Golf

Archie43

Played stopped with Madsen leading after 12.  Brooke has missed too many birdie putts - is he could putt as good as Inbee she would win a lot more events.  Madsen is known to have nerves - when the restart happens things will heat up (so to speak). 

Wow - what a finish to the LPGA in Thailand !!   If you are going to watch later dont read on.   With a 2 shot lead on the 18th tee, after a few shaky holes and a bogie, Madsen pulled her drive left into the rough on the par 5.  Lin (2 shots back) hit her drive down the middle (more on that later), and Boutier (3 shots back) pushed it a little right but on fairway.  Boutier hits a great second, but in hits the front of the green and rolls back down the very step hill in front.  Lin gets out her iron, but the caddy talks her into hitting hybrid, worried she will do the same as Boutier.  Lin hits a cracker - lands 10 feet past the hole leaving 15 foot downhill slider putt for eagle.

Madsen is far closer to the green as she has cut the corner - ball is lying OK in rough - clear shot to hole.  On course commentator says she can hit a 9 iron to the front of green - but her caddie indicates an 8 iron - commentator says he thinks too much. Sure enough she hits it over the green into the spectator stand.  Madsen takes a free drop, but now has an impossible downhill chip towards the pin. If she lands it too far from green the ball will stop too soon, if she lands it too close, she will go down to where Boutier is.  Commentator suggests she chip it to the right and away from pin much easier - then 2 putts for par and unless Xi sinks the eagle putt then she wins.  Madsen and caddy are looking at the hole - commentator surprised (Bob angry - more below) - chip lands short and stops just before the green - Madsen now has longer downhill putt than Xi.   Boutier next to play - 40 yard up steep hil - cant see the hole - chips in for an eagle - what a shot.  Madsen next and she misses putt - hits it too hard and ball goes 6 feet past.  Madsen at best can make a par. Xi is next to putt - very hard eagle putt will win it - just slides past the hole - tap in birdie.  Madsen has difficult par putt to win - ball does not turn (WTF) - just misses.  Play Off !!   

So much more happens in the 3 playoff holes - no time for all of it - but Madsen wins with an eagle on 3rd playoff hole.

Lin did something amazing - she never missed a fairway with any drive on any day of the tournament !!

Bob was angry - because Madsen's caddy is an idiot (her husband).  He was more nervous than she was, and he gave her the wrong club and wrong advice several times under pressure.  It is a fact that many players need a professional caddy, especially under the pressure of trying to win.  Now I remember when Madsen lost the Open last year, when she was leading on the last hole.  On a broader note, this again has given me more belief that Rory would have been far more successful without his mate Harry as caddy - Rory gets emotional and goes for shots he should not (and he needs help reading putts).  When Tiger's caddy quit, Adam Scott picked him up - the result was a win in the Masters for Adam and SFA for Tiger for a long time. Caddys make a huge difference - will someone please tell Rory to get one. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Surprise leader at Sawgrass in India's Lahiri, ranked 322 in the world. 

Casey going well for the British, just 2 shots off the lead. 

Cam Smith in the lead at -10 after opening with 3 straight birdies. 
Should be a great finish, I won’t be budging for the next 4 hours

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Didn't even realise there had been a delay until I saw this thread going today 555

Monday golf always a bonus 

Lucky it didn’t get stretched to Tuesday actually, they’ve had lots of rain, wind, and cold. It’s the latest I’ve seen a 36 hole cut be made that I can remember, 3 pm on Sunday

Oh my 🇨🇦 Pendrith just sank a 60 footer to get to -7 and 5 back, he hits it so long, but had made too many bogies on easier holes this week. But the biggest purse in golf should equal his biggest paycheque ever, life changing $ for the young man

• Like 1

What the hell……🇨🇦 Hadwin quietly makes 4 birdies on his inward half, and is only one shot back. You never know…..

Bradley now ties for the lead as well, don’t forget he incurred a 2 stroke penalty over his ball moving an inch in the wind

Edited by Golfingboy