GOING HOME

tommy dee

7 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

I've lived in London, Leeds and Hull most of my live- on no day have I seen anything as bad as some recent days in HH

There seems to be a huge collective blindness or just plain stupidity in people behaviours. I've seen runners coming down the Petkasem Road in it. Doubt they have chest problems either(yet)

Never heard an expat here talk about the pollution. People seem to carry on oblivous to the sight and the smell of it.

But in the 3 months plus I've been here, generally it's been OK. I'm enjoying it here but am just seeing how I go really.

I've got nowhere near your depth of experience living in Thailand/Asia and don't have your long term connection with HH. I it's obviously your choice mate🙂

Love to know where the smog is coming from as they tend to have different weather systems to Pattaya. 

I was born in London, lived in London, went to school and worked in London and I was probably assaulted every day with the fumes from cars etc., yet it never was never something I thought about.

Carrying on oblivious to issues, some beyond our control, is just living for me. I lived in Pattaya for 10 years and Hua Hin for nearly 5 yet these posts are the first posts that are letting me know about smog etc.

From time to time I read about smog or air pollution in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, maybe even Pattaya but it has never been something I worry about. I read they are burning fires in Indonesia etc., yet next week there is something else to worry about.

Maybe I don't have the interest in air quality that some have. Same as I know my prostate is ok but I have no idea what my count is or my other levels etc. I just know my doctor has told me I am fine and carry on.

For me, the possibility of smog in Hua Hin has never been an issue and I would go back to Hua Hin tomorrow. If I then, suddenly experienced, a sudden understanding that smog has affected my home life, I might then do something about it.

Did 15 years in Thailand, 5 in Philippines and 2 in Malaysia and smog was never anything I remotely worried about.

Can't wait to get back to Thailand one day. I know many of my friends who would

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Love to know where the smog is coming from as they tend to have different weather systems to Pattaya. 

I was born in London, lived in London, went to school and worked in London and I was probably assaulted every day with the fumes from cars etc., yet it never was never something I thought about.

Carrying on oblivious to issues, some beyond our control, is just living for me. I lived in Pattaya for 10 years and Hua Hin for nearly 5 yet these posts are the first posts that are letting me know about smog etc.

From time to time I read about smog or air pollution in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, maybe even Pattaya but it has never been something I worry about. I read they are burning fires in Indonesia etc., yet next week there is something else to worry about.

Maybe I don't have the interest in air quality that some have. Same as I know my prostate is ok but I have no idea what my count is or my other levels etc. I just know my doctor has told me I am fine and carry on.

For me, the possibility of smog in Hua Hin has never been an issue and I would go back to Hua Hin tomorrow. If I then, suddenly experienced, a sudden understanding that smog has affected my home life, I might then do something about it.

Did 15 years in Thailand, 5 in Philippines and 2 in Malaysia and smog was never anything I remotely worried about.

Can't wait to get back to Thailand one day. I know many of my friends who would

They are burning massively in Cambodia and the winds have brought the smog across Bkk, Pattaya and HH.

Unusual winds for this time of year I believe. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

They are burning massively in Cambodia and the winds have brought the smog across Bkk, Pattaya and HH.

Then I would see it as an unusual event and not something that would concern me when deciding to live long term in Thailand.

Go with the flow, enjoy your life and if something bothers you then just move on.  Pattaya itself bothered me and that is the reason I moved to Hua Hin. Perfect for me and I hope one day to lay my hat there again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

I think what helps us over here is we're fairly close (800+m) to the ocean and the prevailing wind is coming from the south off the ocean.  Farther north Rayong can get some pollution, but it's blown away from where we are.

Edited by tko
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, tko said:

I think what helps us over here is we're fairly close (800+m) to the ocean and the prevailing wind is coming from the south off the ocean.  Farther north Rayong can get some pollution, but it's blown away from where we are.

Yes for sure.

The burning has been going on for years, but the climate is changing and we are seeing different winds to what has happened in the past.

Not to wander too off topic,  but I see it when fishing in Canada every year. In May we used to get regular strong South Westerlies,  now we get very few by comparison. 

On 2/2/2024 at 8:40 AM, maipenrai said:

I have to admit that the constant pollution I am seeing in Pattaya here now, and can recall seeing last year as well, gets me down as the area of Canada I live in has some of the cleanest air in the world; I'm looking out of a 17th story window here in Jomtien and I can barely make out the curve of the coastline for the haze hanging in the air. 

Yep.... The concerns regarding general air quality over here is really starting to weigh on me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:14 PM, Krapow said:

I think it must be different in different areas.

I went to my dentist to book a cleaning appointment on Monday, was seen half an hour ago. It was just a clean, there was no rush anyway, Band 2, deep clean. I can call up my GP's in the morning, get speaking to a GP on the phone that day, if they deem it necessary, an in person appointment that day or next.

I really like my daughter's school, it's so much better in so many ways in how and what they teach than from when i was at primary school. They have the parents so much more involved. They notice and pick up on things really well with pupils, put in place plans to help. While when i was at school if you weren't good a certain subject or whatever, then you just weren't, that was it. 

My daughter's school is a great mix of ethnicities and religions and none. There are Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Christian etc, there are Bangladeshi, Vietnamese, Somali, Irish, English, Polish, lots mixed race kids etc, just like in the world. I could have got her into an about 75% white primary school, we're in the middle catchment of that one as well. But i didn't want her to go to a school which is too much top heavy in one demographic. 

I get people are pissed off with the boats coming, but as much as it's illegal, and i would want it stopped. It's not even double figures in percentage wise of immigration to the UK. It's legal immigration that's causing the big figures, of which i and others on this forum would be part of the legal immigration numbers via our wives. So when people complain it's getting too hard to get wives in or keep them here, then complain about immigration, you can't have it both ways if the Gov tries to curtail it.

But it suits the Tories to scream about the 8% illegals or whatever, so it distracts people from the other 92% they allow in legally. 

But as said, it depends where you are. As much as i like getting away from the big city, find it therapeutic. The benefits of living here are many, such as the many varied opportunities for me and my family, the relative ease to get medical related appointments etc. Like in Northern Ireland the NHS is a basket case, although due partly from having on government for 2 years. Maybe many more rural areas are the same. 

I would move from here if money was not an issue to maintaining the same standard of living, education, access to healthcare etc we current have. If and when i can retire, i would still keep this place on, and do 'long trips' so can keep the address specifically for said reasons. But the timing is okay at the moment, when that would come, the education and age would be pretty much be less my responsibility, and more on what my daughter would want to do at that stage. 

But everyone's situation and priorities are different, the above is just mine. Doesn't mean it's right for anyone else, just currently right for me/us. 

Great post.   ^^^

Everyone is in different circumstances.

Long term plans regarding anything is a crap shoot. Things change, people die unexpectedly, lose jobs, get sick, etc. That is why I always have some flexibility built in with any decision making.

When raising a child taking care of them is the absolute priority. 

With a learning struggle (even disability) tutors can be hired, although many people have difficulty just paying the rent. Sometimes the disibility may not even be diagnosed or realized. 

----------------------------------------------

Speaking of "health care". That can change suddenly also. I had coverage that was "set in stone" for nearly 40 years. Was told throughout those years what to expect and had things in line for retirement. 

Then within the past year the state yanked the rug out from under me, changed the law. I had to scramble like a mad man to make the adjustments. Pain in the ass, but at least I was able to manage it. Cost me a tidy amount I wasn't expecting as well. 

• 2 months later...

Revisiting this old thread after being back in the UK for a few weeks.

On the whole I've really enjoyed it. Taking time out of Thailand has made me realise how good the day to day life is there.

Downside to the UK for me is the spiralling cost of living. Feel for young people locked out of the housing market as interest rates have risen, and property values have continued to rise.

Realise more so now how lucky I am to be able to pick up, affordable quality rental accommodation.

Back to the burning heat next month 😀 are there any cooler climates in Asia in April/May that are good to escape to?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

When I look at the prices back in the U.S. I gag.

I may sweat a lot over here (356/24/7), but I will take it any day over it. 

The sheer boredom over there would kill me. Even on slow days here you see shit that blows your mind.

• Like 1