT.jpg

The certificate of residency is no. 22 on the list in the link below.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

Edited to add: Lucky you that you can book an appointment online. I'm still waiting for that to become available for the DLT office we use in the backwater city of Pattaya.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Hope they can issue the residence certifcate on the day we go there (26/03/2024). Maybe my wife can offer to buy them lunch.

Maybe it works differently in Udon. In Hua Hin they ask you to come back in 48 hours, but when I used Immigration in Khon Kaen, I got the residence certificate the same day 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Smiler said:

Be interested to hear of your experiences Groggy, I need to renew my licenses at Udon in May.

Keep us posted please matey 👍

Will do.

Would you have the Udon Thani Thai Immigration address. The missus just asked me where it is. 

1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Will do.

Would you have the Udon Thani Thai Immigration address. The missus just asked me where it is. 

Don't have the address but I can tell you where it is - on the main road comming from Khon Kaen, its on the left hand side, maybe 5kms before you get to Udon. Not very exact I am afraid but I hope it helps.

Still don't have a definate date when I will be back but when I do I'll message you and see if we can arrange a meet if you are up for it? I'd like to be home just before Songkran but what with one thing and another its a bit difficult to make firm plans right now. Hope to stay till mid May.

1 hour ago, Smiler said:

Don't have the address but I can tell you where it is - on the main road comming from Khon Kaen, its on the left hand side, maybe 5kms before you get to Udon. Not very exact I am afraid but I hope it helps.

Still don't have a definate date when I will be back but when I do I'll message you and see if we can arrange a meet if you are up for it? I'd like to be home just before Songkran but what with one thing and another its a bit difficult to make firm plans right now. Hope to stay till mid May.

Cheers.

I'll be in Udon Thani from 25t March to 11th April with a break in Nong Khai 3rd - 6th April.

• 3 weeks later...

So arrived in Udon Thani on Monday and got the  new car and bike licences today.

Monday: Medical certificates (200 baht, 100 baht each), 30 minutes

Tuesday: Residence certificates (1000 bbaht, 500 baht each) 30 minutes

Wednesday: Driver's licences (760 baht, car 505 baht and motor bike 255 baht) 90 minutes. This would have only taken 30 minutes as well but the licences referenced my old passport and not my new one. I didn't have my old passport or a photo of it so my mum had to go around to my house in Australia and take a photo of the old passport which they then accepted.

So what was needed for each licence: Medical certificate, Residence certificate, copy of my passport main page, visa page and the page with entry stamp. Also had to the online DLT training and show a copy of the QR code showing it was completed. Also needed to show them the QR code for the booking appointment time for today.  

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

So arrived in Udon Thani on Monday and got the  new car and bike licences today.

Monday: Medical certificates (200 baht, 100 baht each), 30 minutes

Tuesday: Residence certificates (1000 bbaht, 500 baht each) 30 minutes

Wednesday: Driver's licences (760 baht, car 505 baht and motor bike 255 baht) 90 minutes. This would have only taken 30 minutes as well but the licences referenced my old passport and not my new one. I didn't have my old passport or a photo of it so my mum had to go around to my house in Australia and take a photo of the old passport which they then accepted.

So what was needed for each licence: Medical certificate, Residence certificate, copy of my passport main page, visa page and the page with entry stamp. Also had to the online DLT training and show a copy of the QR code showing it was completed. Also needed to show them the QR code for the booking appointment time for today.  

Glad you got it all sorted.

The differences for me in Hua Hin (Pranburi) was that I watched the video at the centre (55 mins), spent 5 mins doing the practical inhouse tests. I also got 2 resident certificates (1 for bike, 1 for car) free of charge. That saved a bit of money, although had to wait 48 hours to pick up.

Presume you also got 5 years from your next birthday?.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Glad you got it all sorted.

The differences for me in Hua Hin (Pranburi) was that I watched the video at the centre (55 mins), spent 5 mins doing the practical inhouse tests. I also got 2 resident certificates (1 for bike, 1 for car) free of charge. That saved a bit of money, although had to wait 48 hours to pick up.

Presume you also got 5 years from your next birthday?.

Yes but 5 years from next week when my birthday is. That's why it was important everything went smoothly as the 12 month expiry was up next week.

Yes but 5 years from next week when my birthday is. That's why it was important everything went smoothly as the 12 month expiry was up next week.

Too late now i know, but if you had waited until after your Birthday you would of got an (almost) extra year Mr. Monster.

They date them 5 years from your next Birthday.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you had waited to just after your b'day the expiration date would be five years from your next birthdate.

And an early happy b'day to you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, forcebwithu said:

If you had waited to just after your b'day the expiration date would be five years from your next birthdate.

Snap !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Yes, I did benefit from getting my licence in September 2023, it ran out in July 2023 (my birthday). I thought they were going to just give me 5 years from that July, but they gave me new licences valid from September 2023 plus 5 years from this July (2024), so runs out in July 2029. Almost 6 years validity.

Not bad for a non resident on a 30 day exempt visa and with residence at Initial Condo Hotel, staying only 9 nights in the country.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Too late now i know, but if you had waited until after your Birthday you would of got an (almost) extra year Mr. Monster.

They date them 5 years from your next Birthday.

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

No because it expired in April 2023 and if I waited until after my birthday next month it would have been 12 months since it run out and I would have to do all the videos and written and practical tests again.

That already happened once before when I forgot to get a visa before coming over and they would not renew my licence. The following year with the correct visa I had to spend 2 days getting new licences.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Yes, I did benefit from getting my licence in September 2023, it ran out in July 2023 (my birthday). I thought they were going to just give me 5 years from that July, but they gave me new licences valid from September 2023 plus 5 years from this July (2024), so runs out in July 2029. Almost 6 years validity.

Not bad for a non resident on a 30 day exempt visa and with residence at Initial Condo Hotel, staying only 9 nights in the country.

Pattaya DLT wouldn’t renew my licence on a 30 day exempt visa.

2 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Pattaya DLT wouldn’t renew my licence on a 30 day exempt visa.

Yes, I was rather shocked, but took an advance visit to Hua Hin immigration and posed that question. Was told no problem on a 30 day exempt visa. Being free was also a bonus.

I had previously been told by an agent on Soi 94 that I needed a Non O visa and to have residence in Hua Hin. Immigration even advised me that staying in hotel for 9 days was also acceptable.

I was a happy boy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3