What are you listening to right now?

Krapow

17 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I think you both make valid points. Some his singing can at times be difficult to absorb.

I think the accent may be considered more 'Orleans or Canjun than what I would consider typical Southern.

Often when I hear a hard Southern drawl I find myself quickly heading in the opposite direction.

I am pretty sure that Leon was originally from Oklahoma.

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am pretty sure that Leon was originally from Oklahoma.

Yes, he was born in Oklahoma and went to high school in Tulsa, where he was involved in bands with David Gates and J. J. Cale before moving to LA and spending some years as a session musician before becoming a star in his own right. 

Probably one of the top 5 shows I've ever attended. Chicago Stadium (West Side), probably '75 or '76.

Sat stuck in the traffic on the way in driving a Ford Pinto with three other stoned buddies. Very hot August day, could smell the stink from the sewers. Thought we'd get robbed for sure.

Somehow finally made it to Sacred Ground. It was heavenly.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, he was born in Oklahoma and went to high school in Tulsa, where he was involved in bands with David Gates and J. J. Cale before moving to LA and spending some years as a session musician before becoming a star in his own right. 

I am certain that you are correct. As I remember things (foggy at best) Leon's break through work was with Joe Cocker in the movie version of "Mad Dogs and Englishmen". At least that is when he first caught my attention. circa 1971 or so.

Speaking of Joe Cocker

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/12/2024 at 11:17 PM, ChiFlyer said:

I am certain that you are correct. As I remember things (foggy at best) Leon's break through work was with Joe Cocker in the movie version of "Mad Dogs and Englishmen". At least that is when he first caught my attention. circa 1971 or so.

Speaking of Joe Cocker

Speaking about Joe....

• Like 1