Stuff That Makes Life In Thailand Easier/Resolves A Problem

forcebwithu

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Oops, forgot this one - isn't it lovely when you get into a baht bus that has the windows in the front overhang so you can see where you are going and where you need to get off, instead of hanging your head out the side like a bloody dog?

rsz_img_2414.jpg

All good until they put up an advertising sign and block the view. They did that on one the baht buses we hire every week and it wasn't the view we lost, but extra storage space for the bags we carry.

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

This has more to do with hotels/guesthouses/condos than actually living in Thailand, although it may apply to your longer term rentals as well. My main complaint with any accommodation is poor lighting - I am a big reader and love to prop myself up in bed and read when I can't sleep or in the morning when I awake, and I have a real hard time with the poor or non-existent lighting around the bed areas in most venues. A few  years ago I went up to Home Pro in the Big C on Pattaya Klang and bought a proper adjustable desk lamp and have been dragging it from place to place ever since.

Today I moved from View Talay 6, where once again I needed this light, to a longer term rental in Jomtien; while I was waiting for my Grab ride outside of VT6 and fussing with my bags, I put my folded light down on the concrete retaining wall, thinking at the time that I hoped I didn't forget it there - well, guess what - the taxi came so quickly that I totally forgot to pick up my light. I dumped my stuff and got organized in Jomtien and then got the baht bus back downtown to meet up with the lads at Hemingway's, and figured I'd just go check and see if the light was still there, or if some kind soul had handed it in to security; well, lo and behold, up to the landing I walk and there is my light sitting exactly where I had left it, almost two hours later - will wonders never cease!!

Here it is folded up beside the basically useless bedside light I found in the new condo:

rsz_img_2415.jpg

And here it is unfolded and ready to light up my reading for me:

rsz_img_2416.jpg

If you ever really do lose your light, I've found a rechargeable LED light to be much easier to pack. Plus you don't have to go hunting for an outlet next to the bed to plug it in.

image.png

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I recently picked up an Xreal Air 2 with Beam attachment.  Expensive, but it projects a private a wide screen TV wherever I go in the form of oversized sunglasses and an iPod sized device.  Very wide, 330 inch is possible, though I find 105 inch more than enough.   

I wanted it for long trips as a passenger on ground or air transport.  Download some entertainment, run games, or stream if you're on ground transport, and you're in your own little theater. 

I find my self using it at home daily as well.  Much larger and clearer than our flat screen TVs, and doesn't disturb TW if she wants to sleep before me, unless I'm watching something that makes me laugh.

It's pretty anti-social.  You're the only one who can see or hear what you playing, though I've let wife and daughter check it out so they understand what I'm doing when I'm using it.  I tend to leave it upstairs during the day when we're doing stuff together. 

Also when I'm using it at night I face the bedroom door and it can be disorienting when someone walks in through your TV.

• Great Info 1

On 1/15/2024 at 3:55 PM, Lemondropkid said:

I've downloaded a copy, according to the author it was first available in Pattaya in 2001.

Am skim reading it as much of it so Pattaya specific( travel from the airport, the baht bus!) . What makes it are the generic parts that are still true and the author whose very amusing.

More wisdom across circa 200 pages than entire vlog sphere combined!

Cartoons are "what it's all about."  But, you already know this mate !

Cheers !     👍

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

If you ever really do lose your light, I've found a rechargeable LED light to be much easier to pack. Plus you don't have to go hunting for an outlet next to the bed to plug it in.

image.png

Actually, I used to buy cheap folding rechargeable lights from the street vendors when I first ran across this problem but they never seemed to last that long so I finally went to the plug-in option - I leave it with a friend here when I go home or elsewhere so don't have to pack it in my luggage; I'll definitely look into this option for regional travel, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:28 AM, maipenrai said:

Actually, I used to buy cheap folding rechargeable lights from the street vendors when I first ran across this problem but they never seemed to last that long so I finally went to the plug-in option - I leave it with a friend here when I go home or elsewhere so don't have to pack it in my luggage; I'll definitely look into this option for regional travel, though. 

Great idea. Mr. DIY might have something like that.

• 2 months later...
For those that have a need for ice packs to keep things cold, here's something I just bought that works great, and for only about 1B/pack (link).

I'm not sure how much the gel crystals in each pack improve on the coldness of the pack, but the pack itself is kind of an ingenious design. Once you fill it with water, the fill spout is self-sealing.

I bought the 400ml size which seems a good size for all around use.

It gets my images.png  seal of approval.
UbGBKtS8DC.png
  • Thumbs Up 2

For me when in the village it is a car. I bought one 13 years ago but Thai brother in law has totally f***d it. On a recent trip back wifey was told we could borrow a car whenever we needed one and had no need to rent one, it worked out like this:

where you want to go? Oh great I will come to, oh and my sister wants to come, she will be here soon. An hour later eight of us are now squeezed into the vehicle finally set to leave. 
we get in to town and our half hour grocery run takes two hours because everyone wants to go somewhere different. And then joy of joys we get to buy them all lunch. 4 hours gone
Never again! Last time we had a rental car for the whole trip and it worked like this:

”I’m going to Lotus”

get in car and drive to shop. 
Go into shop and buy what I want. 
drive home

45 minutes maximum. 
Oh yes , brother in law is hoping for a new car to appear. I will not paying for it 

Edited by Khun Ling
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3