Car makes that you refuse to buy.

Butch

This might be slightly contentious, as one mans meat is another mans poison, but my intention isn't to start an argument over which make is better, but more the reasons which makes, due to bad expereinces you'll never touch again, and can apply to bikes as well.

For me it's Vauxhall. I had a Vectra years ago and for a 4 year old car, it was just awful. It had rust, issues with the engine, it leaked into the footwell and was just a dog of a car. coming home from LHR one day with the family, it started to make a loud "growling" noise. Upon inspection, the mudflap had partly detached itself and was trapped between the wheel and the bodywork. I tore it off, got home and ended up selling the car the following week for £2k less than I'd paid for it.

good riddance and never again.

1 hour ago, Nickrock said:

Pretty much everything euro especially Landover rangerover or French

Aston Martin is ok 

You're safe with Landrover, since it's Indian now; owned by Tata. Before that it was a Fix Or Repair Daily.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always said, even after a Renault 5 turbo in my 20s, I'd never own anything french.

Then I saw a Peugeot at the right time at the right price. Had it for 4 years. Problem was it was a semi-automatic,  and the mechanised clutch started playing up. No one would touch it, not even the main stealer, so it was part chopped for a Ford thing. Mind you, paid £800 4 years ago, got £1900 px...

Agree with nothing electric though

Edited by Painter

3 hours ago, Painter said:

I always said, even after a Renault 5 turbo in my 20s, I'd never own anything french.

Then I saw a Peugeot at the right time at the right price. Had it for 4 years. Problem was it was a semi-automatic,  and the mechanised clutch started playing up. No one would touch it, not even the main stealer, so it was part chopped for a Ford thing. Mind you, paid £800 4 years ago, got £1900 px...

Agree with nothing electric though

I had an R5 GT Turbo in my 20's as well. It was a good car but for some reason went thru clutch cables.

I ended up a while later with a Peugeot 205, 1.1 engine and I put nearly 100k miles on the old girl before she gave up. During my ownership, it only needed a couple of driveshafts, but otherwise nothing at all. Damn good little bit of simple engineering.

6 hours ago, Painter said:

There is a Dutch backronym for Renault and somehow Renault manages to live up to it.

Roest En Narigheid Achtervolgen U Lange Tijd

Rust And Troubles Pursue You a Long Time

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

VW Passat .. A right shitty thing to get into reverse .....

I'd never buy a passat purely because of that incident with Howes & Woods in 88. The media said they were Signals, but I remember seeing photo of Woods on the wall of Ashford NAAFI. A bit further down the road I learned the truth.

The Col Sgt who worked at the local Army Recruitment (Col Sgt Dearing - former KRRC) told me in no uncertain terms that there would have been 9 dead Provo's had he been in that car. To this day it leaves a bitter taste as to why the Scots never got their hands dirty on that day, they were more than happy to get stuck in.

I won't touch a passat to this day mate.

1 hour ago, john1000 said:

British would have been on the list but alas none made now.

When I worked as a panel beater back in the 80’s and 90’s, Mini’s, Maestro’s, Montego’s were absolute shite quality. How can you repair a car when it leaves the factory shite?.

• Thumbs Up 1

for me, no skoda, lada, daihatsu, renault,  otherwsie I am fine.  I had ford on the list for decades, as a chrysler man i the US, now had a ford for 13 yrs and the bugger wont let me down.  was gonna replace her, truck but silly prices here, so am doin a re wrap, new bed cover and a bit of a tart up, as I only use her as a wheelbarrow and trip from home to work.  will keep another few years more

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, galenkia said:

When I worked as a panel beater back in the 80’s and 90’s, Mini’s, Maestro’s, Montego’s were absolute shite quality. How can you repair a car when it leaves the factory shite?.

I bought a left hand drive Mini Metro in Germany around '86. I have no idea where it was built but I hammered that poor little car way beyond what is expected of a small family car but it just carried on without a splutter .. Wonderful car. Perhaps I was lucky !!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That's why I posted ..

sorry mate, I was posting past my bedtime and didn't fully get the reference! (although I kind of did, but it went over my head lol)

I'd also had a glass or three of some delicious Tuscany red. Damn that stuff goes down well.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scottie said:

I once had a Lancia.Rusted to hell.

Company fitted a new wing and bonnet.

Oh mate, they were awful for rust. I've heard some horror stories of them even rusting in the showroom. My dream car was always the Lancia Stratos, but they're ridiculously expensive and costly to maintain. There is a "retromod" version available but I'd prefer an original in Martini colours.

• Like 1

Here in the colonies I can't relate to half the car models mentioned above but I've never been one for brand loyalty even though I seem to buy more Ford models than any other, it seems; one popular car here that I have no real wish to purchase would be a Subaru - they are all the rage with the greenies and save-the -world types but every time I see an add for a used one, they seem to me to have had far too much work put into them for the mileage showing on the unit - major components replaced, etc. - far more usually than for an equivalent Toyota, Nissan, Kia, etc...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tommy dee said:

for me, no skoda, lada, daihatsu, renault,  otherwsie I am fine.  I had ford on the list for decades, as a chrysler man i the US, now had a ford for 13 yrs and the bugger wont let me down.  was gonna replace her, truck but silly prices here, so am doin a re wrap, new bed cover and a bit of a tart up, as I only use her as a wheelbarrow and trip from home to work.  will keep another few years more

What is your problem with Škoda? I agree on the others.

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

What is your problem with Škoda? I agree on the others.

my daughtr has one, she loves it and nowadays really its just a VW.  but to me they will always be the pieces of shit that came in to us for repairs regularly and were cheap crap.  Alfas too, when they went wrong it was a nightmare.  i am a diesel guy nowadays as, despite an ecu, they are basically a simple and reliable engine that just needs lube, compression and fuel to run.  and avoid the ford 2.2 like the plague.  the 2.5 is massively superior and better built engine.  as said, this was my game, once.  the thai build Fords are solid as a rock.