Sois 7 and 8 - How long left...and What next?.

Butch

Sailor bar has done a major expansion, increasing the table capacity and now looks out onto Soi8. They must have confidence in their future, tho its never been a 'girlie' bar and now even more a restaurant than before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, biggles said:

Sailor bar has done a major expansion, increasing the table capacity and now looks out onto Soi8. They must have confidence in their future, tho its never been a 'girlie' bar and now even more a restaurant than before. 

Well attended every night I have passed by.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Sailor bar is arguably a Soi 8 institution these days. Many thanks to @john luke for the brilliant set of pics of both Sois.

It looks like 8 is crying out for investment, the Eastiny Hotels are both derelict and empty along with a few other properties, a far cry from the days of Cherry Bar and others when the Soi was just brilliant. I wonder if the old Soi 8 GoGo is still operating?.

I was in Rolling Live last year, only a handful of customers on the nights we were there, which is a shame as the band is very good, as is the service.

I've no idea why the hotels have not been opened or at least refurbished. Soi 8 is an ideal location, close to the beach and Central and is now a relatively quiet Soi. The hotels had decent sized rooms, pools and were good value back in the day. Looking at Agoda, it seems the last review is 2020, so basically Covid appears to have done for them.

Soi 7 does look to be picking up, a good selection of bars, all it needs is a bit more footfall and customers to head down the Soi. It seems like only yesterday I was eating breakfast in the Pig and Whistle while watching BBC news, or a re run of Only Fools and Horses on the big TV screen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

I've no idea why the hotels have not been opened or at least refurbished. Soi 8 is an ideal location, close to the beach and Central and is now a relatively quiet Soi. The hotels had decent sized rooms, pools and were good value back in the day.

The owners of hotels that size probably have a better knowledge of Pattaya's future plans than the bar owners and vloggers that continually say "It'll never happen" ..... 

I think there will definitely be some sort of monorail system in the future and it will definitely have an effect on businesses on the sois joining beach road and second road .. and further east .. 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

I hit Rolling Stone bar a few times over the years, and the corner bar at the beach (which I believe is under new ownership). Completely enjoyed myself each time tearing the floor up.

Other than that didn't have reason to go there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Butch said:

Sailor bar is arguably a Soi 8 institution these days. Many thanks to @john luke for the brilliant set of pics of both Sois.

It looks like 8 is crying out for investment, the Eastiny Hotels are both derelict and empty along with a few other properties, a far cry from the days of Cherry Bar and others when the Soi was just brilliant. I wonder if the old Soi 8 GoGo is still operating?.

I was in Rolling Live last year, only a handful of customers on the nights we were there, which is a shame as the band is very good, as is the service.

I've no idea why the hotels have not been opened or at least refurbished. Soi 8 is an ideal location, close to the beach and Central and is now a relatively quiet Soi. The hotels had decent sized rooms, pools and were good value back in the day. Looking at Agoda, it seems the last review is 2020, so basically Covid appears to have done for them.

Soi 7 does look to be picking up, a good selection of bars, all it needs is a bit more footfall and customers to head down the Soi. It seems like only yesterday I was eating breakfast in the Pig and Whistle while watching BBC news, or a re run of Only Fools and Horses on the big TV screen.

I miss the pig and whistle 

Some good solid grub and great prices

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Nickrock said:

I miss the pig and whistle 

Some good solid grub and great prices

It was a great venue back in the day, well managed with consistently good food. I used to stay at the Flipper on 8 and have a hungover breakfast almost every day at the Pig or Rosies.

On the subject of hotels, I think the Eastiny group is no more, as the hotel on Soi 10 has been derelict for ages.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2