Hua Hin Ferry

Siam Addict

Ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin permanently cancelled
The troubled route launched in 2017 but struggled the entirety of its 4-year run. The ferry ridership was less than expected and the route between Pattaya and Hua Hin proved to just not be that popular. The ferry had various other troubles and setbacks along the way, but when Covid-19 started shutting down services and regions, it was the beginning of the end for the ferry route.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Painter said:

Their offices and "boarding area" were cleared out and portacabins removed from the pier when I was there earlier this year. 

Yep the monkeys had taken over last year,couple of fisherman boats were sat there,and the monkeys were rummaging through them,was fun to watch,but sad to see the ticket office gone.

Running a ferry is a very money hungry business...Even when the ferry is not running everyone still must be paid...The Hua hin ferry only ran 30-40% full most days, and it cost a whopping 2500 round trip per person.....In the videos I saw Thai ridership was close to ZERO......Lets just say they lost loads and loads of money starting from day #1....

2500 % 60=41.66    Thats 41 round trips to Koh Larn..

Edited by fforest

NOT SURE WHERE THEY HAVE RUN WITH THE LATEST IDEA, A YEAR OR SO BACK, OF A FERRY THAT TAKES PASSENGERS AND VEHCILES TO THE SOUTH FROM SATTAHIP, STOPPING AT hh.   

sorry messed up the caps on phone

for this one, they had BOUGHT a proper, so called, ferry from overseas, even with bunks and cabins

13 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I think I cancel my day trip to Hua Hin this year.

Thanks for all the upto date info.

If you are coming from pattaya get the airport bus to suv then airport bus to hh easy peasy and cheap,bus to hh has single reclining seats and journey passes quickly if ye snooze.

8 hours ago, fforest said:

Running a ferry is a very money hungry business...Even when the ferry is not running everyone still must be paid...The Hua hin ferry only ran 30-40% full most days, and it cost a whopping 2500 round trip per person.....In the videos I saw Thai ridership was close to ZERO......Lets just say they lost loads and loads of money starting from day #1....

2500 % 60=41.66    Thats 41 round trips to Koh Larn..

Worth every satang , compared to the time and cost of a taxi 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

If you are coming from pattaya get the airport bus to suv then airport bus to hh easy peasy and cheap,bus to hh has single reclining seats and journey passes quickly if ye snooze.

Will have to try this , funnily enough I have avoided buses coaches in Thailand since my first and only trip on a "VIP" bus in the 90's - Samui to Hua Hin ... took ages and was the most uncomfortable trip of my life , the people in front of me reclined and left me with no legroom , was sat facing the aisle for the whole journey 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fforest said:

Reminds me of the fastest way to become a millionaire: Begin as a billionaire and start an airline.

• Like 1

I only took this ferry once, from HH to Pattaya - the trip was pleasant enough but I would really have preferred to ride on a ship with an open deck so I could have enjoyed some fresh air along the way; when we got to Bali Hai pier it was so full of Chinese tourists that I had to start physically bunting them out of my way to get to the shore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:51 AM, tommy dee said:

NOT SURE WHERE THEY HAVE RUN WITH THE LATEST IDEA, A YEAR OR SO BACK, OF A FERRY THAT TAKES PASSENGERS AND VEHCILES TO THE SOUTH FROM SATTAHIP, STOPPING AT hh.   

sorry messed up the caps on phone

for this one, they had BOUGHT a proper, so called, ferry from overseas, even with bunks and cabins

It's been abandoned too.  Someone involved with it posted regularly on another forum and despite making a few sailings it's not going ahead.

20 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

There's one a day direct bus now.  It started the day after I came back via the airport about Songkran time.

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, Stillearly said:

Worth every satang , compared to the time and cost of a taxi 

Agree and when we did this this trip the ferry was quite full. A pain in the ass trying to get a taxi into Hau Hin at a reasonable price but that had nothing to do with the ferry operator.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Agree and when we did this this trip the ferry was quite full. A pain in the ass trying to get a taxi into Hau Hin at a reasonable price but that had nothig to do with the ferry operator.

Trick is to book Airbnb accomodation Wayne, on the 3 occasions I have stayed in Hua Hin using 3 different Airbnb hosts they all came to pick us up at the ferry terminal and return us there at the end of our stay. But alas seems those days are gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, Stillearly said:

Will have to try this , funnily enough I have avoided buses coaches in Thailand since my first and only trip on a "VIP" bus in the 90's - Samui to Hua Hin ... took ages and was the most uncomfortable trip of my life , the people in front of me reclined and left me with no legroom , was sat facing the aisle for the whole journey 

It's fine as long as you don't mind a 5 to 7 plus hours journey.

The ferry was great and it's a shame they won't be running it again.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1

So it looks like a side trip to Hua Hin is unlikely to happen, I don't plan to sit in a car or bus for 5+ hours.

I did once travel from Bangkok to Hua Hin by train but it seemed to last forever, the train appeared to head a long way north before heading south to Hua Hin. I think I spotted the Great wall of China in the distance as we were turning.

I also tried to get a bus from Mo Chit and spent ages asking people who all pointed towards one end of the station but when I went there nobody seem to know about the bus. I found out later they were trying to tell me there was another bus station to the West of Bangkok.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

So it looks like a side trip to Hua Hin is unlikely to happen, I don't plan to sit in a car or bus for 5+ hours.

I did once travel from Bangkok to Hua Hin by train but it seemed to last forever, the train appeared to head a long way north before heading south to Hua Hin. I think I spotted the Great wall of China in the distance as we were turning.

I also tried to get a bus from Mo Chit and spent ages asking people who all pointed towards one end of the station but when I went there nobody seem to know about the bus. I found out later they were trying to tell me there was another bus station to the West of Bangkok.

You could always break it up , go to Bangkok for a couple of nights then HH and do the same on the way back 

will probably be my plan on future trips 

• Like 1

That's an idea, I may be in Bangkok for a day or two, but from what I remember getting to the bus station was a pain, it was in the middle of nowhere somewhere to the West of Bangkok.

I wonder if there are any buses from the airport?

1 minute ago, Siam Addict said:

That's an idea, I may be in Bangkok for a day or two, but from what I remember getting to the bus station was a pain, it was in the middle of nowhere somewhere to the West of Bangkok.

I wonder if there are any buses from the airport?

That's the route Phantom51red said he used in his post earlier