Robertsons Jam.

john luke

6 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Veferred to as) 'people of no colour' use the term Mate ??le have been vilified and even dismissed from their careers simply for saying / typing the word Nigger and yet it is used so often in other societies, the same ones that demand to be equal.

If it's such an offensive term, why do they themselves use it so frequently ??

At the risk of being a WASP who doesn't have a scoobie what he is talking about I would guess that having been subjected for decades hearing the N word being used in a derogatory manner by white people they now take pride in using the N word themselves. It acts as an embarrassing reminder to the rest of us.

I feel uncomfortable every time I hear the N word whoever uses it which surely is the way it should be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

At the risk of being a WASP who doesn't have a scoobie what he is talking about I would guess that having been subjected for decades hearing the N word being used in a derogatory manner by white people they now take pride in using the N word themselves. It acts as an embarrassing reminder to the rest of us.

I understand what your saying Mr. Jam, but i really cannot see that being the case mate.

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

I feel uncomfortable every time I hear the N word whoever uses it which surely is the way it should be.

Also i can't agree with that, if it's ok for them to use then why should anybody else be different ??

In the days, not so long ago in America and likely other places too, when a black person could not ride in the same bus or train as whites, had to use different hotels, toilets, sit in designated areas in stadiums etc etc.

Now that i fully disagree with and feel they have every right to be bitter about such things. But it's now in the past and cannot be changed whatever people say or do.

I have a number of 'darker' friends, some from as far back as my school days, we have always got along just fine. 

And that's the way it should be.....

Without getting into a debate, I think what African Americans did was to take ownership of the N word in order to be less empowering to their white counterparts and the spelling has also changed amongst its use in the black Community. But it really depends on how the word is used. Whether it is used in a derogatory way to suggest inferiority or amongst the black community as a figure of brotherhood. At the end of the day, the N word is slang and was used widely during the day's of slavery, when many slave owners and traders depicted negros as sub-human. 

Personally, I wouldn't dream of calling a person of colour, a ni""ger to their face as I wouldn't deem it necessary. Plus I could seriously run the risk of losing some teeth 😁

No matter how civilised we become, it seems that there will always be a distinction of colour, but it is how that distinction is viewed which is the most important. 

Times have changed, and advertisers are rightly more sensitive in the way that they market products and the days, of the Black and White Minstrels are long gone. 

I still can't work out what the relationship between Jam and a golliwog was? What led Robertson to use it as a logo? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

What led Robertson to use it as a logo? 

Just before World War I, John Robertson (son of James Robertson) was on a tour of the United States. Whilst on a visit to the backwoods he noticed many young children playing with little black rag dolls with white eyes, made from their mothers' discarded black skirts and white blouses.[9] Intrigued by the popularity of the "Golly" (the name being the children's interpretation of doll), he thought it would make an ideal mascot and trade mark for the Robertson's range of products. Accepted by the company, Golly was first shown on Robertson literature in 1910, on items such as labels and price lists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson's#Golly_branding

• Great Info 5

17 hours ago, Butch said:

White

Anglo

Saxon

Protestant

My first job was with Sun Life Assce Society prior to which I had to complete an employment application form. It was long, old fashioned and included questions I found intrusive.

The two that really pissed me off were:

Occupation of Father

and

Religion

I answered the first as "Irrelevant" rather than "f***d if I know" and the second as "R & B"

I learned years later that my completed application form was the catalyst for a complete redesign of the actual form which in the new version omitted both those questions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

That first question has a tendency to produce unexpected results, I still remember a case where a girl in school answered that with "Mon père est le président de la république" (my father is the president of France). Much confusion until her mother confirmed the girl was the extramarital daughter of François Mitterand.

• Haha 3