What did you learn today?

fygjam

18 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I learned today that waking up after drinking until 4am still feels like crap, the same as it did the last multiple times!

It's the sleep that does it.

You go to bed feeling fine and wake up feeling crap and all you did was go to sleep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I learned today that waking up after drinking until 4am still feels like crap, the same as it did the last multiple times!

I've found that sometimes it is better to just stay up the whole night. 

I can handle a missed night of sleep much better than when younger and still function fairly normally.

• Surprised 1

I learn't that 1kg weight lost yesterday can amazingly just appear back the next day. My only explanation is more water drunk over the weekend. Well back to the beginning.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I learn't that 1kg weight lost yesterday can amazingly just appear back the next day. My only explanation is more water drunk over the weekend. Well back to the beginning.

As you mention, 1ltr of water/beer is 1kg. So very easy for your weight to vary.....

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Zambo said:

Stay away from the scale. Keep going with the activity. The scale will only contribute to distraction. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was going to write a story about thinking my daughter had dropped my laptop, despite her protestations, as I could not switch my laptop on. There was power to it, but could not switch the damn thing on, just a blank screen. 

Anyhow, Google is your friend, and it's advice (a few things to do) was to hold the power button on for 30 seconds and maybe it will work. Didn't believe that would work, but low and behold, it did. It is now working, and I have done a troubleshoot of the power settings. I have also done a scan with Total AV and it now appears to be working fine. 

I usually power it down but I know these things can stay in sleep mode overnight, if using everyday, so next time I won't power down.

I feel guilty that I thought my daughter had dropped it so she has been rewarded with an ice cream. She was out of bed before me this morning and sitting by my laptop, so I probably put two and two together, especially as she wasn't convincing when i asked about any accidents.

It's my bonus laptop (repurposed from British Airways), so wasn't going to jump up and down too much. Had been using my old laptop for a while, which was quite amusing, took me a moment to get used to where the delete and enter buttons were.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I was going to write a story about thinking my daughter had dropped my laptop, despite her protestations, as I could not switch my laptop on. There was power to it, but could not switch the damn thing on, just a blank screen. 

Anyhow, Google is your friend, and it's advice (a few things to do) was to hold the power button on for 30 seconds and maybe it will work. Didn't believe that would work, but low and behold, it did. It is now working, and I have done a troubleshoot of the power settings. I have also done a scan with Total AV and it now appears to be working fine. 

I usually power it down but I know these things can stay in sleep mode overnight, if using everyday, so next time I won't power down.

I feel guilty that I thought my daughter had dropped it so she has been rewarded with an ice cream. She was out of bed before me this morning and sitting by my laptop, so I probably put two and two together, especially as she wasn't convincing when i asked about any accidents.

It's my bonus laptop (repurposed from British Airways), so wasn't going to jump up and down too much. Had been using my old laptop for a while, which was quite amusing, took me a moment to get used to where the delete and enter buttons were.

That kind of thing can happen sometimes when the OS gets updated followed by an automatic reboot. It gets stuck in the reboot process and only a hard reset by holding down the power button for 10+ seconds will force the computer out of its fugue state.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I have this happen to me from time to time. I think the main culprit is when you have too many windows open with active apps which causes the computer to "lock up" and screen go black. The past three times this has happend I just let the battery completely drain. Then repower for a few min. and fire it back up. Probelm solved, the usual pain in the ass.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I have this happen to me from time to time. I think the main culprit is when you have too many windows open with active apps which causes the computer to "lock up" and screen go black. The past three times this has happend I just let the battery completely drain. Then repower for a few min. and fire it back up. Probelm solved, the usual pain in the ass.

No need to let the battery drain, just force a reboot by holding the power key down for 10+ seconds. Works on an android phone too, but for that you have hold both the power and volume down keys simultaneously.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

No need to let the battery drain, just force a reboot by holding the power key down for 10+ seconds. Works on an android phone too, but for that you have hold both the power and volume down keys simultaneously.

For a Surface Pro, Google mentioned having to hold the power button for 30 seconds and not letting go; it actually was about 30 seconds before it booted up.

The thing is, it worked and I am happy to be using the system again, my daughter is also happy that I haven't taken back my old laptop permanently.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:21 PM, Glasseye said:

I've found that sometimes it is better to just stay up the whole night. 

I can handle a missed night of sleep much better than when younger and still function fairly normally.

I pretty much did that, but these days I can't make it through 2 days with no sleep, especially when being tanked up with booze. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, boydeste said:

Decided to have a night off the booze, so entered another comp tonight. 

9 ball this time, I won my group and made it through to the Wonga.

Now sat waiting for my opponent to play the semi-final. 

Took a layer off my tip to get more spin as it is dry and hard from 8 months in storage here. Seems to have helped me.

Not going to invest in a new tip this Winter as it will only dry out again. 

Thanks to @boydeste I just learned cue tips have layers that can be removed to get more spin. Watch out King's Club, you'll soon have a new pool shark in your midst. :default_party-smiley-048:

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:30 AM, forcebwithu said:

Thanks to @boydeste I just learned cue tips have layers that can be removed to get more spin. Watch out King's Club, you'll soon have a new pool shark in your midst. :default_party-smiley-048:

image.jpeg

Why are those tips brown colored ?    🤔