Suggested reading if you have a Thai bank account

Bazle

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40026952

TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2023

Major commercial banks are urging their customers to go to the nearest branches to rescan their face for updates before face scanning becomes mandatory for certain mobile banking services starting next month.
Some banks will start enforcing the mandatory facial scanning next month and the others in June.

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) has instructed commercial banks to start requiring their clients to use facial scanning to confirm their identity instead of using OTP (one-time password) codes when making a transaction of 50,000 baht or more. The method is believed to be the safest way to prevent hacking or stealing of money via mobile banking.

Among major banks that have reminded clients to update or rescan their faces before they start using facial scanning for identity confirmation are: Siam Commercial Bank (SCB), Bangkok Bank, Krungthai Bank (KTB), Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri), Government Savings Bank (GSB), and Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC).

Bangkok Bank and GSB are starting the mandatory facial scans from next month, SCB and KTB in June, while Krungsri and BAAC are yet to announce the starting date. Facial scans would be necessary for users of SCB, GSB’s MyMo app, Bangkok Bank, and KTB’s Next app and Paotang app for three types of mobile banking transactions:

- Making a transfer of at least 50,000 baht to another person’s account, as well as making PromptPay or G-Wallet payment in the case of Bangkok Bank

- Making a transfer after the total daily transfer amount exceeds 200,000

- Increasing each transfer’s limit to 50,000 baht or more.

Users of the KMA Krungsri app and Krungsri Biz Online must immediately show their identification card at the nearest branches to have their face scanned and stored in the bank’s online database for using with the apps, the bank has said.

The BAAC has not said when it would start enforcing the new authentication method, but it has asked its customers to visit the nearest branches immediately to register for the “e-KYC” or “Electronic Know Your Customer” that will be used for identity confirmation when using mobile banking services.

The BAAC says its customers must bring their identification card and mobile phone to the nearest branch to register for the e-KYC identification and face scanning.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 3

Using finger prints with Kasikorn presently but only when accessing the account balances rather than the app itself.  Notice that Kasikorn isn't on the list above but might pop into my local Kbank when there in September for a health check.

• Like 1

Kasikorn asked me to start using their App when i was in last month updating my ATM card and Passport with them.

I just said i don't have the same Thai number that much, it would be too much hassle, which they accepted, and that was that.

ATM card it is ...

• Great Info 2

51 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I already use facial recognition on my Bangkok Bank app , but didn't have to go into the branch to set up ... 🤷‍♂️

Me, too. When my phone logs into the app, but is this something additional the banks are requiring?

34 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Kasikorn asked me to start using their App when i was in last month updating my ATM card and Passport with them.

I just said i don't have the same Thai number that much, it would be too much hassle, which they accepted, and that was that.

ATM card it is ...

Do you have/use online banking where you need to receive OTP codes?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, boydeste said:

I went into k bank here in hua hin jan to get a new card as my other card was about to go out of date,i asked to update my phone number so when i used said card id get the notifications of balance left,they didnt or wouldnt do it tho,cant remember the reason might have been cos i originally opened the account in pattaya.

• Surprised 2

7 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

cant remember the reason might have been cos i originally opened the account in pattaya.

I doubt that... When I moved down from up north I opened a bank account with Kasikorn on Beach road.. which closed down . My branch then moved to an upstairs broom cupboard in Kasikorn, Naklua which closed down, which then moved to the small branch on Theprasit which closed down, which then moved to Sukumvit next to McDs which closed down last year..

I ended up at the main branch near Tucom to renew my card .....Thank f**k I use an agent for my visas !!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

I went into k bank here in hua hin jan to get a new card as my other card was about to go out of date,i asked to update my phone number so when i used said card id get the notifications of balance left,they didnt or wouldnt do it tho,cant remember the reason might have been cos i originally opened the account in pattaya.

Happy to issue you a new card, but won't update your phone seems crazy to me.

Did you have to show your bank book and passport?

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

No. I have online banking with Kasikorn, just log on with the same user ID and password i always do. I don't really use it though, i just do what i always have, bring cash, change at Superrich, deposit in Kasikorn, use ATM or card as and when needed. 

I try not to complicate things :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

They offered me that in Bangkok no bother, whilst i had originally opened the account in Pattaya.

I declined anyway, had it before, and change numbers too much.

50 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Happy to issue you a new card, but won't update your phone seems crazy to me.

Did you have to show your bank book and passport?

I did when getting my new card, they had to update the system with my new Passport, then updated the book.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1