Survivor guilt - Is it just me?.

Butch

Pffft! I am the King of survivor guilt. You are a mere amateur young man!!

Live your life as best you can, others weren't given the opportunity to live beyond their 20s and 30s.

Love, cherish and care for the ones you love without stifling them.

Enjoy every moment with your daughter, she'll be all grown up and gone in the blink of an eye!

EDIT = I am now feeling guilty that I forgot the anniversary of somebody shot off a tower in Coalisland on 16th Sept .. Living really shouldn't be this bloody difficult!!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think we all have those feelings at times, related to our own mortality. We are all going to die. Some of us are closer than others  

The older we get, the more people we will see gone  Should we feel guilty? No, logically, but guilt is an emotion and emotions are not usually logical. I am sorry for your bad news and that you didn't find out until much later. I have had a similar experience. 

I think it's best to celebrate that we are lucky to have what we have, while we have it.  I dont want anyone to feel guilty when I pass, but hopefully like you, I am also a c*nt😁 although I consider you to be a slightly bigger c*nt than me😁 but a very likeable c*nt nonetheless. 

We only get one shot at life and regardless of how long  that may be, nothing is ever fair 

Cancer in particular rarely discriminates and resides in all of us waiting for its time to strike. 

There is a saying that "only the good die young" which is not necessarily true but its a way of justifying an early departure. 

I must say, that sometimes I think that I have overstayed my welcome.🥲

Words well written Nightcrawl. 

• Like 1

I've lost several old mates in their 40's and 50's to cancer, liver failure etc. I'ts usually the big drinkers and smokers, it catches up with you eventually. I feel blessed to still be fit and healthy but i work at it and don't take anything for granted.

• Like 2

In Oman,where we @Butch,both were,there were six of us who used to hang out together.Myself & my missus,Bryan & his Thai missus & Geoff & his Philippina missus,who was a medical secretary.We had some really great times together.

The Philippina Judy was the first to go,from what I do not know,then Bryan(shortly preceded by a mate of us both, Keith,whose best man I was in Houston in 1986)who died of cancer in a Bangkok hospital(they lived in Jomtien).Then Geoff who I know had been very depressed since Judy's death,died of cancer in Manila.

There has been several other ex Oman mates who have passed away in the last few years,it's a long list.

Then there are the ex RAF mates who have gone.Went to a funeral of one in Durham a couple of years ago.

But one has to just keep on going & not feel any guilt!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

37 minutes ago, tko said:

This may sound harsh, and if so, I apologize.

I was USMC, and as we say, "once a Marine, always a Marine." I guess I still am.  I had the unhappy knowledge of way too many very good friends departing this life too early.  Including some who were hit with, as you say, "survivor's guilt" and decided to join the departed.

The Corps has a tradition of celebrating those who went before but aren't still with us. I managed to latch on to that, and still today avoid the guilt by celebrating their lives and friendships.  I am saddened, but no guilt.

Now as I get older, other friends I've met outside the Corps pass.  Joe, the manager at TQ in the early  aughts, who thought only about his Thai family and never let on that the cancer had him.  Shane at NLD.  Too many others to name.

I celebrate their lives, accomplishments,and friendship to this day.

I reread this before I hit the submit button.  I'm going do it, and if I'm out of line, mods please delete.

As far as I am concerned, you are exactly in line as is to be expected of a Marine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1