Heathrow On Google Earth

Siam Addict

I noticed on some websites, the Fire training plane has been deleted (the green one) but on others it is still visible. No idea why they do this though. It's also showing Terminal 2 as a building site from the Terminal building to the Gate area.

Could be perhaps for security reasons. LHR has a load of anti drone measures fitted now, along with other stuff to spot the ne'er do wells. After all, an old picture still shows the Airport infrastructure wrt runways etc.

2 hours ago, Siam Addict said:

I have just looked at Heathrow Airport on Google Earth and there is a total of three planes at Heathrow two are taxiing and the third is Concorde

Also a lot of the carparks are empty!

Anyone any ideas?

The picture is prolly from the time during covid, hence the low activity. If you look at the bottom of the Google Earth (PC version) there should be a note about when the picture was taken. Day, Month and year.

Edited by Lirchenfeld

Tried Google Maps and Google Earth and I get the same picture.

I have also tried Google Earth Pro and the plane on the runway and plane approaching T4 have also disappeared.

I have found a date and it is April 2020, But if a plane is not been prepared for takeoff it would be moved onto the apron away from the terminals. But there are NO planes whatsoever at Heathrow not even at the area to the East of the Airport where they service the aircraft.

2 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

I have also tried Google Earth Pro and the plane on the runway and plane approaching T4 have also disappeared.

I have found a date and it is April 2020, But if a plane is not been prepared for takeoff it would be moved onto the apron away from the terminals. But there are NO planes whatsoever at Heathrow not even at the area to the East of the Airport where they service the aircraft.

Yep, I found the same thing mate. strange and no real reason to it as far as I can see. When I focus in on my house the image is very recent. Although my car was at work, and I've no idea what the minibus from the local reggae club was doing parked outside...

Have you checked LGW or STN for the same thing?.

7 minutes ago, Siam Addict said:

If it is the concorde you are thinking about, then it is on display for historical reasons.

https://www.heritageconcorde.com/g-boab-208

• Great Info 1

Google Earth uses an algorithm to choose what they consider the best quality satellite image when you first select a site to view. In the case of Heathrow that happens to be an image from April 10, 2020 when air traffic was almost nil.

To the view the most current image, one taken this month, click on the Show Historical Imagery icon. That will bring up the most current image, regardless of quality.

User Guide

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Looking at the picture on Google Earth, it is pretty obviously photoshopped or a composite.

Zooming in, you can see quite a few jettys are fully extended, that would only be if there are planes present.

Heathrow was operating in April 2020 so the picture has been edited for effect.

that's odd, if you look at the rhs of the image, there appears to be building going on, I think this is Terminal 2 link to the gates which was finished ages ago. iirc there's 2 massive escalators which take you to ground level, along with a looong walk to gate 46 for the TG/BR flights.

afaik there's no construction ongoing at LHR for the last year or so, apart from mainetenace etc. I may well be wrong though.

Google Earth has layers which you can switch on or off.

LHR December 1945.

image.png

LHR December 1945 with the Photorealistic layer enabled

image.png

Now I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that they didn't have 4 engine swept wing jetliners in 1945.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1