Insurance

Glasseye

It's mental how much Travel Insurance has went up from last year.

I get a annual worldwide family one, it had went up near 40%. 

I complained and they said it was costs in the USA mostly. I said i never go there, but Thailand comes under the worldwide, so had to have it. If it was just Europe would have been cheaper. 

Anyways, gave me a 10% discount, but still lumpy as f**k.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

It's mental how much Travel Insurance has went up from last year.

I get a annual worldwide family one, it had went up near 40%. 

I complained and they said it was costs in the USA mostly. I said i never go there, but Thailand comes under the worldwide, so had to have it. If it was just Europe would have been cheaper. 

Anyways, gave me a 10% discount, but still lumpy as f**k.

You don't need to include USA on a Worldwide policy, much cheaper without that. As per the info below:

There are two categories of worldwide insurance: policies which exclude the USA, Canada and the Caribbean, and those which include those countries.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

10 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

You don't need to include USA on a Worldwide policy, much cheaper without that. As per the info below:

There are two categories of worldwide insurance: policies which exclude the USA, Canada and the Caribbean, and those which include those countries.

I agree, I have one that covers my European trips and Canada and one that covers me for everywhere except Canada and the US for my Asia travels. 

It depends who you're with, i'm with Staysure who i have personal experience of them paying out when i needed them, so i stay with them.

They class Thailand as in the same category as the US in their Worldwide. So to be covered for Thailand in their worldwide, i had to have the U.S. as well. I could probably get it a bit cheaper elsewhere with one that includes Thailand but not the U.S. etc, but as said, i'd rather stay with what i know and know will help me if needed.

Generally speaking, there are two types of worldwide travel insurance:

• Policies that include cover for travel to the USA, Canada and the Caribbean.
  • Policies that exclude travel to the USA, Canada and the Caribbean.

As with European policies, always check the geographical cover of a worldwide policy as some insurers might have different exclusions. As an example, under its “Region 3” worldwide travel insurance, the provider Staysure excludes travel to: Bermuda; Canada; the islands of the Caribbean; China; Hong Kong; Mexico; Thailand; and the USA.

4 minutes ago, Krapow said:

It depends who you're with, i'm with Staysure who i have personal experience of them paying out when i needed them, so i stay with them.

They class Thailand as in the same category as the US in their Worldwide. So to be covered for Thailand in their worldwide, i had to have the U.S. as well. I could probably get it a bit cheaper elsewhere with one that includes Thailand but not the U.S. etc, but as said, i'd rather stay with what i know and know will help me if needed.

Generally speaking, there are two types of worldwide travel insurance:

• Policies that include cover for travel to the USA, Canada and the Caribbean.
  • Policies that exclude travel to the USA, Canada and the Caribbean.

As with European policies, always check the geographical cover of a worldwide policy as some insurers might have different exclusions. As an example, under its “Region 3” worldwide travel insurance, the provider Staysure excludes travel to: Bermuda; Canada; the islands of the Caribbean; China; Hong Kong; Mexico; Thailand; and the USA.

I usually do single trip policies as I haven't traveled overseas as regularly as I once did but most of those where I have looked at Worldwide don't add Thailand in with the USA. Maybe Thailand is getting a reputation for high insurance cover needs and may slip into other worldwide policies in the future.

• 9 months later...

My health insurance in singapore is a reasonable cost, NTUC (national trade union congress). They cover for overseas trips. I thought every country that generally has health insurance would be easy for coverage. But for the UK with the NHS and other national health providers that would be where special travel health insurance would be needed. 

No... That is what the guy is saying in the vid. And this is where people need to be especially careful.

If you live over here full time and want to get treated (say for cancer) over here, you need a separate private health insurance policy, acceptable to the system over here. Travel insurance won't cut it unless you can show a required amount of residency. 

16 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

No... That is what the guy is saying in the vid. And this is where people need to be especially careful.

If you live over here full time and want to get treated (say for cancer) over here, you need a separate private health insurance policy, acceptable to the system over here. Travel insurance won't cut it unless you can show a required amount of residency. 

Yes agreed, if we move to be based in Thailand we need a local health insurance policy. Better to sign up before 65 year of age and have a policy which allows continuous coversge.

1 minute ago, Zambo said:

Yes agreed, if we move to be based in Thailand we need a local health insurance policy. Better to sign up before 65 year of age and have a policy which allows continuous coversge.

Yes, the before 65 is very important.

• Thumbs Up 1