I Know I am Getting Old - But, WTF ?

Glasseye

Very easy to replace. The old light fixture can be removed by loosening the screws holding the wires in place from the fixture in the white terminal block. Any hardware store will have replacement LED light fixtures. Recommend sticking to a well known brand like Philips. You'll pay more, but they'll last a lot longer than the off brand fixtures.

000265258_ledcircular_mod19.5w.webp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Very easy to replace. The old light fixture can be removed by loosening the screws holding the wires in place from the fixture in the white terminal block. Any hardware store will have replacement LED light fixtures. Recommend sticking to a well known brand like Philips. You'll pay more, but they'll last a lot longer than the off brand fixtures.

Thanks.

But I am getting too old for that shit on a ladder. 

I barked at the landlord. He has his guy marching over tomorrow.

I doubt he brings a Phillips, but fcuk it.        lol

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yesterday, I get up on the ladder to change a lightbulb. And I find this.....    It's friggen wired in. I have never seen such a thing. 

WTF ?

bulb.jpg

That isn't a light bulb, it's a fluorescent tube mate, they are often wired in.

Make sure you turn off the breaker before playing with those wires or ya may not be getting any older. Lol

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Leds are definitely the way to go and Philips is a good recommendation too.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

Make sure you turn off the breaker before playing with those wires or ya may not be getting any older. Lol

I know.

The point is I got up there thinking it was a bulb. Not. I don't want to f**k with electricity on a metal ladder with my back in a odd position. 

Surely a recipie for disaster, especially when I can have it fixed for free the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Yep, LED'S are the way to go. Every light in wifey's house here are LED's. They are quite nice.

They light up the room quite nicely.

IMG_1345.JPGIMG_1344 2.JPG

Very nice. 

As long as you aren't the one who has to change the "bulbs".    lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Those are very popular in the Philippines as well, our Master Bedroom had one until I swapped it out for LED downlights.

They're cheap and relatively low energy, but Flouro's tend to dim with age rather than completely "blow" like a regular incandescent bulb does.

Get him to change the starter at the same time, if he's got one with him.

4 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

LEDs don't need a starter.

It's a florescent I think. Can't see the ballast though.

On 2/20/2024 at 6:49 PM, boydeste said:

As @boydeste mentioned.

6 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Just looked at the packaging:

That's FBWU's post, might not be the same as the one fitted.

If you look at the one on the ceiling , it's one tube and doesn't have the individual light diodes as the one in the pic above.

Anyway I'd be slightly concerned about the scorch marks as well  - if that's what they are.

I'm going for flouro. Bet ya one virtual San Miguel and a beach rd barfine that it is. 😋

Edited by Butch

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

If you look at the one on the ceiling , it's one tube and doesn't have the individual light diodes as the one in the pic above.

I'm going for flouro. Bet ya one virtual San Miguel and a beach rd barfine that it is. 😋

Still don't see the starter:

image.png

6 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Still don't see the starter:

image.png

In this design of lights that I've seen, the ballast and starter are in an assembly which is in the ceiling cavity mounted on the reverse of the fixing plate. If you look there appears to be an outline in black dust of a small ballast unit in the middle of the circular plate, as ballasts generate heat and a charge and as such attract dust particles over time.

there's also a couple of metal clips pushed through from behind that fix the ballast in place and don't correlate to the light itself - although the ones I've seen are always screwed in.

Either way, it's not costing the OP a penny so it really doesn't matter.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

A couple of years ago I converted all of the fluorescent lights in my house, almost all 4' double fixtures, to LED bulbs - ordered a box of them from Amazon and just worked my way through the fixtures, cutting out the ballasts (what posters are referring to here as "starters", I believe) and rewiring to suit, very easy to do and what a difference in light -  I'm happy to say that I haven't had any of these bulbs fail yet; with the fluorescent bulbs I was always having to keep after them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Zambo said:

This is the type in our home in Thailand. Ring fluorescent tube, ballast, starter (the blue thing).

As mentioned you can replace the whole thing with LED.

Existing-round-Fluro-Tube-Fitting_1024x.jpg

The main problem i find is that the lack of R&D in chinese factories results in cheap plastics that are "fried" after a few years. Try to get the tube out and all the plastic crumbles including the power cable plug that just falls apart.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

11 hours ago, Butch said:

Anyway I'd be slightly concerned about the scorch marks as well  - if that's what they are.

Pretty sure the light assembly in the OP's post is LED. Hard to tell because the picture is a bit out of focus, but it could be the individual LED diodes are in a semi-opaque circular light diffuser. It's fitted into a fixture that was designed for a fluorescent tube. The LED fixture is held in place by magnetics instead of screwed into the fixture.

Also characteristic of LED lights is the driver that is housed in the rectangular shaped plastic box.

image.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zambo said:

The main problem i find is that the lack of R&D in chinese factories results in cheap plastics that are "fried" after a few years. Try to get the tube out and all the plastic crumbles including the power cable plug that just falls apart.

I've had this with a bit of gear at home, basically a multi port charger which worked fine and dandy for 8 months, then started to become very delicate, although it hadn't been moved from its position.

I've swapped out all the bulbs in our house in UK and most of the ones in our place in the PI, but I went for Philips or Silvaynia bulbs, which are probably chinese made anyway but seem to be doing the job.