Airport Strikes and Disruptions

Horizondave

Just been announced that there will be a strike of airport workers at Gatwick from 28 July for 4 days and again from 04 August for 4 days.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/14/gatwick-airport-staff-strike-19128215/?ico=mosaic_uk

This will affect check in and baggage handlers and airlines such as BA, Easy Jet, Tui, Ryanair, Wizz etc., will be affected.

I am traveling on 24 July (looks OK) out of Gatwick but will be traveling back into Gatwick on 07 August (strike date). As long as I get out I am not so worried about the return and any disruption. 

Maybe this could be a good topic to place any future posts regarding airline/airport strike details that will offer pertinent updates for any of us traveling by air.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 3

8 minutes ago, john luke said:

Your link is basically related the travel industry, there is no mention of the UK NHS but i get your point. IMO the UK is streets ahead of any other country from what i'm seeing on Sky News every day. 

I am keeping an eye on any European Air Traffic Control strike news. A lot of papers are mentioning that there could be disruption and most of the articles relating to European ATC strikes were from about a week ago where it was believed strike dates were going to be announced last Monday, 10 July.

It is obvious the unions and EuroControl are still talking and, I for one, am hopeful that no ATC Europe strikes will take place. The French are renowned for striking, the Italians also, although they have an exempt period which protects their holiday period. See the link for Italian exemption from 27 July - 05  September. Other strike info is contained within the link.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/europes-ongoing-strike-related-travel-disruptions-2023-07-10/

Maybe the British government could also impose a law that precludes strike action during peak period, school holidays etc., but that is not likely.

Could get worse at Gatwick. Ballot to take place on 31 July and could see nearly all the baggage handlers and check in staff walking out leaving only non union staff working. Believe they need to give 2 weeks notice of strike dates so, hopefully, won't disrupt my return on 07 August anymore than it already is going to be. Not good news though for those travelling later in August.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/gatwick-chaos-set-to-worsen-as-more-baggage-handlers-vote-to-join-strike/ar-AA1dUk3x

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

It appears that yesterday and to a point, today, the ATC system is experiencing issues. They're blaming the French 🤣 for some reason.

Either way, anyone traveling and is delayed, you have my sympathies and my heart goes out to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

It appears that yesterday and to a point, today, the ATC system is experiencing issues. They're blaming the French 🤣 for some reason.

Either way, anyone traveling and is delayed, you have my sympathies and my heart goes out to you.

Hope it's fixed by Monday.   🙏🙏🙏