Maps - Old School & Digital

lazarus

• 3 weeks later...

We've all seen those silly maps the Euro-zealots have on their living room walls after Brexit showing the world without Great Britain. Here's a map showing only the world's islands, Oz omitted, I guess, as it's a continent. I like this one for some reason, it's kind of peaceful, lol...

FB_IMG_1711714071141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lazarus said:

This map is more interesting, informative and well-designed than you'd expect from a port authority. Great piece of work shows the development of the port of Rotterdam from 1400 to 2030. 

Google Earth view...

Screenshot 2024-03-31 172040.jpg

• Great Info 1

7 hours ago, lazarus said:

Google Earth view...

Screenshot 2024-03-31 172040.jpg

Back in the early 80's, I stayed for the best part of 3 months in a fancy hotel in Maasluis, on the northern bank of the river, while we were doing some recompletion and abandonment work on old oil wells in the De Lier field. Looking at the Google map of the area, it seems to have changed enough in the last 40 years that I can hardly recognise it, no need to go back 500 years, lol.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Back in the early 80's, I stayed for the best part of 3 months in a fancy hotel in Maasluis, on the northern bank of the river, while we were doing some recompletion and abandonment work on old oil wells in the De Lier field. Looking at the Google map of the area, it seems to have changed enough in the last 40 years that I can hardly recognise it, no need to go back 500 years, lol.

I spent a while trying to figure out where the hotel we'd stayed in had been, and I finally remembered that it was the Delta Hotel in Vlaardingen, not Maassluis.

254612244.jpg?k=a7d05961884d81c9221f353a

This was a fun time, I was working week on/week off with another engineer and he'd found the hotel but had been told by Personnel (what we call HR these days) that it was too posh for the likes of us. It was a weird area, with the river and harbour to the south, while to the north it was mostly greenhouses kept warm by Groningen gas to grow all those Dutch fruit and vegetables. When you got to the sea you had the Hoek van Holland ferry terminal, and north of were some cheap and cheerful beach resorts like Monster. He'd argued the toss with them and eventually they relented, as nobody could find a suitable cheaper alternative. We were on 24-hour duty for the week so had to be able to get to the rig fast when called, but this hotel was 20 km from the wellsite, way too far in normal circumstances. Just north of it, though, was a very fast dual-carriageway that went to De Lier, so we could get to the rig in under 15 minutes if need be. The best part was that we were paid a generous mileage allowance, and driving to and from the rig 4 or 5 times a day meant a lot of extra Guilders in the bank account when the expenses claim was filed. Lovely jubbly.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do you remember your first visit to a McDonald's?

For me it was when I was in university in London, probably 1976 or 77. I'd been somewhere with a Welsh-Polish mate for the afternoon and we were starving, somewhere near St. James's Park, and he took me to the nearby McDonald's which must have been one of the first to open in London. I was impressed with the quick, cheap and tasty meal, even as a regular at the take-away KFC by Gloucester Road tube station and the Turkish kebab shop 'The Bosphorous' near South Ken tube station.

FB_IMG_1711360013420.jpg

• Like 1