Sad

coxyhog

On 4/25/2024 at 7:28 PM, Butch said:

tech is incredible. I've just purchased a Galaxy smart watch from Duty free.

I can call someone on the other side of the world and talk to them with a watch on my wrist. It measures all my heart rate etc and even tells me the quality of the sleep I had last night.

It also tracks and tells me when there's an unidentified Air tag near to me with an alert to my phone, which I find incredible as air tags are apple and my phone's an android.

Who knows what it'll be like in 5 years time.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:03 PM, boydeste said:

Samsung do air tags too!

9 minutes ago, Butch said:

Yep, but my Mrs has an iphone. I've had to attach an airtag to my Dad's keys as he kept losing them!.

Yes, if you want your sleep pattern measured etc. Not uncomfortable, and I usually wear a watch in bed anyway.

You done a good job of confusing the hell out of me!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, boydeste said:

You done a good job of confusing the hell out of me!

Ahhh lol I've confused myself:

Mrs purchased 2 apple Air tags, one for my Dad's keys and one for her own purse. she has an iphone, I have an android so the apple airtags can only be detected by her phone, but my Android and Galaxy watch will notify when there's an unidentified airtag nearby for any length of time, be it apple or samsung, for personal security I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Ahhh lol I've confused myself:

Mrs purchased 2 apple Air tags, one for my Dad's keys and one for her own purse. she has an iphone, I have an android so the apple airtags can only be detected by her phone, but my Android and Galaxy watch will notify when there's an unidentified airtag nearby for any length of time, be it apple or samsung, for personal security I guess.

Got ya.

15 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I remember when I graduated from H.S. My father gave me a very nice analog watch. I could tell he had put a lot of thought into and he was excited to give it to me. A happy memory for me actually.

Within a couple of years analog was history. 

My dad gave me a slide rule when I started college as I was majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Nice gesture, and I knew how to use one as it was still being taught and used when I was in HS, but by the time I started college they were replaced with multi-function, programmable calculators. Mine was a 2nd hand HP-65 that someone was selling cheap so they could buy the latest and greatest model.

For the nerds and geeks out there, remember RPN?

image.png

https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2012/11/calculating-firsts-visual-history-calculators

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My dad gave me a slide rule when I started college as I was majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Nice gesture, and I knew how to use one as it was still being taught and used when I was in HS, but by the time I started college they were replaced with multi-function, programmable calculators. Mine was a 2nd hand HP-65 that someone was selling cheap so they could buy the latest and greatest model.

image.png

https://edtechmagazine.com/k12/article/2012/11/calculating-firsts-visual-history-calculators

What about a Vernier Height Gauge and Micrometer ? lol, i've still got my Micrometer.....

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

image.png

12 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

What about a Vernier Height Gauge and Micrometer ? lol, i've still got my Micrometer.....

My brother had a slide ruler in his desk drawer. I remember looking at it thinking... WTF ?

I was looking for his weed stash anyway. Math was low on my priority list at that time.

--------------

Then they came out with those TI calculators. By that time I was even more confused. 

54 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I just gave all my old school measuring stuff to my keen as mustard apprentice last month as I guess I'm retiring for the last time

Micrometers snap gauges calipers etc some had been given to me by my grandad and had usmc 1941 on them 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

My brother had a slide ruler in his desk drawer. I remember looking at it thinking... WTF ?

I was looking for his weed stash anyway. Math was low on my priority list at that time.

--------------

Then they came out with those TI calculators. By that time I was even more confused. 

Love it :default_party-smiley-048:

5 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

I just gave all my old school measuring stuff to my keen as mustard apprentice last month as I guess I'm retiring for the last time

Micrometers snap gauges calipers etc some had been given to me by my grandad and had usmc 1941 on them 

Sad in one way but good that you are passing it on to someone who has a use and will, hopefully, use and appreciate them.

Edited by karon steve

18 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Within a couple of years analog was history

About ten years ago my partner bought me an analogue watch as a gift, not expensive but she paid for it. It has sentimental value and I still wear it everyday. 

I have trouble reading the screen on my phone outdoors and Wonder how practical a smart watch would be on a sunny day? 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, karon steve said:

Sad in one way but good that you are passing it on to someone who has a use and will, hopefully, use and appreciate them.

It's why I have given $1000 s of tools away In the last couple of years you amass truck loads of stuff over 50 years rather see it used than dumped 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Nickrock said:

It's why I have given $1000 s of tools away In the last couple of years you amass truck loads of stuff over 50 years rather see it used than dumped 

Yep.... Those days are over. I was able to give away a great deal of stuff, but you never know what will happen to it.

The return $ on 95 % of it is minimal. 

It's as much about time and release of emotional attachments. It's a process. Once you come to grips with it can be liberating. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yep.... Those days are over. I was able to give away a great deal of stuff, but you never know what will happen to it.

The return $ on 95 % of it is minimal. 

It's as much about time and release of emotional attachments. It's a process. Once you come to grips with it can be liberating. 

Yes I know the price of top quality tools are eye watering, I recall I paid something like $300 for a starrwhillie flogging spanner 99% wouldn't even know what it is used for

2 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Yes I know the price of top quality tools are eye watering, I recall I paid something like $300 for a starrwhillie flogging spanner 99% wouldn't even know what it is used for

I don't know, but sure sounds kinky....     

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Nickrock said:

Back in the mid 90's's, post GF1 the Americans were decommissioning several of their UK Air bases, I had the job of what was basically a "tally clerk", enter numbers on a form, tick the box and sign it off. The amount of high quality tools that found their way into the boot of my car  were dumped and buried, or sent to scrap in large 55 gallon barrels with the top then welded closed was shocking.

Here's a small but interesting fact. Some RAF bases were assigned to be used as hospitals. RAF Little Rissington for one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Little_Rissington

During the decommission, I was tasked with finding a disposal site for almost 20,000 Body bags...

• Thumbs Up 1