Car makes that you refuse to buy.

Butch

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

my daughtr has one, she loves it and nowadays really its just a VW.  but to me they will always be the pieces of shit that came in to us for repairs regularly and were cheap crap.  Alfas too, when they went wrong it was a nightmare.  i am a diesel guy nowadays as, despite an ecu, they are basically a simple and reliable engine that just needs lube, compression and fuel to run.  and avoid the ford 2.2 like the plague.  the 2.5 is massively superior and better built engine.  as said, this was my game, once.  the thai build Fords are solid as a rock. 

I can understand your daughter's love for it, more car for less money than a comparable VW (and even more so compared with an Audi) and my experiences with it are also only positive.

I've never owned or wanted to own a Vauxhall,except maybe for a VXR8,which is Aussie anyway.

The only Frog car I've owned was a Peugeot 106D van,which I got rid of when I was doing a 12-14hr shift then driving 200 miles home....nodding off would've been fatal.I wouldn't buy anything else French.

I've had BMW's,MB's,Fords,a Volvo,Austins,a Triumph,a VW,a Humber,Nissans & now have an Audi.Most of them were good cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

My first three Company cars were consecutive Morris Marina's followed by a Morris Ital which was basically another Marina. They were without doubt a leading candidate for the worst British motor cars of all time. They had no power at all and no brakes to speak of!

I had to drive them during the week but kept my sanity at the weekends getting through  a series of used A H Sprite/M G Midget and a Triumph Spitfire.

I bought my Daughters the  cheapest new Citroen saloon which served them well for a couple of years so one thumbs up for a Frog mobile. 

• Like 1

I guess I am from the old school of thought. I was always been of the belief that if you took care of something you would have no problems with it. During my life this has gotten me quite a ways I've always owned basic cars because I commuted a lot of miles and had to trade in frequently.

When my daughter graduated from high school I wanted to buy her car and I needed another car myself for the commute driving through the auto sales area where I lived there was a dealer that had about 20 Kia Rios on the lot all of them with the sign on them $6999. Good looking little cars any color you wanted they all had a JVC CD deck in them of course not automatic all five speeds no power windows no power locks you're basic little get around car. I picked out a red one she picked out a white one two hours later we were off the lot. She sold her a little while after but mine I drove the wheels off it putting on a couple hundred thousand miles without any major problems. Did the brakes once the clutch was still original had a timing belt put in once other than that I changed the oil myself at every 3,000 MI and it never stopped running never left me stranded never left me someplace because it wouldn't start.

I didn't have anybody to impress but myself that said I think no matter what you buy if you have it service properly and it's taken care of you'll get good service from it. My experience anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Yesitisdakid What year were they Larry? When I was doing better and consequently doing many favours for others, I leased a 2002 for my sister, really felt sorry for her as she had 2 boys with no daddies and a bankruptcy to boot. Left Calgary with the  fiance & drove the 2300 miles in 2 days-sister was ecstatic....the GF and I took separate one way flights back.Ended up being even kinder (and regretting it) by taking her KIA back in 2005 and meeting her in Thunder Bay with a 2005 Mazda3- that was a sweet ride, had it up to 120MPH in the boonies before Winnipeg

Anyway, like you stated, nothing broke down, sister and I kept it 4 years only though. Great on fuel, was just a base 5-speed S,but by far the most underpowered car I ever owned. Could shift into top gear at maybe 40MPH, and it did not bog down.Just twice I heard the exact same squeal from the tires passing a semi, which led me to believe the top speed was about 150/95mph. No governor either, the only other car I buried the needle was my Sunfire at 178 km/h, which is what many GMs of the era did. $7K sounds about right, I believe full price was $13,200 but our dollar was $.62 then- the following years had a few buddies who got amazing deals in California on imports once it hit 85 cents

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Never want to buy a Renault again. Bought a Renault 5 GTL in late 70s, broke down on me numerous times including the first week I had it from new. Even the engine gave up after a few years, terrible car.

Was also unfortunate to be given a Renault Captur by Alamo on a rental, was not impressed. Tinny and poor options, really didn't enjoy the ride.

Think Red Bull gave up on Renault as an engine supplier as well, if I am not mistaken.

36 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Never want to buy a Renault again. Bought a Renault 5 GTL in late 70s, broke down on me numerous times including the first week I had it from new. Even the engine gave up after a few years, terrible car.

Was also unfortunate to be given a Renault Captur by Alamo on a rental, was not impressed. Tinny and poor options, really didn't enjoy the ride.

Think Red Bull gave up on Renault as an engine supplier as well, if I am not mistaken.

I can only refer you to an earlier post from my hand:

On 11/16/2023 at 9:29 PM, Freee!! said:

There is a Dutch backronym for Renault and somehow Renault manages to live up to it.

Roest En Narigheid Achtervolgen U Lange Tijd

Rust And Troubles Pursue You a Long Time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1