Random Pictures. (Just add one photograph that you personally have taken).

john luke

I'm doing a remodel turning a garage into a one bedroom apartment. I installed this 1.6 gallon on demand electric water heater that the client bought.  My fear is that it isn't big enough to do the job that the client is expecting. But I've got a feeling ill be installing a 3 or 4 gallon one in the near future.

20240306_173027.jpg

20240306_173100.jpg

20240306_173124.jpg

20240306_173110.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, thumper63 said:

I'm doing a remodel turning a garage into a one bedroom apartment. I installed this 1.6 gallon on demand electric water heater that the client bought.  My fear is that it isn't big enough to do the job that the client is expecting. But I've got a feeling ill be installing a 3 or 4 gallon one in the near future.

20240306_173027.jpg

20240306_173100.jpg

20240306_173124.jpg

20240306_173110.jpg

Those look like shark bite connectors. What's your opinion about those v. old school solder connections.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:45 PM, Trip said:

Those look like shark bite connectors. What's your opinion about those v. old school solder connections.

I grew up when the old timers were using lead, cast iron and threaded galvanized steel pipe so Shark Bites really are rocket science. I love and trust soldered copper so stayed away from shark bites for the longest time but they have won me over. Biggest mistakes people make are not seating the tubing all the way into the fitting and it's really easy to make that mistake as there are 2 points that are hit where it really feels that you are all the way in but actually aren't. Kind of like ukguys peepee and a Nigerian hooked. Ooops... sorry. 

What I do is mark the tubing with a black felt pin ( so it's easy to see ) at a minimum of one inch up from the ends. Works on both copper or plastic. Your mark should just barely be visible or its buried by the plastic collar. Works on all sizes of pipe up to and including 1 inch pipe. I couldn't tell you how many times I thought the fittings were totally seated ( and would of bet money on it ) but because of my marks I knew they weren't.... and I really had to push hard to snap them together. So today I swear by them. They are expensive but when you look at the time you spend to stop and solder pieces together then clean em up it ends up being a wash. I have all the tools to do Pex and the other pressed on fittings but there's just something about the look of copper and brass that is so cool. 

A bit winded but I hope that makes sense 

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

We were able to view the eclips  last October from down in Farmington New Mexico.  I took these pics through a pair of "eclips glasses" with a Samsung s23 cell phone ( I mistakenly said s22 in an above post). I was pleased with the outcome.

20231014_102254.jpg

20231014_092147.jpg

20231014_094042.jpg

20231014_094804.jpg

20231014_100539.jpg

20231014_101523.jpg

20231014_102558.jpg

20231014_103334.jpg

I have a S23 Ultra at home and the camera is amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/17/2024 at 9:44 PM, thumper63 said:

I grew up when the old timers were using lead, cast iron and threaded galvanized steel pipe so Shark Bites really are rocket science. I love and trust soldered copper so stayed away from shark bites for the longest time but they have won me over. Biggest mistakes people make are not seating the tubing all the way into the fitting and it's really easy to make that mistake as there are 2 points that are hit where it really feels that you are all the way in but actually aren't. Kind of like ukguys peepee and a Nigerian hooked. Ooops... sorry. 

What I do is mark the tubing with a black felt pin ( so it's easy to see ) at a minimum of one inch up from the ends. Works on both copper or plastic. Your mark should just barely be visible or its buried by the plastic collar. Works on all sizes of pipe up to and including 1 inch pipe. I couldn't tell you how many times I thought the fittings were totally seated ( and would of bet money on it ) but because of my marks I knew they weren't.... and I really had to push hard to snap them together. So today I swear by them. They are expensive but when you look at the time you spend to stop and solder pieces together then clean em up it ends up being a wash. I have all the tools to do Pex and the other pressed on fittings but there's just something about the look of copper and brass that is so cool. 

A bit winded but I hope that makes sense 

Thanks for that.

I use shark bites mostly in tight areas, especially in cabinets or similar areas where the torch might be a fire hazard. I'm wary of them in high stress/hidden areas because of the internal o-ring and still prefer copper solder joints in those areas.

PEX is great as long as you don't use it in outside areas or anywhere with UV light exposure. Here in the countryside you have to also be wary of rodents. For some reason they find PEX tasty.

• Great Info 2

8 hours ago, halfaboy said:

A coconut fell down. Right on the Ong...

DSC_6054.JPG

We had several coconut trees in the garden that we had to clear of coconuts every so often, in case they fell on a customer and killed them before they paid their bill. 😉
Paid a guy to climb them early morning before we opened, but can’t remember just how much, but wasn’t more than 500 Baht for the lot IIRC. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, thumper63 said:

I don't know why.... but I collect the damndest things. These are but a few of the hammers I have accumulate over the years

20190730_161935.jpg

20190730_155709.jpg

20190730_160113.jpg

I don’t see a toffee hammer amongst your collection. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1