Tyre / Tire Brands - do you use premium, mid range or budget?

Butch

Given the huge amount of choice in the budget range of tyres (I'll stick to the UK spelling if that's ok) nowadays,have any BM's abandoned their normal choice and opted for a cheaper brand from China?. Or have you decided that there's no point paying for a Pirelli when a Hankook or Avon will do?.

There are some truly horrific and poor quality brands out there these days (Linglong, Acellera, Maxxis to name but a few) which are often 1/4 the price of the Premium equivalent.

Personally, I've always stuck to mid range or premium brands if there's a deal on. Our cars in the UK currently run Pirelli's on the wifes, GoodYear on my daily car and Bridgestone on my Classic. Our Fortuner in the Philippines runs Bridgestones as well.

Over the years I've used several brands, but find that Good Year offer a decent tyre at a good price point. I've tried Pirelli on our old mazda but they cracked , so replaced with Uniroyal, which is a good mid range tyre. I'll stick to a  mid range, even if the car is just used around town. I can't bring myself to use a budget branded tyre , probably, in part, due to brand snobbery on my account.

I've noticed that dealers these days offer cars with "4 brand new tyres", and when you look, they're the cheapest crappiest option they could have got their hands on (which is understandable from a financial perspective). When a set of 4 tyres for the same car can cost between £250 for budget up to £800 for premium, that's quite a big price difference.

My personal premium choice would be Michelin , mid range would be Hankook or Bridgestone , high end "budget" maybe Kumho, Toyo or Semperit.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

• Butch changed the title to Tyre / Tire Brands - do you use premium, mid range or budget?

Tires on new cars generally are called mileage saver and have less weight for better gas milage (also less tread).  Expect to get about 50k kilometers or less on them.  They are cheaper for the car company.  If you want quiet tires then name brand are generally going to be better.  I get Michelin (130k km) for my nice car because if I break it down the cost of mounting/balancing and road hazard adds to the cost and I would have to pay those fees twice with cheap tires on a car I drive quite a bit and they ride nice.  I have another car I don't drive much and on those I buy the cheap tires with a 65k kilometer tread life and they have been great just a bit louder.  I have heard that cheaper tires use less natural rubber and that is what can make them louder.  I have heard of people when buying a new car negotiating to get better tires to close the deal.

Larry - It's been a while since you bought a car tire as I just bought one on sale at Walmart for $53 and it was their cheapest size tire.  With mounting, balancing and tax it was $77 usd.  The brand is "Douglas Tire" and they've been great so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My previous two cars were both low mileage one owner MB's when I got them & I always stuck with the make that was on them when I acquired them.First car was a CLK320CDI Sport which I had for 5 years & the second an E500 Sport which I had for 12,both of which I did some serious miles in(including 155mph on the A bahn with a front that had a plug repair) & never had any problems.Now I have an Audi I'll probably do the same.

Always use Blackcircles here in the UK.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/10/2023 at 4:53 PM, coxyhog said:

My previous two cars were both low mileage one owner MB's when I got them & I always stuck with the make that was on them when I acquired them.First car was a CLK320CDI Sport which I had for 5 years & the second an E500 Sport which I had for 12,both of which I did some serious miles in(including 155mph on the A bahn with a front that had a plug repair) & never had any problems.Now I have an Audi I'll probably do the same.

Always use Blackcircles here in the UK.

Yep, blackcircles or Camskill are my "go to" for tyres. both very competitive and offer local fitting at a time to suit me.