"Meeting" your childhood heroes.

Butch

Although not necessarily a person, it can be a "thing".

My examples are both vehicles and also a "thing" - let me explain.

When I was 14 years old, the Yamaha Motorcycle corporation released an updated and improved version of the RD350LC, named the RD350LC YPVS (Acronym for Yamaha Power Valve system) in F1 guise (might have been F2 - not really sure), which was a fully faired, red / white painted and blue pinstriped 2 stroke lightweight bike, with improved handling characteristics. I can remember looking at them in the local M/C shop, and drooling over the sales pamphlets every night, one day promising myself I'd have one. At 16 I took a job at Sainsburys to try and save the money, but never could get enough, so I ended up buying the lesser (and cheaper as no one wanted them) RD350LC - the predecessor.

Fast forward 2003 and I finally got my hands on one, which turned out to be a massive disappointment. It was every bit as crap as I'd not hoped. Slow, unreliable with a temperamental power delivery, I actually swapped it for a car.

My second childhood hero was different, a 2.8 injection Capri (4 speed). My mate lent me his for the weekend and I didn't want to give it back, I offered him twice the value in cash and he still wouldn't let it go. It was everything I'd always dreamed about and more, fairly fast, comfortable to cruise in, a lovely sound from the V6 cologne engine and Janspeed exhaust, cracking gearbox and impressive styling. Despite promising myself one, I never got around to actually getting one, and even when the final editions came out, I was too tight to buy one.

Lastly, champagne. I'd always dreamed of being a "swell" and drinking Crystal Champagne. Well, I tried it and to be honest, it tasted great, but not £600 a bottle great (I wasn't paying, as I just can't justify spending that much on a drink).

Maybe maturity and experiencing other things have dulled any potential expectations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Butch said:

Lastly, champagne. I'd always dreamed of being a "swell" and drinking Crystal Champagne. Well, I tried it and to be honest, it tasted great, but not £600 a bottle great (I wasn't paying, as I just can't justify spending that much on a drink).

Maybe maturity and experiencing other things have dulled any potential expectations.

I've had Cristal on a couple of occasions , but didn't think it was that special... much prefer LP or Dom Perignon  ....or even better at £14 a bottle Taltarni ( an Aussie sparkling wine ) 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Think I must be a pleb, any champagne or similar tastes better with a splash of orange juice in it to me 🤣

ha ha no pleb mate.

It's a bit like lager, some of us lads hate the taste of Carling or Heineken but others, like BM @Nightcrawler enjoy the taste of Special Brew or Tennants Super when he's sleeping in shop doorways.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Butch said:

Although not necessarily a person, it can be a "thing".

My examples are both vehicles and also a "thing" - let me explain.

When I was 14 years old, the Yamaha Motorcycle corporation released an updated and improved version of the RD350LC, named the RD350LC YPVS (Acronym for Yamaha Power Valve system) in F1 guise (might have been F2 - not really sure), which was a fully faired, red / white painted and blue pinstriped 2 stroke lightweight bike, with improved handling characteristics. I can remember looking at them in the local M/C shop, and drooling over the sales pamphlets every night, one day promising myself I'd have one. At 16 I took a job at Sainsburys to try and save the money, but never could get enough, so I ended up buying the lesser (and cheaper as no one wanted them) RD350LC - the predecessor.

Fast forward 2003 and I finally got my hands on one, which turned out to be a massive disappointment. It was every bit as crap as I'd not hoped. Slow, unreliable with a temperamental power delivery, I actually swapped it for a car.

My second childhood hero was different, a 2.8 injection Capri (4 speed). My mate lent me his for the weekend and I didn't want to give it back, I offered him twice the value in cash and he still wouldn't let it go. It was everything I'd always dreamed about and more, fairly fast, comfortable to cruise in, a lovely sound from the V6 cologne engine and Janspeed exhaust, cracking gearbox and impressive styling. Despite promising myself one, I never got around to actually getting one, and even when the final editions came out, I was too tight to buy one.

I understand that it was Liberace, another  of your childhood heroes and role model, who plyed you with expensive Champagne in his lavish hotel room after meeting and asking  him for his autograph.   😚

• Haha 3

My boyhood hero comes to mind occasionally but i haven't seen him in half a lifetime - indeed more than that.

When i was a 12 year old a boy a couple of years older decided that i should fight his 12 year old brother. A large gang marched us down to an area at a seawall and formed a circle.

After about 10mins the elder brother declared a draw and we started the walk back to school. At the back was a group of 50 shouting, cocky kids. At the front was me and one 13 year old boy by my side. He absolutely couldn't give a f**k about the morons.