Robertsons Jam.

john luke

6 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Remember them well, and the small enameled badges of the same little chap too............

Use to have paper tokens on the back of the jar 

think it was collet ten for a badge 

E239A90A-A065-4DAC-9A59-C92E64D590A2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, galenkia said:

Mad some of the stuff that was once considered acceptable.

00013210-1200x1842.jpeg

It still would be if people were not so bloody sensitive.....

I'm so happy to be living here in Thailand where there is pretty much none of this nonsense going on.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I was a skinhead back in the 80's,done plenty of shit I ain't proud of now. Fucking ashamed actually, but I can't change my past. But I ain't been that person for a long time. I abhor racism in all forms these days,we all live in a mixed culture society now so people need to move with times.

Same here, I fell in with the wrong crowd in the mid 80's, very much a casuals vs skins vs Mods vs Rockers in our town.

Shocking to think that this kind of stuff was deemed acceptable, but it does show that we're moving forward as a society (one would hope) with regards racism. There is an issue of it moving too far forward though, such as some aspects of BLM and accusations of "white privilege" which, when we destroy historical connections to the colonial past, future generations won't possibly be able to learn from it, plus santising the past will also have a similar effect. Kids need to see how bad it was then, warts and all, and hopefully it'll shock them into realising that the society they live in today is more equal and fair, and they should strive to keep it that way.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, SteveBC said:

It still would be if people were not so bloody sensitive.....

I'm so happy to be living here in Thailand where there is pretty much none of this nonsense goin

Yes,I've worked in several countries and they might call me "whitey", "farang"  "obroni coco" etc. I don't care.

Nigger implications back to the days of slavery are beyond my knowledge. Also kike etc. for Jews i will leave to you to consider 

29 minutes ago, Jambo said:

[...]

A year ago I came through Heathrow into a large queue to passport control. I presented my British passport to the officer who was a female wearing a hijab head covering. She asked me what was the purpose of my visit? After a pause in my count to ten I said "Returning to the country of my birth."

I would have requested to see her supervisor ... to report her for criminal stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I would have requested to see her supervisor ... to report her for criminal stupidity.

As far as I can see she asked a typical question and Jambo answered very eloquently. That's it ism't it. And a welcome bit of Bob Dylan.

• Like 1

I detest a lot of the woke bollocks that goes on these days, but if anyone is seriously saying they can't see or understand why at least some of the above would be viewed as offensive to/by black people, then to me they just don't want to understand. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

I detest a lot of the woke bollocks that goes on these days, but if anyone is seriously saying they can't see or understand why at least some of the above would be viewed as offensive to/by black people, then to me they just don't want to understand. 

I think in the modern world we are all aware of things that we weren't when growing up. For me a lot of racism revolves around intent, I know ignorance and un-education may not be viewed as an excuse, but it is responsible for a lot of criticism when it shouldn't be!

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

Also, consider that for some of us who didn't live in a large city, other ethnicities on the housing estate (I grew up on the largest council housing estate in Europe) were few and far between. Where I lived there were 2 Jamaican families (one of whom we lived 2 doors down from and the youngest son remains one of my friends).

However, looking back I realise how much dignity his parents and family had, how much restraint they showed and how well they rose above all the prejudice targeted at them, still showing kindness and humility to others, putting up with the ignorant comments of others, and rising above it.

Ironic how everyone looked upon them as inferior, when all the time it was the whites showing their ignorance.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

As far as I can see she asked a typical question and Jambo answered very eloquently. That's it ism't it. And a welcome bit of Bob Dylan.

She shouldn't have asked, the proper phrase in such a case is "Welcome home".

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

For me a lot of racism revolves around intent, I know ignorance and un-education may not be viewed as an excuse, but it is responsible for a lot of criticism when it shouldn't be!

Very well put Boyd'

I too believe it should be judged by the intent behind whatever word is used, for instance nowadays many popular rap songs feature the Nigger word many many times, the same as it's used by many 'people of colour' in everyday conversation much the same i (should we be referred to as) 'people of no colour' use the term Mate ?? 

Many people have been vilified and even dismissed from their careers simply for saying / typing the word Nigger and yet it is used so often in other societies, the same ones that demand to be equal.

If it's such an offensive term, why do they themselves use it so frequently ??

So i repeat, people should be judged on the intent factor and not what word / phrase is actually used, as there is often NO maliciousness meant or involved at all.

People are FAR too sensitive these days......

Edited by SteveBC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1