UK State Pension - How does one get it paid in Thai baht into a Thai bank account ?

Pumpuynarak

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

If you think about it, they are asking us to remember things from decades ago at a time in our lives when we are by default approaching an age whereby we can't remember if we've been to the toilet or not that morning!!

I assumed they had every bit of information they required as they know more about my past than I do but I had to fill in pages of nonsense for something I am entitled to.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:33 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

and that is exactly what i did, trouble is i was somewhat dilatory in advising them of my Thailand address and of course i then had to repay the increases i had illegally received and the bastards also awarded me a 50GBP penalty 😬

A 50GBP is probably their absolute minimum "Fine" so you were lucky.

I took on board a new client who owned a small Deli just round the corner from Edinburgh's Inland Revenue head office. Many of his lunchtime clients were their staff.

He had never ever submitted a tax return and was 7 years behind although I managed to get that reduced to 5 years.  Thankfully he did keep good records and amazingly individual boxes containing each years receipts etc all in order. I did one set of accounts each month so I could look after my other clients. My up front fee to produce 5 years accounts covered my next three trips to Thailand which let him off light.

When we eventually secured an "agreement" with the Revenue that he had to pay the 5 years total outstanding tax liability plus a penalty equal to the same amount of each years total outstanding tax.

They could be real bastards if you upset them.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Oh Yes! I was investigated in '96 and have made sure I was "clean" ever since.!!!

I've been fortunate in that I've never had to endure an audit by the IRS. That's for both personal and a couple of businesses I ran in my prior life.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Oh Yes! I was investigated in '96 and have made sure I was "clean" ever since.!!!

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I've been fortunate in that I've never had to endure an audit by the IRS. That's for both personal and a couple of businesses I ran in my prior life.

From memory in my 9 years of trading as a one man band accountant to mostly the small business community in Edinburgh plus six largish pubs I was involved with 6 client audits. Two were just random picks by the Revenue and the other 4 because they broke my mantra of "Keep your head below the parapet; don't draw attention to yourself; don't treat the Revenue as being stupid."

In retrospect, I should have taken my own advice.

When you accompany a client for an audit meeting with the Revenue Inspector you sit in a room with the Inspector and her (always seemed to be a "her") assistant who takes notes. I will never forget my first such meeting as my client was dead in the water having not declared the substantial income from 3 "one armed bandits" in his pub and included the total cost  of his wedding as a stock purchase. He might, just might, have got away with the latter if the Reception had actually been in his  Pub's premises.

The meeting commenced with introductions all round with the Inspector being all warm and "Ms all round nice person."

I was asked to kindly hand over one of my business cards which I hastily obliged. Ms Inspector looked at my card, looked at me with a cat like smile on her face and showed the card to her assistant who looked at the card and immediately straight at me. The Inspector then proclaimed:

"Oh, your  "@@@@thebeancounter." We wondered who you were.

I thought it was amusing to include the words "thebeancounter" in my email address but all I had done was draw attention to myself to apparently all at their head office.

To be fair, I found all the Revenue Inspectors to be extremely professional and not at all unreasonable.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jambo said:

From memory in my 9 years of trading as a one man band accountant to mostly the small business community in Edinburgh plus six largish pubs I was involved with 6 client audits. Two were just random picks by the Revenue and the other 4 because they broke my mantra of "Keep your head below the parapet; don't draw attention to yourself; don't treat the Revenue as being stupid."

In '96 I was doing a 6 month contract in Indonesia and, before I was about to take up a contract in Bangkok, it transpired that my accountant was jailed for fraud whilst acting on behalf of a Chinese restaurant in Wiltshire .... My new accountant came to an agreement that my slate would be wiped clean and I would be assessed on my 95 and 96 earnings ..... Lubbly jubbly for me as it didn't include my earnings in PRC ...But it didn't make any difference because it all went to my exwife anyway .... but that is another story ....

• Like 2

For those that might be interested, here is an update on my State Pension Claim :-

- EMS Track and Trace package was delivered Tuesday afternoon.

- I have received an SMS from them on the Thai number listed on the claim form, confirming receipt and saying that they would contact me if they needed more information and that there was no need for me to contact them otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 3