What did you learn today?

fygjam

5 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I still have an old pair of black oxfords I bought back in the early 90's. One pair black, one pair brown. 

I kept the black ones. I think more for sentimental reasons than anything. For a couple years I had to wear a suit and tie. Those shoes saw a lot of things during those years. Many of which only the shoes and I knew about or witnessed.

I splashed £300 on a pair of Tods loafers, absolutely superb and worth every penny 

• Thumbs Up 1

I learned today to bide my time and not jump. I was in JD Sports and looking for a pair of white Converse Allstar trainers for Kataleya. They had size 3 at £55 but was looking for size 2.5. They had kids sizes at size 2 for £48 but thought, no, I really should get the size she needed.

Didn't think that Sports Direct (next door) would have them but tried anyway. On looking I could not see them, but on asking, I was told they were at the front of the store.  They had red on show (couldn't see white) so thought that was it but they were too small. Asked what they had in 2.5, and on checking they said the only 2.5 they had was the last pair of white. In luck, and not only that, but as they were the last pair they had been reduced to £28. 

It pays to be patient, so happy I didn't take a lessor option. Kataleya will be pleased. In fact at that cost she will get some more presents now.

• Thumbs Up 5

33 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I learned today to bide my time and not jump. I was in JD Sports and looking for a pair of white Converse Allstar trainers for Kataleya. They had size 3 at £55 but was looking for size 2.5. They had kids sizes at size 2 for £48 but thought, no, I really should get the size she needed.

Didn't think that Sports Direct (next door) would have them but tried anyway. On looking I could not see them, but on asking, I was told they were at the front of the store.  They had red on show (couldn't see white) so thought that was it but they were too small. Asked what they had in 2.5, and on checking they said the only 2.5 they had was the last pair of white. In luck, and not only that, but as they were the last pair they had been reduced to £28. 

It pays to be patient, so happy I didn't take a lessor option. Kataleya will be pleased. In fact at that cost she will get some more presents now.

I have about 15 pairs of adidas trainers.

Welcome to the world of bipolar and obsessive fixation.

😂

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2023 at 2:13 AM, galenkia said:

I have about 15 pairs of adidas trainers.

Welcome to the world of bipolar and obsessive fixation.

😂

While i was stopped at traffic lights a few days ago I saw a guy crossing the road with blue shirt, yellow running shorts and wearing one blue trainer, one yellow. I'm trying to work out how many possible combinations you could have, probably infinite.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Zambo said:

While i was stopped at traffic lights a few days ago I saw a guy crossing the road with blue shirt, yellow running shorts and wearing one blue trainer, one yellow. I'm trying to work out how many possible combinations you could have, probably infinite.

Fifteen different pairs of shoes can have 435 combinations. Adding two different shirts and two different shorts increases the number to 46376.

I fed 30 (15 left and 15 right shoes, all differently colored) and two choices  into an online calculator for the first answer and 34 items and four choices for the second.

https://www.statskingdom.com/combinations-calculator.html

2 minutes ago, forqalso said:

Fifteen different pairs of shoes can have 435 combinations. Adding two different shirts and two different shorts increases the number to 46376.

I fed 30 (15 left and 15 right shoes, all differently colored) and two choices  into an online calculator for the first answer and 34 items and four choices for the second.

Wow, all Galenkia has to do now is invest in a few shorts and shirts (wonder if he wears caps, and let's not get into socks) and that's going to keep Galenkia looking stylish for about 120 years.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, forqalso said:

That assumes he can wear a right foot shoe on either foot or a left foot shoe on either foot.

Take a left foot shoe from any pair. It can only be mismatched with 14 right foot shoes. So for the 15 pairs, 15x14=210.

21 minutes ago, fygjam said:

That assumes he can wear a right foot shoe on either foot or a left foot shoe on either foot.

Take a left foot shoe from any pair. It can only be mismatched with 14 right foot shoes. So for the 15 pairs, 15x14=210.

Thinking now, it may also include options like three shoes and a shirt, since  I didn’t require a combination of two shoes, a pair of shorts and a top for every possible answer. That requires too much brain power for me, even when using that calculator. 

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

Wow, all Galenkia has to do now is invest in a few shorts and shirts (wonder if he wears caps, and let's not get into socks) and that's going to keep Galenkia looking stylish for about 120 years.

Trust me, I have so many clothes from the Castore website, I probably have enough to last about 200 years.

😂

• Haha 2

I just learned there's a Public Domain Day that is celebrated on 1 January every year. What brought my attention to this day is the following headline.

Mickey Mouse, Long a Symbol in Copyright Wars, to Enter Public Domain: ‘It’s Finally Happening’

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2024/

January 1, 2024 is Public Domain Day: Works from 1928 are open to all, as are sound recordings from 1923!

image.png

Edited by forcebwithu

On 12/22/2023 at 8:17 PM, fygjam said:

On 12/22/2023 at 10:33 PM, galenkia said:

Trust me, I have so many clothes from the Castore website, I probably have enough to last about 200 years.

😂

6 hours ago, forqalso said:

I just found out that John Amos, who played the father on the American sitcom Good Times, is only seven and a half years older than Jimmy Walker, who played his oldest son on the show.

I've always been bad at math.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't learn about this today. But this story just reinforces the potential for this. It is something we tend to take for granted in the "West". But when over here you need to conscious of this everywhere you go.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cara-hodgson-orthodontist-influencer-electrocuted-freak-accident-thailand-response-2024-1?op=1

A dentist influencer was electrocuted in a 'freak accident' while in Thailand and urged her followers not to 'take life for granted'

Jan 3, 2024, 10:38 PM GMT+7

Dr. Cara Hodgson.
Dr. Cara Hodgson said she's recovering from the accident.
Instagram: @drhodgsonortho

• Dr. Cara Hodgson, an orthodontist and content creator, said she was electrocuted in a freak accident.
  • After her story circulated, she said she was "overwhelmed" by the attention she'd received.
  • She said the incident occurred during a trip to Thailand which she had been documenting on Instagram.
/public/assets/BI/US/logos/newsletters/insider-today-logo.png
NEW LOOK
Sign up to get the inside scoop on today’s biggest stories in markets, tech, and business — delivered daily. Read preview

By clicking “Sign Up”, you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. You can opt-out at any time.
/public/assets/rebrand/newsletter-bull.png

An orthodontist with an online presence said she's "overwhelmed" by the attention she's received after telling followers she was electrocuted in a "freak accident" while on a trip to Thailand.

Dr. Cara Hodgson, who is based in Los Angeles, California, has 25,500 Instagram followers and 97,000 followers on TikTok. She mainly uses the former to share travel and lifestyle content, but on TikTok, she focuses solely on dental work, posting mostly tips for people wearing braces as well as other dental advice.

On January 2, after two weeks of posting content on Instagram about her travels in Thailand, Hodgson revealed that she'd spent the last ten days in the hospital.

She wrote that during the trip, she was electrocuted by power lines, blacked out, and then was quickly rushed to the ER. "It's been the worst 10 days of my life — going in and out of hospitals, fighting to regain my strength and fighting for my life. I am so lucky to be here today," the caption read.

"Each text and message, even when I was too weak to answer, made all the difference to keep me fighting when I was losing hope," she wrote.

Multiple news outlets covered Hodgson's accident. She said in an Instagram story later that same day that she was made aware of the attention when she began to get "an insane amount" of phone calls and text messages, leading her to feel "overwhelmed."

Hodgson added that she would update followers on her recovery when she's ready, but acknowledged that she had a long road ahead of her.

Screenshot of Dr. Cara Hodgson's Instagram story
Screenshot of Dr. Cara Hodgson's Instagram story 
Instagram / @drhodgsonortho

"Sorry I've been MIA for the past 12 days. Still don't have a lot of energy to type it all out but just posted about why I've been gone," she wrote on Instagram. "In short, I am just so lucky to be here and to get to ring in 2024. Don't ever take it for granted. Love you all."

"I'm still not out of the woods yet — going to be a lot of upcoming doctor appointments, big lifestyle changes, need to regain my strength, my weight, and need a lot of help to recover from the PTSD of it all," she continued. "There are still unanswered questions, but I'm just so grateful to be here."

In previous Instagram stories that same day, Hodgson had posted images of care packages, including fruit arrangements, flowers, and balloons, saying they were "never ending" and once again thanking people for their support.

"I feel your love and it makes all the difference," she wrote, adding that she is "getting stronger every day."

It's unclear exactly where or when Hodgson's accident occurred. Her last Instagram post before she announced it was on December 24, and tagged from Bamboo Island in Krabi, a coastal province in the west of Thailand.

In 2023, there were reports of at least four people who were electrocuted in Thailand. Two women died from their injuries, according to local news outlets. A 12-year-old girl also died after being electrocuted by her phone charger in Nakhon Nayok province, Thailand, in February.

Hodgson did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have just learnt that the "Office World" that @forcebwithu discovered to be closed about 6 months ago is now a Wholesale food shop. At the moment I have no idea if it sells wine too !!!

Did that give you a woody ?        :default_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I have just learnt that the "Office World" that @forcebwithu discovered to be closed about 6 months ago is now a Wholesale food shop. At the moment I have no idea if it sells wine too !!!

Point out to the management that wine is considered as one of the essential food groups.

• Haha 1