Good bye EVA

Siam Addict

On 7/14/2023 at 2:05 AM, Derek Dangleberries said:

If anybody needs yet another reason not to fly EVA, I have just received an email from Heathrow to say that from next month LHR will be inside the ULEZ so it'll be even more expensive if my sons want to drop me off there ...LGW here I come !!!

I might even consider Bristol .. Has anybody tried it to Thailand ???

Yes, flew from bristol with klm and China air / air China ( so memorable I can’t remember which) some 15 years ago. Bags were delayed by 24hrs on both legs, no compensation so never even considered flying again - timings were tight between changing planes hence bags didn’t get through on time 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

Don't forget there is a £5 fee to just drop off at both Heathrow and Gatwick airports.
That is why I now take the bus to and from the airport.

There's one airport where it's £7....

Stansted

Edited by coxyhog
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

Yes, flew from bristol with klm and China air / air China ( so memorable I can’t remember which) some 15 years ago. Bags were delayed by 24hrs on both legs, no compensation so never even considered flying again - timings were tight between changing planes hence bags didn’t get through on time 

Probably China Airlines, but they don't stop in Bangkok anymore, transfer in Tai Pei.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:45 PM, mrcharliemofo said:

S

In the last 2 years I've used Singapore, Qatar, Eva and Saudia and the cheapest and by far the best was Saudia by a country mile.

Like you though I'm paying extra next time and using Emirates again as for me they have always been better than the rest. 

I am surprised that you found Emirates better than Singapore Airlines (SQ). But I agree that it all depends on your personal experiences. I have been a big fan of SQ, but when I flew with them last year in economy, it was very disappointing. The service levels have definitely dropped (like no hot towels, mid flight snacks etc).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rajs123 said:

I am surprised that you found Emirates better than Singapore Airlines (SQ). But I agree that it all depends on your personal experiences. I have been a big fan of SQ, but when I flew with them last year in economy, it was very disappointing. The service levels have definitely dropped (like no hot towels, mid flight snacks etc).

My main problem with Singapore was the flight times. I think it's something like 13 hours to Singapore from Heathrow and then 2 hours to Bangkok but looking at maps its seems they fly past Bangkok to get to Singapore ? Plus when I wanted to change my return flight home when I was in Pattaya they wanted £700 - £800 and that wasn't going to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Can anyone tell me why EVA flights always take off late from LHR, sometimes more than an hour late? .

Talking specifically about BR68 to BKK  

BR67 BKK - LHR for 23/29 December. Usually late in so late out. Seems the flights out of Taipei to BKK are also late.

Scheduled      Actual Arrival

Arrival

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Can anyone tell me why EVA flights always take off late from LHR, sometimes more than an hour late? .

4 minutes ago, bob lt said:

BR67 BKK - LHR for 23/29 December. Usually late in so late out. Seems the flights out of Taipei to BKK are also late.

Scheduled      Actual Arrival

Arrival

image.png

Yea, think it's mostly late arrivals.

No idea why but, before Covid they were fine. Now they're nearly always late. Sometimes that late they take off without luggage ffs.

I've got so pissed off with them and late take offs, seeing Thai leave ages ago on the board, that i've booked Thai for my Easter trip.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

It has a trend to it. Very often it's due to hold ups in BKK. as Taipei is an EVA hub, most flights leave on time, or maybe slightly late but BKK is an International Major Hub so has more pressure to meet connection times and departure times, and as such, non Hub airlines will take the hit over THAI Aircraft.

There's also not much chance to make up time coming from East to West as opposed to the other way for some reason (Airstreams perhaps)?.

Late inbounds then add pressure to Ground Staff at LHR to turn the Aircraft around ready for departure. Normally the only missed luggage is from inbound pre checked stuff, so if you're coming in from the UK on an internal flight, transfer and transit to the EVA flight out of LHR then your luggage might miss, but any checked in bags at LHR will make the flight as they're loaded along with the food and other stuff. It sucks big time, and is small comfort however.

If you look at landing times into BKK from LHR  flights then they're not a million miles out. Allowing for DST as well. Also look at the flight duration rather than times, very often there's not much more than 30 min to 60 min in it, which over a 12 /13 hour flight, given headwinds / routing and variables etc is a pretty decent average.

• Great Info 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 8:16 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Not just Eva,

My last flight from Heathrow was with Eithad and we were loaded and ready to go on time but ended up sitting at the gate for over an hour.

• Sad 1

Last year Eva business class was at least £4k for travel from Heathrow in December, I just looked online and I can get Eva business class for December 2024 for £2,747. This is with Kakak and I have not shopped around so maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Cheapest with a stop over £2,392 with Turkish Air. Which is nearly £400 more than Eithad was last year.

Definately tempted even though it is over 10 months away.

11 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

Last year Eva business class was at least £4k for travel from Heathrow in December, I just looked online and I can get Eva business class for December 2024 for £2,747. This is with Kakak and I have not shopped around so maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Cheapest with a stop over £2,392 with Turkish Air. Which is nearly £400 more than Eithad was last year.

Definately tempted even though it is over 10 months away.

Worth checking which planes Turkish are using ... the older ones still have the 2-3-2 configuration in Business ... which to me isn't worth the money .. the newer aircraft have 1-2-1 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Great Info 1

same for me. was a huge bus eva fan, and BA too.  BA doesnt fy here any more, and I have a shed load of avios, and eva prices are silly.  flying next week to UK.. one stop.. adding just about 2 hrs to the non stop time.. will report on it later but will be interesting and at 78K baht.. affordable

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

same for me. was a huge bus eva fan, and BA too.  BA doesnt fy here any more, and I have a shed load of avios, and eva prices are silly.  flying next week to UK.. one stop.. adding just about 2 hrs to the non stop time.. will report on it later but will be interesting and at 78K baht.. affordable

Finnair?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

You can use Avios on Qatar , just set up an frequent flyer account with them and you can transfer Avios between the two 

• Great Info 1

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

You can use Avios on Qatar , just set up an frequent flyer account with them and you can transfer Avios between the two 

tried that, then got a massive price from quatar.  any way now booked on el cheapo with plenty of curry..  will post the results :)...got a result onthe cr rental.  told them it was too dear, they came back 80 quid cheaper