‘Can you eat spicy like Thai People?’

Sangsom

I’m sure all of you that have spent a decent amount of time in Thailand have had this question a few times at one point or another.

I can eat fairly spicy food and never really have a problem with the spice level for the most part. Even when eating with Thais when they take care of most of the food ordering for a meal.

The few times I’ve had my head blown off with spiciness is following this question, I’m convinced when you say yes to this question they see it almost as a challenge and think ‘we’ll sort this farang out’ and up it beyond normal levels to prove a point.

What do you reckon? Am I imagining it? 🌶🌶🌶

Thinking I might need to adjust my answer next time I get this question 🤣🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I can eat spicier than a Bangkokian but not as spicy as an Isaanian

I’ve eaten plenty with the latter half when they have ordered and never had my head blown off. That said last trip, one dish up in Bua Lam Phu (sort of half way between Khon Kaen and route up to Chiang Khan ish) got the red card from the Thai/issan group for being too spicy and got sent back 🤣🤣🤣, I didn’t even try it because of the pla ra which is a big fk off for me 🤢

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, in fact i get annoyed if it's not spicy enough.

I get the missus to say to them, 'make like for a Thai' when ordering my food. Though that's mostly in the UK, as they make it more mild due to most UK folk not liking or being able to handle it pet mak. So they have to adjust to suit their market. 

Though i get what you say, like a challenge to some of them. I love it spicy, like top lip sweating spicy. But sometimes it's been made i think on purpose mega spicy and it's not nice, i can't taste what i'm eating, just mega spice. But that's only happened a couple of times, when even the wife agreed they had made it too hot, probably on purpose, both times in Thailand.  

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I get the missus to say to them, 'make like for a Thai' when ordering my food. Though that's mostly in the UK, as they make it more mild due to most UK folk not liking or being able to handle it pet mak. So they have to adjust to suit their market. 

Though i get what you say, like a challenge to some of them. I love it spicy, like top lip sweating spicy. But sometimes it's been made i think on purpose mega spicy and it's not nice, i can't taste what i'm eating, just mega spice. But that's only happened a couple of times, when even the wife agreed they had made it too hot, probably on purpose, both times in Thailand.  

You are absolutely bang on there. 

I've eaten some seriously hot and spicy stuff in Thailand and enjoyed it. 2 meals spring to my mind where I'm sure I've been tested by the Thais. First was my mum in laws red curry... Fucking napalm on a plate and I was leaking fluid from my eyes, nose, ears and arse. 

Secondly, just last week, a Krapow moo which I ordered pet pet.... Almost finished it but by christ that was hot. Sure I was tested there also. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the UK I always say "pet same same Thai" & sometimes ask for some extra chili if it's not hot enough.

I spend a bit of time in Korat & only ever have a problem with the food there when I don't like the taste,I can handle the heat.My inlaws in the house opposite ours used to sell food to the kids from the nearby school so I always had krapow on tap.Unfortunately they've retired.

Most of the Thai stuff the missus cooks for me in the UK is pet mak & I love it,even her spag bol sauce is usually red hot & the ruby sauce I make always has a load of Thai chili added to it.She also makes tarka dhal & that's sometimes hotter than my jalfrezi sauce.

• Thumbs Up 3

I envy you guys.  15 yrs here and I thought I would slowly progress to the hottst of hot.  as it is still, i can eat curry, but naam prik chilli of any kind gives me instant heartburn.  so opposite of you real me.. I order Mai Pet and live with the looks I get 🙂

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

For sure in the Uk, a lot piss weak tasting stuff, that’s standard. Pretty much thinking of when in the motherland. 🤗

Edited by Sangsom

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

You are absolutely bang on there. 

I've eaten some seriously hot and spicy stuff in Thailand and enjoyed it. 2 meals spring to my mind where I'm sure I've been tested by the Thais. First was my mum in laws red curry... Fucking napalm on a plate and I was leaking fluid from my eyes, nose, ears and arse. 

Secondly, just last week, a Krapow moo which I ordered pet pet.... Almost finished it but by christ that was hot. Sure I was tested there also. 

I’ve never not finished anything, I just pad it out with rice to dissipate the heat. Just sometimes felt like they were taking the piss with something even they wouldn’t eat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

I envy you guys.  15 yrs here and I thought I would slowly progress to the hottst of hot.  as it is still, i can eat curry, but naam prik chilli of any kind gives me instant heartburn.  so opposite of you real me.. I order Mai Pet and live with the looks I get 🙂

I get the worst heart burn ever even without any thing spicy. Get some meds in! Not missing out on good food because of that 🤗

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

I’ve never not finished anything, I just pad it out with rice to dissipate the heat. Just sometimes felt like they were taking the piss with something even they wouldn’t eat.

Padding out with boiled rice doesn't work for me.. Not like a pint of milk would but getting a pint of milk ain't easy. 

Still. I'm happy to go through the pain again next trip. 

On a side note, comparing thai food with Indian food is interesting. I'm a big vindaloo fan, never tried a phal curry but for heat, Thai taking the piss with farang wins hands down for pain lol! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

I've had a hiatus hernia since as far back as i can remember, though didn't know for years that was what it was. Just used to get bad heartburn triggered by loads of things. Had the scope down the gullet, diagnosed, various different medications. But then about 7 or 8 years ago, nothing seemed to work, anything spicy was mad heartburn, wakening me up and everything, no matter double doses of omeprazole or whatever. GP said you may just cut out the spicy food.

I said are you having a laugh? Crack or heroin, no problem, can stop that, but spicy curries and krapow, get behind me Satan, life wouldn't be worth living ffs. 

Tortured the GP till he put me forward to a Consultant for an Operation to 'repair' the hernia, basically tie it up tight, so the heartburn couldn't get through the hole. 

Had the Op, keyhole, about 6 different incisions, full anaesthetic. Consultant said it'll loosen about 10% every 10 years, says to me how long do you think you've got left, you may have to cut out the spice in your 80's lol. I said i'll take my chances Sancho, crack on there.

Great success, pet mak all the way :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sangsom said:

I didn’t even try it because of the pla ra which is a big fk off for me

Well said and could perhaps start a new topic ...

I hate the smell and taste of pra ra .....BUT would never eat a somtam without it .... A good street somtam seller will let you take a sip as she is doing it.

Imagine taking a spoonful of salt and vinegar then saying that you don't want it on your fish and chips !!!

• Like 1

I agree with several BMs here. In a UK restaurant i like to remind them it should be "normally" spicy like Thailand, not bland UK style. In Thailand should be the same as most Thais would eat (but no need to turn it into a chili eating challenge event)

On the subject of Johnny Cash

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never been blown away by Thai food spice levels.  When asked I just say muean kon Thai.

On the other hand I had a Mexican dish made with habaneros and Cajun dish made with Carolina reapers that made me question my decision making skills.

Yes I like spicy everyday,on a side note last night we had tempura salad and sushi ,I ate my gfs wasabi,as she can't handle it,that's a different kind of hot that feels like a volcano bursting through yer nose and eyes strange cos she eats that fermented shit mentioned above,disgusting.

Edited by Phantom51red
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

,I ate my gfs wasabi,as she can't handle it,that's a different kind of hot that feels like a volcano bursting through yer nose and eyes

Some places sell tubes of wasabi that is no stronger than Gentleman's Relish but in other's it is the real thing.... Zen in Centrun has very strong Wasabi but the food court is no stronger than a trebor mint ...

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Some places sell tubes of wasabi that is no stronger than Gentleman's Relish but in other's it is the real thing.... Zen in Centrun has very strong Wasabi but the food court is no stronger than a trebor mint ...

The wasabi you scoop out of the bowl at Shabuzhi is also very strong.  My Mrs doesn't like it, but I love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

In my late 20's I was into phal in the ruby houses in the UK but now the hottest I do is jalfrezi.I didn't get into Thai food until after I got married,which was after 10 years of visiting Thailand.

I too have an hiatal hernia which I felt let rip in the gym some years ago but the only thing which gives me acid reflux seems to be Indian food in Indian restaurants,the jalfrezi I cook is usually hotter but I don't get a bad reaction.Neither do I from hot Thai food.I take 20mg of Omeprazole every day & if I do go out for a ruby have another before bed.