COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Just for info, re the above, and the 99.bla bla bla % nonsense ...

This past Winter, 1 in every 60 Covid infection resulted in a death in the UK.

Now it's under 1 in 1000. 

Vaccines, baby, vaccines ...

Exactly.

But . . . why the f**k don't these media idiots ask the right questions to the PM and Witty when they get the chance?

My question today would have been "if vaccines are our saviour, why is the number given each day dropping? Surely we should be giving 500,000 minimum jabs every day. Yesterday it was under 200,000".

Really pees me off when they ask "can you guarantee blah blah blah?" which is an impossible question, therefore a waste of time and waste of a question.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Exactly.

But . . . why the f**k don't these media idiots ask the right questions to the PM and Witty when they get the chance?

My question today would have been "if vaccines are our saviour, why is the number given each day dropping? Surely we should be giving 500,000 minimum jabs every day. Yesterday it was under 200,000".

Really pees me off when they ask "can you guarantee blah blah blah?" which is an impossible question, therefore a waste of time and waste of a question.

The roll out now is for the youngsters and unfortunately many are choosing to not have it. Horses to water and all that.

As for the media questions,  they just blow my mind of the stupidity. 

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I suspect we are talking particularly of Beth Rigby here. Obnoxious woman. 😠

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

Exactly.

Vaccines aren't mandatory, you can't force people. There is loads of vaccines, and loads of places to get vaccinated.

There's been a huge push this last few weeks, like really huge, to get people vaccinated before the 19th.  

Everywhere from most football stadiums in London, to open air places, to mobile vans etc. 

They've even tried to be creative, giving out incentives, everything from a free burger, to tours round Arsenal's Emirates stadium, to take a selfie getting vaccinated and potentially win a £50 voucher. But you'll have seen the posts on this very thread trying to ridicule such incentive attempts in America and wherever, so when you see that kinda mentality, you realise what they're up against. 

As the Stew fella below says, it's mostly younger people now, and many don't see Covid as a danger to them, so aren't as bothered to get it. While that may be true, it is more of a danger to their parents and grandparents, if they bring it home. The vaccine cuts down transmission as well. 

But as said, you can't force people.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

The roll out now is for the youngsters and unfortunately many are choosing to not have it. Horses to water and all that.

Correct!

You're very rarely wrong, and 100% right here! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

England tries something no country has

No country in the world has attempted to lift restrictions like this - in the face of rapidly rising cases driven by the new, more infectious Delta variant.

Some say it would be better to wait until autumn when all adults will have had the chance to get a second vaccine dose.

That may sound good in principle, but scientists advising government seem to be backing a summer lifting.

Unlocking was always going to drive up infections. And the problem with trying to delay that is the risk of a surge in cases at a much worse time.

By the autumn schools will be back - and we can see the huge disruption the rise in cases in recent weeks has had.

People will also be outdoors more in the summer months, which could help flatten the peak.

But perhaps most importantly you risk running into the flu season.

That is when the NHS is under most pressure, while a Covid infection followed by flu in quick succession puts the vulnerable even more at risk.

The move is not without risk. The government is banking on the wall of immunity built up by the vaccination programme stemming these rises soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Vaccines aren't mandatory, you can't force people. There is loads of vaccines, and loads of places to get vaccinated.

There's been a huge push this last few weeks, like really huge, to get people vaccinated before the 19th.  

Everywhere from most football stadiums in London, to open air places, to mobile vans etc. 

They've even tried to be creative, giving out incentives, everything from a free burger, to tours round Arsenal's Emirates stadium, to take a selfie getting vaccinated and potentially win a £50 voucher. But you'll have seen the posts on this very thread trying to ridicule such incentive attempts in America and wherever, so when you see that kinda mentality, you realise what they're up against. 

As the Stew fella below says, it's mostly younger people now, and many don't see Covid as a danger to them, so aren't as bothered to get it. While that may be true, it is more of a danger to their parents and grandparents, if they bring it home. The vaccine cuts down transmission as well. 

But as said, you can't force people.

Correct!

You're very rarely wrong, and 100% right here! 

Yeah, but I'd like to know if it's if:-

a) People are not booking the vaccination;

b) People are not showing up for their vaccination booking;

c) There's a supply shortage, in which case someone should receive a major bollocking.

33 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Yeah, but I'd like to know if it's if:-

a) People are not booking the vaccination;

b) People are not showing up for their vaccination booking;

c) There's a supply shortage, in which case someone should receive a major bollocking.

There's absolutely no shortage of vaccines, nor is there likely to be. We have loads, and loads more ordered, some new vaccines, some made totally in the UK. That is not the issue.

Currently, you don't even have to book, must are just walk ins, you don't even have to give info if you don't want. You just turn up.

The numbers are going down a bit as it's mostly younger people now, and some don't see the need. 

But all things considered, they're still big numbers, and the UK's vaccine roll out and take up has been nothing short of a National success story. It's the reason why we're able to lift restrictions on the 19th. Boris has never wanted lockdown and restrictions, he had no choice before, NHS would have ended by in an Indian scenario, huge death toll. 

To me it was entirely sensible to put back the date to the 19th, and now i again totally agree with him again, Covid isn't going anywhere, we have to live to learn with it, and people can make their own judgements on what risk they're prepared to take. Personally i'll not be wearing a mask anywhere after the 19th, though if others want to continue, that's fine, their choice. 

Full football stadiums, served at the bar, full concerts, nightclubs, theatres etc from 19th, get in Boris you sexy big Blonde bomber, you!  Gonna go to a few games as soon as i can, soak up the atmosphere, even friendlies. 

New cases rising rapidly in Israel.

The Middle Eastern nation is now recording around 300 cases a day - a staggering 5,900 percent increase. 

Israel's national expert panel on COVID-19 reported Monday that half of cases are among vaccinated adults, and they believe the Delta variant - which originated in India - is responsible.

Pfizer vaccine efficacy appears to drop to 64% in Israel amid rampant spread of Indian Delta variant | Daily Mail Online 

11 hours ago, bob lt said:

The Middle Eastern nation is now recording around 300 cases a day - a staggering 5,900 percent increase. 

Israel's national expert panel on COVID-19 reported Monday that half of cases are among vaccinated adults, and they believe the Delta variant - which originated in India - is responsible.

Pfizer vaccine efficacy appears to drop to 64% in Israel amid rampant spread of Indian Delta variant | Daily Mail Online 

But do case numbers matter? 

The key comment for me in that article was: ".... some decrease in vaccine effectiveness against mild illness - but not severe illness - is likely." 

13 hours ago, bob lt said:

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

But do case numbers matter? 

The key comment for me in that article was: ".... some decrease in vaccine effectiveness against mild illness - but not severe illness - is likely." 

:lol:

That's the worst kind of scaremongering, sensationalised pish from the Daily Mail. 

When numbers are that low, it's ridiculous to use % unless you want to sensationalise it.

Half of cases are vaccinated? No shit Sherlock, 85% of the population are vaccinated!  I'm surprised it's not more!

300 cases lol. f**k sake, they'll be 30,000 in the UK probably later today, definitely by the end of the week. It's not cases now, it's hospitalisations and deaths in places like Israel and the UK with high % of the population vaccinated. I notice they don't mention those figures, clearly not sensationalised enough!

The 64% figure is misleading garbage as well, that's not deaths, that's mild illness, as in like the flu ffs!

Top trolling from the Daily Mail. They've spent months banging on about end lockdown, open up. 

As soon as that happens, next day they run a ridiculous scaremongering article about Israel who have opened up, implying it's f***d there now :lol:

• Like 2

Sajid Javid's speech to the HOP just now, saying people have to take personal responsibility for their lives, and Covid is not the only health issue in the UK :default_bow:

Been a breath of fresh air since he came in, a realist!

From the BBC -

Time to think differently about Covid

d19ce0f2-3638-4e07-8f77-1111c9e11e39.jpg

Nick Triggle

Health Correspondent

For more than a year, personal freedoms have been curtailed to keep Covid at bay.

That looks likely to change, with ministers proposing to lift many of the remaining restrictions in England on 19 July. The details, set out on Monday, have sparked intense debate.

But what is unarguable is that the nature of the pandemic in the UK has changed - and with it so should many of our assumptions.

The rollout of the vaccination programme has altered everything, reducing both the individual risk and the wider one to the health system.

Back in January, about one in 10 infections could be expected to translate into a hospital admission 10 days later. Now that figure appears to be somewhere between one in 40 and one in 50.

What is more, those ending up in hospital seem to be less sick, and need less intensive treatment.

The risk of death, as a result, has reduced even further. In January about one in 60 cases resulted in someone dying. Today it's fewer than one in 1,000.

I think removing the mandate of masks from public transport is a huge mistake  ... fair enough to open places when people have a choice to be ( pubs , cinemas, nightclubs etc etc )  but some have no choice about using public transport , may be vulnerable even with the vaccination and will have to continue to use even with cases surging 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I think removing the mandate of masks from public transport is a huge mistake  ... fair enough to open places when people have a choice to be ( pubs , cinemas, nightclubs etc etc )  but some have no choice about using public transport , may be vulnerable even with the vaccination and will have to continue to use even with cases surging 

Agree. I'm vaccinated but will wear a mask anytime in an enclosed space with people that I do not know.

Why take a chance until the "coast" is completely clear?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

59 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Disagree. 

Can't live in fear or under restrictions any longer, it's destroying the economy and detrimental to people's mental health. 

Personally I am done with masks, social distancing and all that bollocks. I just want to get back to normal before these restrictions end up being made permanent by the back door. 

Boris leaving it our choice is the right call. Anyone wants to live in fear then stay indoors and leave the rest of us to get on with living. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, galenkia said:

Disagree. 

Can't live in fear or under restrictions any longer, it's destroying the economy and detrimental to people's mental health. 

Personally I am done with masks, social distancing and all that bollocks. I just want to get back to normal before these restrictions end up being made permanent by the back door. 

Boris leaving it our choice is the right call. Anyone wants to live in fear then stay indoors and leave the rest of us to get on with living. 

Some people don't have a choice - because of other medical treatments they are receiving - wearing a mask on public transport is a small price to pay IMO - not sure how it stops you living your life whilst also protecting others 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Some people don't have a choice - because of other medical treatments they are receiving - wearing a mask on public transport is a small price to pay IMO - not sure how it stops you living your life whilst also protecting others 

You are talking about a handful of people against the freedom of tens of millions of people to live a normal life. 

What about the tens of thousands of people who die from flu related diseases every year?. We have never worried about them before so what makes Covid the exception?. 

And we really are talking about a handful of people currently dying WITH Covid, not necessarily FROM Covid. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, galenkia said:

You are talking about a handful of people against the freedom of tens of millions of people to live a normal life. 

What about the tens of thousands of people who die from flu related diseases every year?. We have never worried about them before so what makes Covid the exception?. 

And we really are talking about a handful of people currently dying WITH Covid, not necessarily FROM Covid. 

Millions of people are currently receiving immune reducing treatment for cancers etc in the U.K. many will have no choice but to use public transport to get to and from hospital 

Covid is much easier to spread than the flu and masks help reduce that risk , they think the current variant could have an R rating of 7 if left unchecked, flu is 1.2 

as I said in my first post ,I have no issues with having concerts , nightclubs , sporting events etc open - just think the minor inconvenience of wearing a face covering whilst on the bus or tube is a small price to pay 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Millions of people are currently receiving immune reducing treatment for cancers etc in the U.K. many will have no choice but to use public transport to get to and from hospital 

Covid is much easier to spread than the flu and masks help reduce that risk , they think the current variant could have an R rating of 7 if left unchecked, flu is 1.2 

as I said in my first post ,I have no issues with having concerts , nightclubs , sporting events etc open - just think the minor inconvenience of wearing a face covering whilst on the bus or tube is a small price to pay 

Then you will have people wanting it in supermarkets as we all need to shop. And where next, hospitals? , as everyone there is sick. 

You have to end it all with no exception. 

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I agree with you, but already a not insignificant percentage of people (mostly under 30s) are not wearing masks, that I think it is better to not have a law than to have one so brazenly flouted. 

Only time will tell, if the right decisions have been made. 

We are assuming that the current vacinations will be adequate to protect against the rising number of Delta cases. 

I hope, like the rest of us, that this is the case and that booster jabs maybe required along with flu jabs for the most vulnerable in Autumn. 

In the end it will surely boil down to what is acceptable and by who. That will surely vary between those most vulnerable and those who are less so. 

My fear, is that if we jump too quickly, we may have to take, a step back later, which might be far worse in the long run. But we simply don't know and the economy needs to start growing again, with people getting back to work, businesses reopening in full and consumerism returning to where it should be. 

Covid may well end up being like annual flu, except, let's not forget, that it will not replace flu but be an addition  burden both on the general public and the NHS. 

Covid is likely to stay around and we will have to deal with it.  Returning back to normal is not going to make it go away. 

Let us hope that new drugs will slowly start to appear that offer more effective and life saving treatment for those vulnerable to the Virus, including Flu. 

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I'm going to disagree with you too- don't feel picked upon😉

My experience of public transport is solely the london underground which I used regularly. Since COVID  restrictions began  March  2020, I could have taken you a tube journey and before the journey started told you with 95% accuracy the demographic that would not been wearing a mask.

I've seen zero enforcement. Was on the tube yesterday, nothing's changed.

Same picture is playing out with vaccinations, the majority of the population has joined in and done what the Govt has asked. There's stubborn areas particularly in London where the vaccination rates are low.

No amount of laws, encouragement or incentives have changed any of this.

It's time that majority who've played ball and been good citizens where allowed to be treated as adults again. I'll  probably still wear a mask on the Tube most likely(my bet is the majority still will in the short term), but won't bother in the shops. 

As a society and economy we can't be crucifying ourselves over this.

Time to for the country to move on.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, lazarus said:

Agree. I'm vaccinated but will wear a mask anytime in an enclosed space with people that I do not know.

Why take a chance until the "coast" is completely clear?

👍

I don't like getting sick.

Like I have said before. I will continue to take the precautions to limit exposure for any circumstance I may find myself in.

That, by no measure, means I plan on walking around in a bubble. But, I just look at it as common sense prevails.

A big plus for me in adjusting to the covid "social distancing" practices is that I had already in many respects initiated in those habits (to some degree) long before the outbreak. So, for me to adapt to the new habits was much easier than it may be for others, or for me at the time I was a much younger man. Much of this I reckon was picked up from things I recognized and adjusted to with the job (eg. hand washing, avoiding large crowds, avoiding spit wads.... that sort of thing).

Again.... what it all comes down to for me.... It's all about how I view it and chose to protect myself. I don't give a flying f**k about what anyone thinks regarding how I approach my own safety.

For others who want to ignore these safety procedures then they do so at their own peril. And many of those that do will get horribly sick and many of them will croak. One less moron wasting space IMO, f**k em.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1