If Ever

Glasseye

19 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

i'll probably make it to 104. I want to suck every dime I possibly can out ot the State of Illinios.

But, if I die tomorrow, it's been great knowing some of you.

That's a bit extreme, just because we are meeting up tomorrow , I promise I'll be gentle .. 555

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:42 AM, Glasseye said:

i'll probably make it to 104. I want to suck every dime I possibly can out ot the State of Illinios.

But, if I die tomorrow, it's been great knowing some of you.

104 is a great target. Earlier this year i raised my planning from 80 to 100, to be honest I'm not sure what to do with all the extra time. 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:09 PM, Zambo said:

104 is a great target. Earlier this year i raised my planning from 80 to 100, to be honest I'm not sure what to do with all the extra time. 

I disagree.

My goal is not to be the oldest man in the nursing home.

20 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

I disagree.

My goal is not to be the oldest man in the nursing home.

I do agree with your point. But i think we are looking forward to an age with better health lifestyles and healthcare. My father lived very well until an accident at 85. I feel an additional 10 to 15 years on that generation may be normal. But we can't know yet. 

16 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I do agree with your point. But i think we are looking forward to an age with better health lifestyles and healthcare. My father lived very well until an accident at 85. I feel an additional 10 to 15 years on that generation may be normal. But we can't know yet. 

Nobody knows that. My sister who is 3 years older just died.

Nobody in the family thought she would be the first.

2 hours ago, biggles said:

It's not how many years you live, it's the quality of those years that matters most. I have friends many years younger than me who are not enjoying those years. 

Bummer for them.

I've hit some rough spots, and there will be more somewhere down the road. But, for now, time is golden.  

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, biggles said:

It's not how many years you live, it's the quality of those years that matters most. I have friends many years younger than me who are not enjoying those years. 

What's the main problem? Health, money or simply no enjoyment of life? It must be terrible to be stuck not enjoying life as the years pass by.

One friend is 85, has 1million+ dollars in his investment account plus a unit worth @600k. He retired to Pattaya, went back for a visit, git stuck with covid bans. Had a stroke just as they were lifted, lost 10%+ of his memory capacity.

Stuck in OZ, sons don't care to visit, knows no one, lost confidence and scared to go out. A boring existence unfortunately so health and enjoyment for him. 

Another has no money, 78 now. On a pension with subsided housing so can't move or have anyone share. Also alone and bored, health pretty good but boredom and poverty for him. 

I remember reading an article that said 'do XYZ and live five years longer' but sometimes the extra 5 are not so pleasurable! 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, biggles said:

One friend is 85, has 1million+ dollars in his investment account plus a unit worth @600k. He retired to Pattaya, went back for a visit, git stuck with covid bans. Had a stroke just as they were lifted, lost 10%+ of his memory capacity.

Stuck in OZ, sons don't care to visit, knows no one, lost confidence and scared to go out. A boring existence unfortunately so health and enjoyment for him. 

Another has no money, 78 now. On a pension with subsided housing so can't move or have anyone share. Also alone and bored, health pretty good but boredom and poverty for him. 

I remember reading an article that said 'do XYZ and live five years longer' but sometimes the extra 5 are not so pleasurable! 

These are good examples. The enjoyment of life is the reason why any of us would want to live longer. 

100 is just a number, but i think for our generation(s) it is not unrealistic. The reason for even putting a number to it isn't to make it a goal, but to help make a realistic plan.

Case 1 - he is very unfortunate, he has wealth, but not health. Only he can decide if there is anything he can do to bring enjoyment back. Good luck to him.

Case 2 - in this case could he have worked longer, planned better? Found enjoyment in his simpler life? We don't know and frankly none of our business.

As we travel through life we have to make many decisions based on the best info we have. When will the kids leave home? What age to retire? Any assumptions and simple back of an envelope calculations including longevity will be affected by events beyond our control.

Fortunately there are many cases of people happily and productively living into their 90's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

These are good examples. The enjoyment of life is the reason why any of us would want to live longer. 

100 is just a number, but i think for our generation(s) it is not unrealistic. The reason for even putting a number to it isn't to make it a goal, but to help make a realistic plan.

Case 1 - he is very unfortunate, he has wealth, but not health. Only he can decide if there is anything he can do to bring enjoyment back. Good luck to him.

Case 2 - in this case could he have worked longer, planned better? Found enjoyment in his simpler life? We don't know and frankly none of our business.

As we travel through life we have to make many decisions based on the best info we have. When will the kids leave home? What age to retire? Any assumptions and simple back of an envelope calculations including longevity will be affected by events beyond our control.

Fortunately there are many cases of people happily and productively living into their 90's.

Excellent post Zambo. My aunt was happy as a clam until covid got her at 98. I think she would still be going if not.

Her will, ability to overcome difficulties (living through the great depression and such), and her awesome wit/sense of humor I think benefited her as much as anything else.

16 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Excellent post Zambo. My aunt was happy as a clam until covid got her at 98. I think she would still be going if not.

Her will, ability to overcome difficulties (living through the great depression and such), and her awesome wit/sense of humor I think benefited her as much as anything else.

Thank you Glasseye, very uplifting. I do agree keeping in a good humor  (kind of difficult at times) is a winner.

3 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Thank you Glasseye, very uplifting. I do agree keeping in a good humor  (kind of difficult at times) is a winner.

Her and I shared in many similarities. But our weird (I guess you could call it dark) humor was very unique. We would laugh or at least chuckle at almost everything. We were discrete, usually.....ha. But, sometimes we would get some funny looks. We didn't care though, that was the beauty of it.

I was a bit more reasonable than her most times. But sometimes she would say things that would shock even me. I rarely would tell her to cool it, because she was always spot on (and it could be enormously funny), but every once in a while I would have to put a clamp on her.

Just writing this reminds me how fortunate I am to have had her in my life.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:05 PM, Zambo said:

Anyone seen Henry Kissinger recently on TV? He was born in 1923 and is a generation older than any poster here. His lifespan and mental clarity proves that our generation(s) can achieve 100 in good mental shape.

He may have what some call mental clarity. But, he should have been aborted when he was a fetus.

Strength training, cardio, sensible diet, cash, boner pills, and young naked Thai women create the fountain of youth. I also enjoy the viewing the micro thonged Wong Amat Beach babes. In fact, one had on a thong that only covered her pussy lips.😁

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Cleator said:

Strength training, cardio, sensible diet, cash, boner pills, and young naked Thai women create the fountain of youth. I also enjoy the viewing the micro thonged Wong Amat Beach babes. In fact, one had on a thong that only covered her pussy lips.😁

What happened to decency in Thai society?

• Haha 1