Golf

Archie43

I don’t know what to believe anymore about rumoured defections to LIV. 5-6 days ago, it  sounded like surely  7 new guys were going to be announced as soon as Sunday night after the tournament, maybe Monday. Now we only have Tringale(nobody) and Niemann- sad he joined as he is only 23 and has lots of golf left. I thought Cam Smith would have put the suspense to rest once and for all. Harold Varner and Cam Young have said NO. 

The thing is, they have signed so many golfers, and this after  I was impressed they actually got off the ground to start. So as much as I want to see them fail, I tend to believe all the rumours because they end up being true. Anyway, happy to see Young stay on PGA, very disappointed in Joaquin though 

So it’s official now….Varner DID in fact go. Very disappointed for the Tour to lose Niemann & Smith, the PGA obviously has a big problem, and if the defections continue…..ah, just an ugly situation. Like I’ve said, we need a full year or two to see if LIV is viable. Even if real golf fans don’t tune in, there seems to be some support among the younger generation. IMO the PGA responded well by upping purses and working conditions,  what more do the players want in such a short time frame? Guaranteed $ in LIV amounts is not feasible, I mean they’ve already spent $2-3 BILLION USD with ZERO revenue

9ECDC26A-462C-46A2-9B13-A3BA95C17C5D.jpeg

DD942923-DF05-42D9-8620-94A622BD11D9.jpeg

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Similar to what happened in Darts when the PDC was set up offering more money.

BDO didn't move with the time, same as the old gits running county cricket clubs.

Not sure about the darts analogy, unless the PDC had changed the format to 301 rather than 501 ..   😉 

but the Saudis have very deep pockets , so doubt the LIV tour will disappear anytime soon 

12 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

So it’s official now….Varner DID in fact go. Very disappointed for the Tour to lose Niemann & Smith, the PGA obviously has a big problem, and if the defections continue…..ah, just an ugly situation. Like I’ve said, we need a full year or two to see if LIV is viable. Even if real golf fans don’t tune in, there seems to be some support among the younger generation. IMO the PGA responded well by upping purses and working conditions,  what more do the players want in such a short time frame? Guaranteed $ in LIV amounts is not feasible, I mean they’ve already spent $2-3 BILLION USD with ZERO revenue

9ECDC26A-462C-46A2-9B13-A3BA95C17C5D.jpeg

DD942923-DF05-42D9-8620-94A622BD11D9.jpeg

Not sure about the Elite bit , only Cam was in the top 10 I think 

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Not sure about the Elite bit , only Cam was in the top 10 I think 

Agreed mate, that was from from a pro-LIV Twitter account m. There are many of them out there, trolls who target the PGA and say Rory is its bitch, among other things

• Thumbs Up 1

We all know fitness and technology and the ball have made these guys hit it way longer.

Interesting stats from an article today: 

Champ and Rory led with 321 yards

Alex Noren in 100th place with 299.8. In 1982 Crenshaw was 100th with 254.9

Dead last was Stuard at 277, which was the same distance that LED the Tour in 1983

For the season, almost 4,000 drives over 350 were recorded

Pretty sad what happened now with the Presidents Cup. It’s always been a one-sided affair for the Yanks, but now poor Immelman had to add so many new players to make up for the LIV defectors. Happy to see 🇨🇦 Pendrith got a pick, but even I would lying if I thought he was one of the 12 best players in the world, outside of Europe/America. 

And yes the Americans have lost DJ and others, but obviously have so much depth it won’t matter. Hope we don’t see another 20-8 score like last Ryder Cup, but realistically……yeah

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just read that…..apparently 18 LIV guys are playing, and the odd man out is a Spanish friend of Jon, who is fighting to make a living & keep his membership. That’s BS, but if he’s really first alternate, someone WILL drop out. Daly was 9th alternate and won a major….

If not, very sad, that guy should have priority over the turncoats, after all this he’s still playing on the Tour he’s fighting to stay on….. SMH

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Was just about to post that, was watching NFL all day. Oh my, to go from winner to not even a playoff from 3 feet…..I’m sure it’s happened before but from that distance…..OUCH. But good on Danny for taking it like a man, and still playing the real Tour

International Team saving face a bit, I was scared it would end 23-5 or similar. Don’t see a miracle happening, but they closed the gap. Actually the 2 Canadians 🇨🇦 have been disappointing, not even a point between them so far.

As I say that, Pendrith holes a putt to go 2UP on Finau…