Stuff That Makes Life In Thailand Easier/Resolves A Problem

forcebwithu

Thought these posts from another topic would be a good start for a new, catch all topic on stuff you've bought or used that makes life easier here and/or resolves a problem.

14 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Red ants hurt like f**k, especially the real tiny ones we get in Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Recently had the exterminators over (I call them the Terminators).

They come into your house, punch 3 or 4 holes in the floor in each room. Then pump two 55 gallons of water mixed with chemicals into the fcuking holes.

Unreal.

I made a couple of posts awhile back about the tiny ants that were fond of making nests in my computers and other electronic gear. Also they're a problem in the kitchen when any foodstuffs have been left out too long. Based on a recommendation on another board I bought the two products pictured below. Both have proven very effective at eliminating the ant problem around the house.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i577712854-s1067362695.html

image.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4557133900-s18558024373.htm
image.png

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Under the heading of making life easier; my lady cooks up hunks of pork and chicken that I then slice up for sandwiches. With a knife I always end up with some slices that either too thin or too thick. Solution, a deli style meat slicer for not much money. It also works quite well on frozen meat my lady cuts up for her Thai dishes.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4903130039-s20810428057.html
image.png

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Back in 96 I learnt that if a bottle of water has a plastic seal strip around the cap, strip it off before you put it in the fridge because it gets brittle and will snap. 

Nowadays I remember back to those early experiences and rip off the plastic strip on 3 ltre boxed Mont Clair wine taps before putting it in the fridge.

I also take it out of the box ..... but after one very bad experience I recommend not to slide it into the fridge or freezer if you have crabs in there... The sharp spikes will rip the bag open and it is impossible to rescue the wine...

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

I could make 2 very long lists of all the many things I have bought on Lazada and Shopee.....One of all the stuff that was fantastic and the other list of the things that turned out to be bombs.....

Ok here is one of the winners....This Rice Bran oil puts any olive oil to shame....Food cooks faster, better,cleaner, better taste and cheaper than olive oil.......Tops sometimes has this....

image.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-3-jaikao-rice-bran-oil-oryzanol-13500-ppm-1-i2893523053-s10570454985.html?spm=a2o4m.tm80167383.2074280300.1.10e1TibmTibmgy.10e1TibmTibmgy

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, fforest said:

I could make 2 very long lists of all the many things I have bought on Lazada and Shopee.....One of all the stuff that was fantastic and the other list of the things that turned out to be bombs.....

Ok here is one of the winners....This Rice Bran oil puts any olive oil to shame....Food cooks faster, better,cleaner, better taste and cheaper than olive oil.......Tops sometimes has this....

image.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/100-3-jaikao-rice-bran-oil-oryzanol-13500-ppm-1-i2893523053-s10570454985.html?spm=a2o4m.tm80167383.2074280300.1.10e1TibmTibmgy.10e1TibmTibmgy

Olive oil is not the best for cooking anyway. Rice oil is nice, but much more expensive than sunflower oil.

57 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Olive oil is not the best for cooking anyway. Rice oil is nice, but much more expensive than sunflower oil.

I like sunflower oil too....Sunflower oil would be my 2nd choice...

32 minutes ago, Painter said:

Ant poison, pack of 6, from Villa I think, 130ish baht. Took 4 or 5 days with their numbers getting less, but nothing now for 5 weeks or so

17048568183863771292910109606056.jpg

Mosquito coils, 16b from a certain DIY store.... mean I can sit out on my balcony after dark without being eaten alive. Work well.

17048569228297069407705351813899.jpg

Internet... yes their is communal WiFi, but it's slow, and "wired in" internet requires a 12 month contract.... I'm only here for 6.

Unlimited ais sim was something like 1800b for 6 months. It's not the fastest, but will run laptop, tablet and firestick at the same time with minimal issues. Pack it away when I leave, get it out when I return, new sim, and Robert's your brothers sister

17048570066042634333195388374033.jpg

From memory the unit was 1500b, but that was 2 years ago

I buy the unlimited AIS for a year every year for my phone...Its a great deal....Its not lighting fast but works good for me......

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Olive oil is a bad choice for high heat. That is because it has a relatively low smoke point. If one is doing a saute or light browning, Olive oil can be a very good choice, particularly in Italian and French recipes.

I have found a wide variety of tastes between the various moderately priced brands of olive oil that are sold. Back in the states I used California Ranch Olive Oil, but that is not available here in Thailand. Also I have read that the quality of this brand has suffered in part due to the costs associated with olive farming in CA. Here in Thailand I use Colavita Olive Oil. This brand can be difficult to find. I buy mine from Lazada, but frequently have orders cancelled due to availability from the seller. 

For high heat cooking I use Canola Oil. It has a very high smoke point and a completely neutral taste. I have heard very good things about both Sunflower and Peanut oils for high heat cooking. I don't use them as I do not want to sacrifice additional kitchen space for multiple oils. I do keep a small bottle of peanut oil on hand as I have a few recipes that call for it as an ingredient. 

• Great Info 2

27 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Olive oil is a bad choice for high heat. That is because it has a relatively low smoke point. If one is doing a saute or light browning, Olive oil can be a very good choice, particularly in Italian and French recipes.

I have found a wide variety of tastes between the various moderately priced brands of olive oil that are sold. Back in the states I used California Ranch Olive Oil, but that is not available here in Thailand. Also I have read that the quality of this brand has suffered in part due to the costs associated with olive farming in CA. Here in Thailand I use Colavita Olive Oil. This brand can be difficult to find. I buy mine from Lazada, but frequently have orders cancelled due to availability from the seller. 

For high heat cooking I use Canola Oil. It has a very high smoke point and a completely neutral taste. I have heard very good things about both Sunflower and Peanut oils for high heat cooking. I don't use them as I do not want to sacrifice additional kitchen space for multiple oils. I do keep a small bottle of peanut oil on hand as I have a few recipes that call for it as an ingredient. 

Canola is the way to go. It supposedly actually has health benefits.

16 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Thought these posts from another topic would be a good start for a new, catch all topic on stuff you've bought or used that makes life easier here and/or resolves a problem.

I made a couple of posts awhile back about the tiny ants that were fond of making nests in my computers and other electronic gear. Also they're a problem in the kitchen when any foodstuffs have been left out too long. Based on a recommendation on another board I bought the two products pictured below. Both have proven very effective at eliminating the ant problem around the house.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i577712854-s1067362695.html

image.png

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4557133900-s18558024373.htm
image.png

I've used those yellow anti ant things in the past. They work, but since I have been in the house (about one year now) rarely see any insects. Occassionally a fly or mozzie will sneak in. Everything else stays clear of this toxic waste dump.

I see gekkos maybe once a day. But they don't hang out much because there's nothing for them to eat. I like the little buggers, and always feel bad if I see a dead one.

I like being able to go to a pharmacy and get what you need without having to go or call in to a doctor. 

The service quality for health care is far and away superior at a fraction of the cost here. Big reason why I am here. 

My water bill is usually 100 baht a month, garbage 150. Wi-fi and phone cheap as chips.

Most importantly.....  Get good vibes from most people I interact with (shop keepers, clerks, service people, etc.). Even in the 7/11's I go to I get them smiling. There just seems to be an underlying wavelength of more positive. I have been here long enough to recognize that the positive vibe is more than me on a long honeymoon. It's something that is difficult to measure numerically, but certainly is significant.

In service related things (car or bike repair, cleaning, on and on) is a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 1

^^^
Your comment of mozzie's sneaking into the house reminded me of having the same problem due to Thai's unwillingness to close the damn door after they enter or leave the house. The solution was to place pneumatic door closers on each outside door. I'm surprised more homes don't have these.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/automatic-door-close-spring-door-closer-60kg-i1134490518-s20980705130.html
image.png

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^
Your comment of mozzie's sneaking into the house reminded me of having the same problem due to Thai's unwillingness to close the damn door after they enter or leave the house. The solution was to place pneumatic door closers on each outside door. I'm surprised more homes don't have these.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/automatic-door-close-spring-door-closer-60kg-i1134490518-s20980705130.html
image.png

Good move, depending on what kind of door(s) you have.

Doors here I have found can be the source of headaches. The humidity can cause shifting which leads to gaps, and even problems with securing.

They are not always "easy fixes". I had double bolt locks placed on mine when I moved in. Nobody gets in or out without me standing there with the key (this can be a positve, but also a negative). I am a big believer in always locking a door behind me. 

I've got these double (Thai or French style) doors, hate them, but came with the crib. 

-------------------

Mold here is an issue as well. I have a maintenace guy coming in to paint a bathroom ceiling already. Fcuking mold. I have reminded the landlord 3 different times for the painting guy to bring mold resistant paint. If the dude shows up without it I will tell him to take a hike and do it myself. 

59 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Canola is the way to go. It supposedly actually has health benefits.

There is a big controversy if Canola oil is healthy or not....

Google the subject...

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Good move, depending on what kind of door(s) you have.

Doors here I have found can be the source of headaches. The humidity can cause shifting which leads to gaps, and even problems with securing.

They are not always "easy fixes". I had double bolt locks placed on mine when I moved in. Nobody gets in or out without me standing there with the key (this can be a positve, but also a negative). I am a big believer in always locking a door behind me. 

I've got these double (Thai or French style) doors, hate them, but came with the crib. 

-------------------

Mold here is an issue as well. I have a maintenace guy coming in to paint a bathroom ceiling already. Fcuking mold. I have reminded the landlord 3 different times for the painting guy to bring mold resistant paint. If the dude shows up without it I will tell him to take a hike and do it myself. 

I have the double wooden outside doors, but screen doors as well.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, galenkia said:

Thing is he actually is an older version of you.

😂

7 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Brilliant :default_clapping:

Many's a true word...

The scourge of the breakfast buffets  

images.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I have the double wooden outside doors, but screen doors as well.

image.jpeg

Ahhh. You have an outer screen door.

For some reason in my place they put the screens on the inside. The metal rails are warped on one of them causing the screen to always fall off. I'm too arsed to fix them, not worth the trouble I figure. The only thing I'd be letting in would be humidity and other shit in the air anyway. 

Looks like you have some new hinges on that door.

8 hours ago, fforest said:

There is a big controversy if Canola oil is healthy or not....

Google the subject...

I did the Google search and got the following link.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/

What I got out of skimming this article is one should buy a brand that one has confidence in. I buy the Wesson Brand for my Canola Oil. I have been buying this brand for 15 years. Can be difficult to find at times in Thailand. VM may or may not have it stocked. I buy mine through Lazada. Not cheap, but I get what I want and also what I have confidence in. With regard to the cooking factor having confidence in a product is important to me.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I did the Google search and got the following link.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/

What I got out of skimming this article is one should buy a brand that one has confidence in. I buy the Wesson Brand for my Canola Oil. I have been buying this brand for 15 years. Can be difficult to find at times in Thailand. VM may or may not have it stocked. I buy mine through Lazada. Not cheap, but I get what I want and also what I have confidence in. With regard to the cooking factor having confidence in a product is important to me.

Cheers. 

I don't use much oil either way. But, your research and suggestion is appreciated.