A bit breezy at Heathrow at the moment...

fygjam

7 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I know a former member who is flying in at 5 pm from Barcelona, be interesting to hear if his flight lands ok.

If you have his email you could always send him the link so he can watch 2 hours of landings before it's his turn.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

If you have his email you could always send him the link so he can watch 2 hours of landings before it's his turn.

Unfortunately he was in the air when I saw this thread. He should be landing in about 15 mins.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

That's quite the crosswind. Wonder how close they are to max crosswind component for the various aircraft that are making the landings.

image.png

The problem with Heathrow is that they only have two runways, both 09-27.

Bangkok has similar problems, just in other directions:

VTBS: 01-19

VTBD: 03-21

29 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Unfortunately he was in the air when I saw this thread. He should be landing in about 15 mins.

Edit Been stacking over Surrey but heading to join finals now.

He's down in one piece.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, fygjam said:

A three bounce touch and go.

Keep your seatbelt fastened until the aircraft comes to a complete stop.

Video positioned for the three bounce landing, bit of PIO there.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Surprised 3

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

Keep your seatbelt fastened until the aircraft comes to a complete stop.

Video positioned for the three bounce landing, bit of PIO there.

That's got to be horrendous for the passengers. Thought the pilot did a good job controlling that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

That's got to be horrendous for the passengers. Thought the pilot did a good job controlling that.

Actually I think it might have been pilot error albeit due to difficult conditions.

That video is 11 hours long with aircraft landing every 2-3 minutes and that was the worst landing that I saw although there were a number of other go arounds. No, I haven't seen all 11 hours.

They were sent away for about 40 minutes. You can see the second attempt at 6:54:13.

I am not a pilot!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

And here is me thinking that PIO stands for Penis Induced Orgasms and somebody was in the rear galley giving the stewardess a good seeing to !!

If it were a female pilot then pilot induced oscillations may be correct. Otherwise

Pilot-induced oscillations (PIOs), as defined by MIL-HDBK-1797A,[1] are sustained or uncontrollable oscillations resulting from efforts of the pilot to control the aircraft. They occur when the pilot of an aircraft inadvertently commands an often increasing series of corrections in opposite directions, each an attempt to cover the aircraft's reaction to the previous input with an overcorrection in the opposite direction. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot-induced_oscillation

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/27/2024 at 3:01 PM, fygjam said:

Actually I think it might have been pilot error albeit due to difficult conditions.

That video is 11 hours long with aircraft landing every 2-3 minutes and that was the worst landing that I saw although there were a number of other go arounds. No, I haven't seen all 11 hours.

They were sent away for about 40 minutes. You can see the second attempt at 6:54:13.

I am not a pilot!

The plane seemed to come in further on the piss than many of the others, the decision to go around after he felt the conditions probably saved a disaster. I doubt they experience such harsh conditions very often. 

He/she done a good job the second time assuming the same person kept control.

Different types of aircraft probably respond better than others in these conditions too.

I too know f**k all about flying a plane.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

The plane seemed to come in further on the piss than many of the others, the decision to go around after he felt the conditions probably saved a disaster. I doubt they experience such harsh conditions very often. 

He/she done a good job the second time assuming the same person kept control.

Different types of aircraft probably respond better than others in these conditions too.

I too know f**k all about flying a plane.

The wind can affect take offs as well.

I was in Hong Kong many years back and a typhoon had recently gone through. I was on a BA Tristar and we were told that the crosswinds were bordering a constant 20 knots which was the aircraft's max. We attempted to take off but aborted as the crosswind was preventing the aircraft from staying on the centre line. We had just seen a Virgin A330 take off before us, but we were told the Virgin plane had an authorised take off crosswind component of 25 knots.

I believe Hong Kong Airport, itself, can restrict take offs when the crosswind component is over 20 knots.

When we did take off it was like being on a big dipper up and down, pretty scary. We also had to head straight north for a couple of hours and turned west just south of Beijing.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recall there used to be a third runway at Heathrow that was on a North South axis for when it was windy. That seems to have disappeared.

The worse landing I had was Easy Jet into Stanstead, the cross wind meant that the plane was coming in at such an angle I was looking out of the window at the runway, no idea what the pilot could see. But on touchdown he manuovered it perfectly onto the runway.

• Like 1

glad I wasn't a passenger on this one. The seat in front would have been covered in diced carrots and tomato skins...

this is Dusseldorf, not LHR.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I recall there used to be a third runway at Heathrow that was on a North South axis for when it was windy. That seems to have disappeared.

The worse landing I had was Easy Jet into Stanstead, the cross wind meant that the plane was coming in at such an angle I was looking out of the window at the runway, no idea what the pilot could see. But on touchdown he manuovered it perfectly onto the runway.

It's a normal maneuver called 'crabbing' to keep the nose aligned with the centerline of the runway, then using rudder when flaring to put the plane on the ground in the proper landing position to continue straight down the runway.  

Used to do it myself, a hell of a lot, when flying smaller aircraft such as Cessna 172's and Piper Warriors in Fort Worth Texas. It's just the same principle in bigger planes. Slipping a small plane to the runway was far more interesting, although maybe quite scary to the passenger.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4